    one as long as the Volts and mAs ratings are the same? I have a universal
    one, but I don't want to use it if it will fry my camera.

    Thanks!

    Kevdela, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Kevdela

    Hawk Guest

    "Kevdela" <> wrote in message
    news:WZlxc.24$cS.3@edtnps89...
    > Just purchased my first digital camera, (HP 735) and now want to get an AC
    > adaptor for it. Do I have to get the HP AC adaptor, or can I use a

    regular
    > one as long as the Volts and mAs ratings are the same? I have a universal
    > one, but I don't want to use it if it will fry my camera.

    You can use an aftermarket adapter assuming:

    1) It delivers the correct voltage
    2) It provides the correct plug / polarity
    3) It can deliver the maximum amount of current that your camera requires
    to operate

    If your camera requires 6 Volts @ 1 Amp ... just be sure it can produce that
    continuously. It may not be a bad idea to add 10% margin just to be sure
    (say 1.1 Amps).

    In my particular case...I bought an aftermarket adapter for $17 that is more
    capable than the $80 Minolta adapter.

    (*>

    Hawk, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Be careful with the polarity as well.

    Art

    "Hawk" <> wrote in message

    > "Kevdela" <> wrote in message
    > > Just purchased my first digital camera, (HP 735) and now want to get an

    AC
    > > adaptor for it. Do I have to get the HP AC adaptor, or can I use a

    > regular
    > > one as long as the Volts and mAs ratings are the same? I have a

    universal
    > > one, but I don't want to use it if it will fry my camera.
    > >

    > You can use an aftermarket adapter assuming:
    >
    > 1) It delivers the correct voltage
    > 2) It provides the correct plug / polarity
    > 3) It can deliver the maximum amount of current that your camera requires
    > to operate
    >

    > If your camera requires 6 Volts @ 1 Amp ... just be sure it can produce

    that
    > continuously. It may not be a bad idea to add 10% margin just to be sure
    > (say 1.1 Amps).
    >
    > In my particular case...I bought an aftermarket adapter for $17 that is

    more
    > capable than the $80 Minolta adapter.
    >

    > (*>

    ---

    Arthur Bagster, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Kevdela

    Kimberlee Guest

    You may want to check your warranty.
    I just discovered that if you install a licensed version of Win-XP over the
    OEM version, HP voids the warranty.
    Weird...but just an example of the whole warranty thing.
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Kevdela

    Tesseract Guest

    Kevdela wrote:
    > Just purchased my first digital camera, (HP 735) and now want to get
    > an AC adaptor for it. Do I have to get the HP AC adaptor, or can I
    > use a regular one as long as the Volts and mAs ratings are the same?
    > I have a universal one, but I don't want to use it if it will fry my
    > camera.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'm glad you posted this question; I just purchased a 735 also and am
    looking for an AC adaptor as well. HP want too much for their
    "official" adaptor.
    I also found out very quickly that NIMH rechargeable batteries are an
    absolute necessity, as it eats alkalines within minutes.

    Tesseract, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Kevdela

    Kevdela Guest

    "Tesseract" <> wrote in message
    > Kevdela wrote:
    > > Just purchased my first digital camera, (HP 735) and now want to get
    > > an AC adaptor for it. Do I have to get the HP AC adaptor, or can I
    > > use a regular one as long as the Volts and mAs ratings are the same?
    > > I have a universal one, but I don't want to use it if it will fry my
    > > camera.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > I'm glad you posted this question; I just purchased a 735 also and am
    > looking for an AC adaptor as well. HP want too much for their
    > "official" adaptor.
    > I also found out very quickly that NIMH rechargeable batteries are an
    > absolute necessity, as it eats alkalines within minutes.

    The Duracell Ultras the camera with were useless a day after I got the
    camera. Even though the 'power meter' shows about 1/2 charge remaining they
    don't have enough juice to run the camera anymore. Maybe took around 30
    pics, and 1 video with the display on. Nimh batteries are the only way to
    go. Other than that I really like the camera.
    HP's price for the adaptor is 4x what a univeral one costs. I'm just a bit
    worried that the HP unit has something in it that a universal does not, and
    it might fry my camera.

    Kevdela, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Kevdela

    Tesseract Guest

    Kevdela wrote:
    > "Tesseract" <> wrote in message
    >> Kevdela wrote:
    >>> Just purchased my first digital camera, (HP 735) and now want to get
    >>> an AC adaptor for it. Do I have to get the HP AC adaptor, or can I
    >>> use a regular one as long as the Volts and mAs ratings are the same?
    >>> I have a universal one, but I don't want to use it if it will fry my
    >>> camera.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> I'm glad you posted this question; I just purchased a 735 also and am
    >> looking for an AC adaptor as well. HP want too much for their
    >> "official" adaptor.
    >> I also found out very quickly that NIMH rechargeable batteries are an
    >> absolute necessity, as it eats alkalines within minutes.
    >>

    > The Duracell Ultras the camera with were useless a day after I got the
    > camera. Even though the 'power meter' shows about 1/2 charge
    > remaining they don't have enough juice to run the camera anymore.
    > Maybe took around 30 pics, and 1 video with the display on. Nimh
    > batteries are the only way to go. Other than that I really like the
    > camera.

    Yep, same thing here. NiMH are great; lasts a good while with a full
    charge.

    > HP's price for the adaptor is 4x what a univeral one costs. I'm just
    > a bit worried that the HP unit has something in it that a universal
    > does not, and it might fry my camera.

    After reading the manual through, it mentions that the "problem" with an
    adaptor not of HP's making is that you might get one without proper
    current output capability, but as long as you get one that has 3.3V-3.7V
    DC output (center positive), at least 2500 mA current, there should be
    no problem.
    With the amount of time the rechargeable batteries last, I'm not sure
    I'll even get an AC adaptor. The charger I got comes with four
    batteries, so you always have two charged and ready to go, and it only
    takes 30 minutes for a recharge.

    Tesseract, Jun 10, 2004
  8. Kevdela

    Kevdela Guest

    "Tesseract" <> wrote in message
    > Kevdela wrote:
    > > "Tesseract" <> wrote in message

    > >> I'm glad you posted this question; I just purchased a 735 also and am
    > >> looking for an AC adaptor as well. HP want too much for their
    > >> "official" adaptor.
    > >> I also found out very quickly that NIMH rechargeable batteries are an
    > >> absolute necessity, as it eats alkalines within minutes.
    > >>

    > > The Duracell Ultras the camera with were useless a day after I got the
    > > camera. Even though the 'power meter' shows about 1/2 charge
    > > remaining they don't have enough juice to run the camera anymore.
    > > Maybe took around 30 pics, and 1 video with the display on. Nimh
    > > batteries are the only way to go. Other than that I really like the
    > > camera.

    > Yep, same thing here. NiMH are great; lasts a good while with a full
    > charge.
    >
    > > HP's price for the adaptor is 4x what a univeral one costs. I'm just
    > > a bit worried that the HP unit has something in it that a universal
    > > does not, and it might fry my camera.

    > After reading the manual through, it mentions that the "problem" with an
    > adaptor not of HP's making is that you might get one without proper
    > current output capability, but as long as you get one that has 3.3V-3.7V
    > DC output (center positive), at least 2500 mA current, there should be
    > no problem.
    > With the amount of time the rechargeable batteries last, I'm not sure
    > I'll even get an AC adaptor. The charger I got comes with four
    > batteries, so you always have two charged and ready to go, and it only
    > takes 30 minutes for a recharge.

    What kind of charger/battery set did you get? I was looking at the
    panasonic 1950mah batteries and charger. I heard this is a pretty good
    unit.

    Kevdela, Jun 10, 2004
  9. Kevdela

    Tesseract Guest

    Kevdela wrote:
    > "Tesseract" <> wrote in message
    >> Kevdela wrote:
    >>> "Tesseract" <> wrote in message

    >>> The Duracell Ultras the camera with were useless a day after I got
    >>> the camera. Even though the 'power meter' shows about 1/2 charge
    >>> remaining they don't have enough juice to run the camera anymore.
    >>> Maybe took around 30 pics, and 1 video with the display on. Nimh
    >>> batteries are the only way to go. Other than that I really like the
    >>> camera.

    >> Yep, same thing here. NiMH are great; lasts a good while with a full
    >> charge.
    >>
    >>> HP's price for the adaptor is 4x what a univeral one costs. I'm
    >>> just a bit worried that the HP unit has something in it that a
    >>> universal does not, and it might fry my camera.

    >> After reading the manual through, it mentions that the "problem"
    >> with an adaptor not of HP's making is that you might get one without
    >> proper current output capability, but as long as you get one that
    >> has 3.3V-3.7V DC output (center positive), at least 2500 mA current,
    >> there should be no problem.
    >> With the amount of time the rechargeable batteries last, I'm not sure
    >> I'll even get an AC adaptor. The charger I got comes with four
    >> batteries, so you always have two charged and ready to go, and it
    >> only takes 30 minutes for a recharge.
    >>

    > What kind of charger/battery set did you get? I was looking at the
    > panasonic 1950mah batteries and charger. I heard this is a pretty
    > good unit.

    I got an Energizer (CH30MNCP-4) charger with four rechargeable batteries
    at Target for $27.95. The batteries are 1850 mAh rechargeable NiMH
    batteries and the charger will recharge the batteries in 30 minutes. I
    used the camera extensively yesterday with pictures and video, and with
    the LCD display on the whole time, and it took all day to run the
    batteries down to where I had to exchange them for the other two charged
    batteries. The discharged batteries took about 20 minutes to come back
    up to full charge.
    Panasonic is good as well, especially if the batteries are 1950 mAh. I
    just picked up the Energizer because it was what they had on display.

    Tesseract, Jun 10, 2004
  10. Kevdela

    Larry Guest

    I am using a non Olympus one on my Olympus camera with no problems.
    Same situation - a rip off on the price. I found that the first one I
    tried was adequate with the 16MB memory card but when I used a 128 MB
    card, it didn't like it. Make sure you get one with some extra MAs than
    you require.

    Larry
    Please reply to list
    *****

    Kevdela wrote:
    : "Tesseract" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : : Kevdela wrote:
    : : : Just purchased my first digital camera, (HP 735) and now want to
    : : : get
    : : : an AC adaptor for it. Do I have to get the HP AC adaptor, or can
    : : : I
    : : : use a regular one as long as the Volts and mAs ratings are the
    : : : same?
    : : : I have a universal one, but I don't want to use it if it will fry
    : : : my camera.
    : : :
    : : : Thanks!
    : :