Access denied error installing graphics driver

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BertieBigBollox@gmail.com, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Got a mobo with onboard nnforce graphics. Was working fine.

    Then I noticed that when I did properties, graphic adaptor was
    VGASAVE.

    Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers. No joy.
    For some reason it just didnt seem to detect the nforce graphics
    despite rebooting etc.

    Did a manual add hardware and its found it now. Trouble is I get an
    error message saying ACCESS DENIED.

    Any ideas?

    I've already tried an in place fix of XP. No joy.

    My next thing is to reinstall XP from scratch but I dont really want
    to have to reinstall all my software again. Might be best since my XP
    installtion seems a bit flakey at the moment.
    , Mar 16, 2009

  2. <> wrote in message
    > Got a mobo with onboard nnforce graphics. Was working fine.

    Do you have a laptop? Did you try the support site for that specific model?
    There are numerous versions of the embedded nNforce chip.

    > Then I noticed that when I did properties, graphic adaptor was
    > VGASAVE.
    > Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers. No joy.

    What drivers did you "uninstall", do you mean "VGA save", that is
    a "failsafe" setting, you should not have muddled with it.

    > For some reason it just didnt seem to detect the nforce graphics
    > despite rebooting etc.
    >
    > Did a manual add hardware and its found it now. Trouble is I get an
    > error message saying ACCESS DENIED.

    Probably because you've blindly muddled with your laptop.

    You first have to correctly identify which version Nnforce graphics.
    Then download the correct drivers. Either from Nvidia or from the
    laptop OEM.
    To install the *correct* drivers.
    In VGA save, select Properties/Advanced option/Update
    browse to direct to where you downloaded the *correct* drivers.
    As long as you haven't crippled VGA save, that will update the
    drivers for your embedded graphics.
    Shirley Crabtree, Mar 16, 2009

  3. Guest

    On Mar 16, 10:52 am, "Shirley Crabtree"
    <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Got a mobo with onboard nnforce graphics. Was working fine.

    > Do you have a laptop? Did you try the support site for that specific model?
    > There are numerous versions of the embedded nNforce chip.

    No. Its a desktop I built myself. Dont worry I got the right drivers
    for the mobo chip.

    > > Then I noticed that when I did properties, graphic adaptor was
    > > VGASAVE.
    > > Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers. No joy.

    > What drivers did you "uninstall", do you mean "VGA save", that is
    > a "failsafe" setting, you should not have muddled with it.

    I uninstalled the movo nvidia drivers. Didnt touch vgasave.

    > > For some reason it just didnt seem to detect the nforce graphics
    > > despite rebooting etc.

    > > Did a manual add hardware and its found it now. Trouble is I get an
    > > error message saying ACCESS DENIED.

    > In VGA save, select Properties/Advanced option/Update
    > browse to direct to where you downloaded the *correct* drivers.
    > As long as you haven't crippled VGA save, that will update the
    > drivers for your embedded graphics.

    Thats the problem. It wasnt letting me do that. Now that it does it
    tries to load the drivers and then gives me an ACCESS DENIED.

    Undoubtedly, my windows installation is problematic because I have
    been fiddling with it!!!
    , Mar 16, 2009
  4. <> wrote in message news:6e78eea4-2338-410a-a92b-

    > Thats the problem. It wasnt letting me do that. Now that it does it
    > tries to load the drivers and then gives me an ACCESS DENIED.

    > Undoubtedly, my windows installation is problematic because I have
    > been fiddling with it!!!

    Indeed.
    A quick search will result in zillions of solutions for access denied.
    Another search for "VGAsave, access denied" results in registry
    fixes.
    But I suggest you start with nvidia's dedicated nforce forums:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=34

    You have corruption.
    Shirley Crabtree, Mar 16, 2009
  5. "Shirley Crabtree" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message news:6e78eea4-2338-410a-a92b-
    >
    >> Thats the problem. It wasnt letting me do that. Now that it does it
    >> tries to load the drivers and then gives me an ACCESS DENIED.

    >> Undoubtedly, my windows installation is problematic because I have
    >> been fiddling with it!!!

    > Indeed.
    > A quick search will result in zillions of solutions for access denied.
    > Another search for "VGAsave, access denied" results in registry
    > fixes.
    > But I suggest you start with nvidia's dedicated nforce forums:
    > http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=34
    >
    > You have corruption.

    I just had the briefest of browsing and a BIOS update maybe required.
    But read through the threads, don't blindly meddle.
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=68833
    Shirley Crabtree, Mar 16, 2009
  6. Guest

    On Mar 16, 12:39 pm, "Shirley Crabtree"
    <> wrote:
    > "Shirley Crabtree" <> wrote in message

    > > <> wrote in message news:6e78eea4-2338-410a-a92b-

    > >> Thats the problem. It wasnt letting me do that. Now that it does it
    > >> tries to load the drivers and then gives me an ACCESS DENIED.

    > >> Undoubtedly, my windows installation is problematic because I have
    > >> been fiddling with it!!!

    > > Indeed.
    > > A quick search will result in zillions of solutions for access denied.
    > > Another search for "VGAsave, access denied" results in registry
    > > fixes.
    > > But I suggest you start with nvidia's dedicated nforce forums:
    > >http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=34

    > > You have corruption.

    > I just had the briefest of browsing and a BIOS update maybe required.
    > But read through the threads, don't blindly meddle.http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=68833- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the advice. I am wondering whether a clean install would be
    good though.

    I also cant install SP3. I have the access denied error with that. I
    did try going through the log files but spent ages for nothing.
    , Mar 16, 2009
  7. <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the advice. I am wondering whether a clean install would be
    > good though.

    Maybe, but it may still require a BIOS update?

    > I also cant install SP3. I have the access denied error with that. I
    > did try going through the log files but spent ages for nothing.

    So you have a pile of problems, and you're a google grouper too!
    Shirley Crabtree, Mar 16, 2009
  8. Guest

    On Mar 16, 3:06 pm, "Buffalo" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Got a mobo with onboard nnforce graphics. Was working fine.

    > > Then I noticed that when I did properties, graphic adaptor was
    > > VGASAVE.

    > > Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers. No joy.
    > > For some reason it just didnt seem to detect the nforce graphics
    > > despite rebooting etc.

    > > Did a manual add hardware and its found it now. Trouble is I get an
    > > error message saying ACCESS DENIED.

    > > Any ideas?

    > > I've already tried an in place fix of XP. No joy.

    > > My next thing is to reinstall XP from scratch but I dont really want
    > > to have to reinstall all my software again. Might be best since my XP
    > > installtion seems a bit flakey at the moment.

    > Make sure you are logging in as the Administrator, not just as a user,
    > otherwise you will receive an error.
    > You may have to go into Display Adapter (Display Properties by rt clk on a
    > blank spot on the Desktop and selecting Properties) and click change, show
    > all and select the VGA standard display adapter (may just be VGA-safe or
    > similar) and then reboot and install the proper graphic drivers for your
    > built-in graphics chip.
    > You should be able to get those off the net.
    > Remember, if you reinstall XP, you will need to backup anything you don't
    > want to lose, first.- Hide quoted text -

    Re-installed XP from scratch now and it works OK.

    I did have the foresight to install XP on a separate disk partition
    last time, so I could quite happily reformat this without losing any
    of my data (I even redirected My Documents).

    Still a pain having to reinstall all my apps...
    , Mar 17, 2009