    and tear? Is there any harm in using a higher mAh rate, and if so, up
    to what rate?

    Miles

    Miles, Mar 15, 2009

  2. Miles

    Guest

    On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:19:02 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Miles
    <> wrote:

    >I have 2 chargers for my Nokia phone: One is a Nokia that charges 500
    >mA and the other is a BS that charges at 800 mA. FYI, the batteries
    >being charged are Samya BL-4C which is rated at 550mAh and a Nokia BL-4C
    >which doesn't provide the info, however I have another old Nokia charger
    >(European style plug) that reads 800mAh.
    >
    >Presumably the BS charging rate is slower. Difference in battery wear
    >and tear? Is there any harm in using a higher mAh rate, and if so, up
    >to what rate?

    What counts is the rating of the charger. Theoretically, the slower the
    better. Batteries heat up during charging and heat is the killer. In
    practice you also need to balance how long it takes to charge with battery
    life. There is no easy answer.

    , Mar 15, 2009

  3. Miles

    Bob Larter Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:19:02 -0700, Miles
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 chargers for my Nokia phone: One is a Nokia that charges 500
    >> mA and the other is a BS that charges at 800 mA. FYI, the batteries
    >> being charged are Samya BL-4C which is rated at 550mAh and a Nokia BL-4C
    >> which doesn't provide the info, however I have another old Nokia charger
    >> (European style plug) that reads 800mAh.
    >>
    >> Presumably the BS charging rate is slower. Difference in battery wear
    >> and tear? Is there any harm in using a higher mAh rate, and if so, up
    >> to what rate?
    >>
    >> Miles

    > The Nokia BL-4C is a 720mah battery. You can use either charger.
    > The battery being charged will only take the current it needs as the
    > voltage between the two chargers is the same.

    Um, no, it doesn't work like that. Chargers wind up the terminal voltage
    to whatever it takes to generate the rated charging current. The 800mA
    charger will be faster (& hotter) than the 550mA unit.

    To the OP: No, there shouldn't be any problem with using the 800mA charger.

    Bob Larter, Mar 16, 2009