    account..

    Every transaction in the Past, TradeMe and Mail Order, I have always used a Acc name, to me this
    is a way to confirm that you have given the correct acc number.

    jack, Jun 18, 2007

  2. jack

    Richard Guest

    jack wrote:

    > Struck a resent problem that I have never come across before
    >
    > A seller on TradeMe almost refused to give me his ACC Name so that I could transfer money to his
    > account..
    >

    > Every transaction in the Past, TradeMe and Mail Order, I have always used a Acc name, to me this
    > is a way to confirm that you have given the correct acc number.

    Never needed it myself.

    The most annoying thing is that you have to paste the account number
    into several fields on the ASB and Bank Direct internet banking, so its
    a real pain when people put it all as one long number.

    Richard, Jun 18, 2007

  3. jack

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 18, 12:37 pm, jack <> wrote:
    > Struck a resent problem that I have never come across before
    >
    > A seller on TradeMe almost refused to give me his ACC Name so that I could transfer money to his
    > account..
    >
    > Every transaction in the Past, TradeMe and Mail Order, I have always used a Acc name, to me this
    > is a way to confirm that you have given the correct acc number.

    What is an "Acc name"? Is it perhaps the account name? In which case
    how does that help you?

    Matty F, Jun 18, 2007
  4. jack

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:07:37 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >jack wrote:
    >>
    >> Struck a resent problem that I have never come across before
    >>
    >> A seller on TradeMe almost refused to give me his ACC Name so that I could transfer money to his
    >> account..
    >>

    >> Every transaction in the Past, TradeMe and Mail Order, I have always used a Acc name, to me this
    >> is a way to confirm that you have given the correct acc number.

    >Never needed it myself.
    >
    >The most annoying thing is that you have to paste the account number
    >into several fields on the ASB and Bank Direct internet banking, so its
    >a real pain when people put it all as one long number.

    Bank is 2 digits, branch is 4 digits, account is 7 digits and suffix
    is 3 digits (for ASB) or 2 digits for most/all? other banks.

    (Misspent years as analyst programmer for banks).

    Sue Bilstein, Jun 18, 2007
  5. jack

    Richard Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:

    >> The most annoying thing is that you have to paste the account number
    >> into several fields on the ASB and Bank Direct internet banking, so its
    >> a real pain when people put it all as one long number.

    > Bank is 2 digits, branch is 4 digits, account is 7 digits and suffix
    > is 3 digits (for ASB) or 2 digits for most/all? other banks.
    >
    > (Misspent years as analyst programmer for banks).

    Yes, which is 4 copy and paste operations, if they seperate them with
    dashes then it makes selecting each block of numbers a hell of a lot easier.

    Richard, Jun 18, 2007
  6. jack

    jack Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:41:51 -0700, Matty F <> wrote:

    >On Jun 18, 12:37 pm, jack <> wrote:
    >> Struck a resent problem that I have never come across before
    >>
    >> A seller on TradeMe almost refused to give me his ACC Name so that I could transfer money to his
    >> account..
    >>
    >> Every transaction in the Past, TradeMe and Mail Order, I have always used a Acc name, to me this
    >> is a way to confirm that you have given the correct acc number.

    >What is an "Acc name"? Is it perhaps the account name? In which case
    >how does that help you?

    Please think for a moment and Read what I had posted.

    All BANK forms have at the Top the Account name, I have been asked by banks to provide this..

    Its a Normal security feature that confirms that the account is correct..

    jack, Jun 18, 2007
  7. jack

    Fred Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:41:51 -0700, Matty F <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Jun 18, 12:37 pm, jack <> wrote:
    >>> Struck a resent problem that I have never come across before
    >>>
    >>> A seller on TradeMe almost refused to give me his ACC Name so that I
    >>> could transfer money to his
    >>> account..
    >>>
    >>> Every transaction in the Past, TradeMe and Mail Order, I have always
    >>> used a Acc name, to me this
    >>> is a way to confirm that you have given the correct acc number.

    >>What is an "Acc name"? Is it perhaps the account name? In which case
    >>how does that help you?

    > Please think for a moment and Read what I had posted.
    >

    > All BANK forms have at the Top the Account name, I have been asked by
    > banks to provide this..
    >

    > Its a Normal security feature that confirms that the account is correct..

    I pay all accounts, including trademe by internet. I have never needed an
    account name. If you want to use one to identify payment on your statement,
    make one up.

    Fred, Jun 18, 2007
  8. jack

    jack Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:34:15 +1200, "Fred" <> wrote:

    >"jack" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:41:51 -0700, Matty F <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>What is an "Acc name"? Is it perhaps the account name? In which case
    >>>how does that help you?

    >> Please think for a moment and Read what I had posted.
    >>

    >> All BANK forms have at the Top the Account name, I have been asked by
    >> banks to provide this..
    >>

    >> Its a Normal security feature that confirms that the account is correct..
    >>

    >I pay all accounts, including trademe by internet. I have never needed an
    >account name. If you want to use one to identify payment on your statement,
    >make one up.

    You Totally do not under stand, the Name must match the ACC number, has nothing at all to do with
    matching the payment

    jack, Jun 19, 2007
  9. In article <46776c9b$>, Richard <> wrote:
    >jack wrote:
    >
    >> You Totally do not under stand, the Name must match the ACC number, has

    > nothing at all to do with
    >> matching the payment

    >I just have a space for 2 digits of bank, 4 for branch, 7 for account,
    >and 3 for suffix.
    >
    >I also have to put an amount, and also something in particulars - the
    >reference and code fields are optional
    >
    >No name needed at all, what sort of banking are you doing that needs a
    >name on it?

    A deposit form. That said, the bank can look this up for you if you don't
    have it and ask nicely :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 19, 2007
  10. jack

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 19, 10:25 am, jack <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:41:51 -0700, Matty F <> wrote:
    > >On Jun 18, 12:37 pm, jack <> wrote:
    > >> Struck a resent problem that I have never come across before

    > >> A seller on TradeMe almost refused to give me his ACC Name so that I could transfer money to his
    > >> account..

    > >> Every transaction in the Past, TradeMe and Mail Order, I have always used a Acc name, to me this
    > >> is a way to confirm that you have given the correct acc number.

    > >What is an "Acc name"? Is it perhaps the account name? In which case
    > >how does that help you?

    > Please think for a moment and Read what I had posted.
    >
    > All BANK forms have at the Top the Account name, I have been asked by banks to provide this..
    >
    > Its a Normal security feature that confirms that the account is correct..

    Most people that I know transfer money using the Internet, and that
    does not require an account name.
    It never occurred to me that you'd go into a branch and do the
    transfer via paperwork. I think I've been Wogered :)

    Matty F, Jun 19, 2007
  11. jack

    bharmer Guest

    wrote:

    >"jack" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:41:51 -0700, Matty F <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>What is an "Acc name"? Is it perhaps the account name? In which case
    >>>how does that help you?

    >> Please think for a moment and Read what I had posted.
    >>

    >> All BANK forms have at the Top the Account name, I have been asked by
    >> banks to provide this..
    >>

    >> Its a Normal security feature that confirms that the account is correct..
    >>

    >I pay all accounts, including trademe by internet. I have never needed an
    >account name. If you want to use one to identify payment on your statement,
    >make one up.

    Direct payments into banks don't work if the name doesn't match the
    account number in my experience.

    bharmer, Jun 19, 2007
  12. jack

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jun 19, 2007
  13. jack

    bharmer Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:40:37 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >jack wrote:
    >
    >> You Totally do not under stand, the Name must match the ACC number, has nothing at all to do with
    >> matching the payment

    >I just have a space for 2 digits of bank, 4 for branch, 7 for account,
    >and 3 for suffix.
    >
    >I also have to put an amount, and also something in particulars - the
    >reference and code fields are optional
    >
    >No name needed at all, what sort of banking are you doing that needs a
    >name on it?

    I have had an on-line deposit transaction rejected by the National
    Bank because the account name entered was dissimilar to that of the
    account owner.

    bharmer, Jun 19, 2007
  14. jack

    Enkidu Guest

    bharmer wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:40:37 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> jack wrote:
    >>
    >>> You Totally do not under stand, the Name must match the ACC number, has nothing at all to do with
    >>> matching the payment

    >> I just have a space for 2 digits of bank, 4 for branch, 7 for account,
    >> and 3 for suffix.
    >>
    >> I also have to put an amount, and also something in particulars - the
    >> reference and code fields are optional
    >>
    >> No name needed at all, what sort of banking are you doing that needs a
    >> name on it?

    > I have had an on-line deposit transaction rejected by the National
    > Bank because the account name entered was dissimilar to that of the
    > account owner.

    I'm with Richard on this one. I don't have to know the account name when
    I use the BNZ to pay a bill.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 19, 2007
  15. jack

    jack Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:26:34 -0700, Matty F <> wrote:

    >On Jun 19, 10:25 am, jack <> wrote:

    >> >What is an "Acc name"? Is it perhaps the account name? In which case
    >> >how does that help you?

    >> Please think for a moment and Read what I had posted.
    >>
    >> All BANK forms have at the Top the Account name, I have been asked by banks to provide this..
    >>
    >> Its a Normal security feature that confirms that the account is correct..

    >Most people that I know transfer money using the Internet, and that
    >does not require an account name.
    >It never occurred to me that you'd go into a branch and do the
    >transfer via paperwork. I think I've been Wogered :)

    My Bank requires a name for Internet Banking..

    jack, Jun 19, 2007
  16. jack

    BTMO Guest

    "jack" <> wrote

    > My Bank requires a name for Internet Banking..

    Change banks.

    Mine doesn't.

    BTMO, Jun 19, 2007
  17. jack

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:24:37 +1200, jack <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:26:34 -0700, Matty F <> wrote:

    >>> Please think for a moment and Read what I had posted.
    >>>
    >>> All BANK forms have at the Top the Account name, I have been asked by banks to provide this..
    >>>
    >>> Its a Normal security feature that confirms that the account is correct..

    >>Most people that I know transfer money using the Internet, and that
    >>does not require an account name.
    >>It never occurred to me that you'd go into a branch and do the
    >>transfer via paperwork. I think I've been Wogered :)

    >My Bank requires a name for Internet Banking..

    My bank doesn't require a name for an online deposit either.

    Since your bank appears to be the only one that does require a name,
    which bank is it?

    Donchano, Jun 19, 2007
  18. On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:00:58 +1200, jack
    <> wrote:

    >You Totally do not under stand, the Name must match the ACC number, has nothing at all to do with
    >matching the payment

    You don't understand - the account name isn't used in processing - its
    only the account number which counts.

    They will sometimes look at the account name if there is a problem
    with the deposit (for example if the account number passes the
    checksum routine but doesn't exist and the deposit ends up at the
    Bank's UPI account) but that's all its for.

    I use this to my advantage when I pay for bills out of my business
    account but write cheques from my personal account - its easier for me
    to make an electronic payment and have the account number as the bill
    payee when in fact the money's going to my other account.

    Jason Clinton, Jun 19, 2007
  19. jack

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 19, 7:26 pm, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    > "jack" <> wrote
    >
    > > My Bank requires a name for Internet Banking..

    > Change banks.
    >
    > Mine doesn't.

    A Name is probably a good idea for Clueless People who are not able
    to type in Numbers correctly :)

    Matty F, Jun 19, 2007
  20. jack

    ~misfit~ Guest

    <Crossposting removed.>

    bharmer wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:40:37 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > > jack wrote:
    > >
    > > > You Totally do not under stand, the Name must match the ACC
    > > > number, has nothing at all to do with matching the payment

    > > I just have a space for 2 digits of bank, 4 for branch, 7 for
    > > account, and 3 for suffix.
    > >
    > > I also have to put an amount, and also something in particulars -
    > > the reference and code fields are optional
    > >
    > > No name needed at all, what sort of banking are you doing that
    > > needs a name on it?

    > I have had an on-line deposit transaction rejected by the National
    > Bank because the account name entered was dissimilar to that of the
    > account owner.

    AFAIK they only check *if* you actually provide a name. If you don't, it
    just gets paid into the account specified.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 19, 2007