Abuse and intimidation of London photographer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Welcome To The Gulag, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. Welcome To The Gulag, Mar 27, 2008

  2. John Ferguson, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Welcome To The Gulag

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, John Ferguson
    says...

    > I reckon I'll avoid London if I ever get to GB.

    Same here - if this is how they treat you in the UK.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Mar 27, 2008
  4. Welcome To The Gulag

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2008-03-27 06:40:52 -0700, "Welcome To The Gulag" <> said:

    > This is scary stuff - seriously, what has happened to a once proud and free
    > nation?
    >

    > http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/03/you-cant-pictur.html

    [click

    > to play video]

    At WPPI in Las Vegas last week Dennis Orchard related a story about a
    fellow London wedding photographer. Apparently the photographer was
    posing the bride and attempting to turn her shoulders to an angle
    toward the camera when he accidentally brushed one of her breasts. He
    was charged with sexual assault, served six months in prison, and was
    placed on a dangerous sexual offenders list for 10 years. He is to have
    no contact with children under 18, meaning that his child portrait
    business is destroyed.

    If these stories are true, I would avoid visiting Great Britain until
    the country re-establishes fundamental human rights.
    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    C J Campbell, Mar 27, 2008
  5. Welcome To The Gulag

    Chris Savage Guest

    On 2008-03-27, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <>, John Ferguson
    > says...
    >
    >> I reckon I'll avoid London if I ever get to GB.

    > Same here - if this is how they treat you in the UK.

    Lived here all my life. Never been treated that way, even in London. But
    I only go there if I absolutely have to. Awful place, surrounded by a
    shell of even-more-awful places.

    I find a great way to avoid attention when photographing in public
    places is to wear a hi-viz jacket just like those two pretendy-plods in
    the video.

    --
    Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
    Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?

    Chris Savage, Mar 27, 2008
  6. Welcome To The Gulag

    MellowFellow Guest

    > At WPPI in Las Vegas last week Dennis Orchard related a story about a
    > fellow London wedding photographer. Apparently the photographer was
    > posing the bride and attempting to turn her shoulders to an angle toward
    > the camera when he accidentally brushed one of her breasts. He was
    > charged with sexual assault, served six months in prison, and was placed
    > on a dangerous sexual offenders list for 10 years. He is to have no
    > contact with children under 18, meaning that his child portrait business
    > is destroyed.

    No professional photographer EVER touches the model. Voice direction only

    MellowFellow, Mar 27, 2008
  7. Welcome To The Gulag

    ben brugman Guest

    "MellowFellow" <> schreef in bericht

    >> At WPPI in Las Vegas last week Dennis Orchard related a story about a
    >> fellow London wedding photographer. Apparently the photographer was
    >> posing the bride and attempting to turn her shoulders to an angle toward
    >> the camera when he accidentally brushed one of her breasts. He was
    >> charged with sexual assault, served six months in prison, and was placed
    >> on a dangerous sexual offenders list for 10 years. He is to have no
    >> contact with children under 18, meaning that his child portrait business
    >> is destroyed.
    >>

    > No professional photographer EVER touches the model. Voice direction only

    I have seen load of professional photographers touching the models.
    So the above statement is clearly false.

    By professional photographer, I mean a person who is making his or her
    living by taking photographs and selling them, or offering his photographic
    skills. E.g.:Taking baby pictures (like they do in malls) does require the
    handling of the baby's.

    Maybe your definition of professional photographer does exclude people who
    touch models, but I think then you have a very flawed definition.

    ben brugman

    ben brugman, Mar 27, 2008
  8. Welcome To The Gulag

    Alan LeHun Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This is scary stuff - seriously, what has happened to a once proud and free
    > nation?

    We can't afford proper policemen these days so we take people out of the
    job centers, put them in uniforms, and call them Community Wardens. They
    have, afaict, virtually no more legal powers than any other man in the
    street. I was saddened when they were introduced but now that they're
    here, the ones round our area are ok. Good source of local
    gossip/scandal.

    The pair in this video were community wardens. I have no doubt that if
    their superiors saw this video they wouldn't be too happy.

    Having said that, the rights of the individual are being eroded here,
    just as they are just about everywhere else in the 1st world.

    --
    Alan LeHun

    Alan LeHun, Mar 27, 2008
  9. Welcome To The Gulag

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2008-03-27 10:46:16 -0700, MellowFellow <> said:

    >> At WPPI in Las Vegas last week Dennis Orchard related a story about a
    >> fellow London wedding photographer. Apparently the photographer was
    >> posing the bride and attempting to turn her shoulders to an angle
    >> toward the camera when he accidentally brushed one of her breasts. He
    >> was charged with sexual assault, served six months in prison, and was
    >> placed on a dangerous sexual offenders list for 10 years. He is to have
    >> no contact with children under 18, meaning that his child portrait
    >> business is destroyed.
    >>

    > No professional photographer EVER touches the model. Voice direction only

    Nonsense.

    C J Campbell, Mar 27, 2008
  10. Welcome To The Gulag

    irwell Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:21:36 -0700, C J Campbell
    <> wrote:

    >On 2008-03-27 06:40:52 -0700, "Welcome To The Gulag" <> said:
    >
    >> This is scary stuff - seriously, what has happened to a once proud and free
    >> nation?
    >>

    >> http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/03/you-cant-pictur.html

    >[click
    >>
    >> to play video]

    >At WPPI in Las Vegas last week Dennis Orchard related a story about a
    >fellow London wedding photographer. Apparently the photographer was
    >posing the bride and attempting to turn her shoulders to an angle
    >toward the camera when he accidentally brushed one of her breasts. He
    >was charged with sexual assault, served six months in prison, and was
    >placed on a dangerous sexual offenders list for 10 years. He is to have
    >no contact with children under 18, meaning that his child portrait
    >business is destroyed.
    >
    >If these stories are true, I would avoid visiting Great Britain until
    >the country re-establishes fundamental human rights.

    Do not accidently touch the On switch of your P&S in your
    pants pocket, that lens extension could cost you.

    irwell, Mar 27, 2008
  11. Welcome To The Gulag

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <>, John Ferguson
    <> writes
    >Welcome To The Gulag wrote:
    >> This is scary stuff - seriously, what has happened to a once proud
    >>and free nation?
    >>
    >>http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/0
    >>3/you-cant-pictur.html
    >> [click to play video]

    >I reckon I'll avoid London if I ever get to GB.

    London isn't the friendliest place on Earth, but it isn't all that bad!
    The M25 ring road is best avoided unless you enjoy traffic jams.

    The identification number of the officious half wit that accosted him is
    clearly on the video so he should make a formal complaint. That guy
    clearly needs retraining. "Community Support" officers are policing on
    the cheap, poorly trained, badly equipped and paid a pittance. It is no
    surprise that some of them once in uniform act like jumped up little
    Hitlers - they are not representative of mainstream UK policing which is
    generally by consent.

    It is quite safe to ask a UK policeman the time. My university
    supervisor had permanent scarring from his first encounter with the US
    local police. And a historian from York was beaten to a pulp by a dozen
    or more US plainclothes guys for jaywalking a couple of years back.

    I have been stopped more than once for taking photos by anti-terrorist
    police in the UK and they are professional and courteous provided that
    you are reasonable with them. They are after all just doing their job
    and if you are taking pictures that might be useful to a terrorist you
    must expect to be challenged. I'd say security was a lot tighter in the
    past during the major IRA bombing campaign against UK city centres than
    it is now.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Mar 27, 2008
  12. Welcome To The Gulag

    Focus Guest

    Focus, Mar 28, 2008
  13. Welcome To The Gulag

    Mikia Guest

    "Welcome To The Gulag" <> wrote in message
    > This is scary stuff - seriously, what has happened to a once proud and
    > free nation?
    >

    > http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/03/you-cant-pictur.html
    >

    > [click to play video]

    Dammed if they do dammed if they don't.
    Fair enough he probably looked suspicious. If he was a bomber then BANG! He
    looked Sus that is why and he was in the middle of a place that has been
    bombed! I bet someone else around that place had been filming just like him
    and nothing was said.

    Mikia, Mar 28, 2008
  14. Welcome To The Gulag

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote

    > Do not accidently touch the On switch of your P&S in your
    > pants pocket, that lens extension could cost you.

    "Are you zooming closer or just pleased to see me?"
    ~ Mae West (kinda)

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Mar 28, 2008
  15. Welcome To The Gulag

    Chris Savage Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    On 2008-03-28, Mikia <> wrote:

    > "Welcome To The Gulag" <> wrote in message
    >> This is scary stuff - seriously, what has happened to a once proud and
    >> free nation?
    >>
    >> http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer
    >>

    > Dammed if they do dammed if they don't.
    > Fair enough he probably looked suspicious. If he was a bomber then BANG! He
    > looked Sus that is why and he was in the middle of a place that has been
    > bombed! I bet someone else around that place had been filming just like him
    > and nothing was said.

    What is 'suspicious' about using a video camera in a notorious tourist
    trap? The last people to bomb London a couple of years ago were caught
    on several CCTV cameras. None of the released footage shows them
    standing around waving video cameras.

    I'm not aware of any bomb in the place he was standing, but I couldn't
    identify it too accurately, one of the 'circuses' in the west end is my
    best guess. You obviously know better, care to share?

    What is this connection you are drawing, that you appear to think is
    obvious, between someone filming/photographing and a terrorist planting
    a bomb? I know of no such association.

    Chris Savage, Mar 28, 2008
  16. Welcome To The Gulag

    Roy G Guest

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message

    > At WPPI in Las Vegas last week Dennis Orchard related a story about a
    > fellow London wedding photographer. Apparently the photographer was posing
    > the bride and attempting to turn her shoulders to an angle toward the
    > camera when he accidentally brushed one of her breasts. He was charged
    > with sexual assault, served six months in prison, and was placed on a
    > dangerous sexual offenders list for 10 years. He is to have no contact
    > with children under 18, meaning that his child portrait business is
    > destroyed.
    >
    > If these stories are true, I would avoid visiting Great Britain until the
    > country re-establishes fundamental human rights.
    > --
    > Waddling Eagle
    > World Famous Flight Instructor

    Hi.

    I would be inclined to treat this story about the wedding photographer as an
    "Urban Legend".

    He would need to have done a lot more than just accidentally brushing a boob
    in order to get prosecuted.

    Even if he had been prosecuted, it would be very unlikely that he would have
    gone to jail for such a trivial first offence.

    As for the other story, I can think of a lot more reasons for avoiding
    London than the chance of being harassed by some foreign accented moron, who
    has less authority than the average traffic warden.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Mar 28, 2008
  17. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <>, John Ferguson
    > says...

    >> I reckon I'll avoid London if I ever get to GB.

    > Same here - if this is how they treat you in the UK.

    If it was then nobody would have bothered making a fuss about it.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Mar 28, 2008
  18. Welcome To The Gulag

    dmaster Guest

    On Mar 27, 11:36 am, John Ferguson <> wrote:
    > Welcome To The Gulag wrote:> This is scary stuff - seriously, what has  happened to a once proud and free
    > > nation?

    > >http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008...

    > > [click to play video]

    > I reckon I'll avoid London if I ever get to GB.

    Well, I spent several weeks in London immediately after the
    Underground bombings. Parts of the line were still blocked and
    security was quite heavy. My wife and I were carrying a camcorder, my
    none-too-inconspicuous Panasonic FZ20, and another digital camera. We
    took photos and video everywhere we went, including in the
    underground. Not once were we stopped, questioned, or harrassed. We
    did *ask* security personel if we could take their pictures before
    doing so, and we were never refused.

    My suspicion is that unless you are purposely trying to annoy someone,
    or taking pictures in an obviously restricted area, you won't have any
    trouble.

    Dan (Woj...)
    Dan (Woj...)

    dmaster, Mar 28, 2008
  19. Welcome To The Gulag

    Robert Brace Guest

    "dmaster" <> wrote in message
    On Mar 27, 11:36 am, John Ferguson <> wrote:
    > Welcome To The Gulag wrote:> This is scary stuff - seriously, what has
    > happened to a once proud and free
    > > nation?

    > >http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008...

    > > [click to play video]

    > I reckon I'll avoid London if I ever get to GB.

    Well, I spent several weeks in London immediately after the
    Underground bombings. Parts of the line were still blocked and
    security was quite heavy. My wife and I were carrying a camcorder, my
    none-too-inconspicuous Panasonic FZ20, and another digital camera. We
    took photos and video everywhere we went, including in the
    underground. Not once were we stopped, questioned, or harrassed. We
    did *ask* security personel if we could take their pictures before
    doing so, and we were never refused.

    My suspicion is that unless you are purposely trying to annoy someone,
    or taking pictures in an obviously restricted area, you won't have any
    trouble.

    Dan (Woj...)
    Dan (Woj...)

    dmaster:
    Your response is so typical of the "gee if I get in trouble with the
    authorities, then I must obviously be in the wrong and if they question me I
    must bow my head so they can more accurately land their blows".
    You must be Canadian, eh?
    What in hell do you mean by "purposely trying" to annoy someone and
    what, specifically, is an "obvious" restriction on an "area".
    Total BS, it is. The video shows what happens when someone has
    mistakenly interpreted their authority (racial comments aside) and is
    challenged -- nothing more.
    Those of us who have seen this Rent-A-Cop approach to Policing the
    public are not at all surprised by the public's reaction, especially when
    dealing with those in the public who have not accepted the Master VS. Peon
    relationship.
    Bob

    Robert Brace, Mar 28, 2008
  20. Welcome To The Gulag

    Pboud Guest

    Robert Brace wrote:

    > dmaster:
    > Your response is so typical of the "gee if I get in trouble with the
    > authorities, then I must obviously be in the wrong and if they question me I
    > must bow my head so they can more accurately land their blows".
    > You must be Canadian, eh?

    At least you're objective..
    > What in hell do you mean by "purposely trying" to annoy someone and
    > what, specifically, is an "obvious" restriction on an "area".

    Barb wire, electrical fencing, that sort of thing would be a fair
    indicator.. In some cases, you might have to read signs.
    > Total BS, it is. The video shows what happens when someone has
    > mistakenly interpreted their authority (racial comments aside) and is
    > challenged -- nothing more.
    > Those of us who have seen this Rent-A-Cop approach to Policing the
    > public are not at all surprised by the public's reaction, especially when
    > dealing with those in the public who have not accepted the Master VS. Peon
    > relationship.

    Master vs Peon? sorry, that doesn't sound like a Canadian concept so I'm
    a little shy on it.. Can you expand a bit?

    P.

    Pboud, Mar 28, 2008