Abtrusion Protector opinions?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jeff, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Anyone have any opinions about Abtrusion Protector (www.Abtrusion.com)? I
    think the concept is wonderful, but its given me one problem in the last two
    days since I installed it. Macromedia Fireworks MX has a known bug where a
    temp file ~e5d141.tmp is created in the user's local folder. The file is
    completely anomalous and unneccessary for anything, but the Macromedia
    Support team has never gotten around to creating a patch to prevent this
    file from being created. Abtrusion Protetor didn't exist this "temp" file
    when I installed it, nor did it "see" the file when I added the Macromedia
    Fireworks MX folder to the list of trusted software packages. Annoyingly in
    the end I had to tell Abtrusion Protector to include my
    C:\Docs\Jeff\~Local\temp folder as trusted, which isn't an optimal
    situation. I need to track down the folder Macromedai uses so I can
    restrict Abtrusion Protector's trusted list a little better.

    But it makes so much more sense for an antimalware app to identify processes
    which don't have premission to run and stop them from being loaded than it
    does to have a 150 kB signature file that every incoming data string is
    compared with, and which needs regularly updated to be useful.

    I'd recommend those who don't know about Abtrusion Protector to at least
    take a look at it. I learned about by browsing the Security file downloads
    on Majorgeeks.com. The publisher charges $400 for a corporate license, but
    it is free for personal home use. This is supposedly the wave of the
    future - "smart" antivirus software that doesn't require a comprehensive
    database of every known piece of malware to be effective. Many bad viruses
    spread because while they are brand new they begin to spread geometrically
    until several days pass and the antivirus vendors fingerprint them and begin
    to issue updated signature files. I update my copy of NAV 2004 Pro two or
    three times a week.
    Jeff, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Jeff

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <ueLld.85332$HA.28270@attbi_s01>, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >Anyone have any opinions about Abtrusion Protector (www.Abtrusion.com)? I

    ...snip...

    I invite you to also consider a program I mentioned a short while
    agowhich works in a similar manner: Process Guard

    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

    The home version is free, but the pay version has several
    additional desirable features.

    Regards,

    PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.
    nemo outis, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Chuck Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:23:32 GMT, nemo (nemo outis) wrote:

    >In article <ueLld.85332$HA.28270@attbi_s01>, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >>Anyone have any opinions about Abtrusion Protector (www.Abtrusion.com)? I

    >..snip...
    >
    >I invite you to also consider a program I mentioned a short while
    >agowhich works in a similar manner: Process Guard
    >
    >http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/
    >
    >The home version is free, but the pay version has several
    >additional desirable features.

    DiamondCS is one of my favorite free/pay ware sources on the net. Autostart
    Viewer, Port Explorer, TDS-3. Very useful tools all.

    >PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.

    That is a warning, no? Hopefully not an invitation to newbies. Warez
    distribution being one of the best places to download trojans, would you go
    looking for a reliable security product there?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Jeff

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <>, Chuck
    <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:23:32 GMT, nemo (nemo outis) wrote:

    ...snip...
    >DiamondCS is one of my favorite free/pay ware sources on the net. Autostart
    >Viewer, Port Explorer, TDS-3. Very useful tools all.

    Diamondcs's track record is one reason I have high confidence in
    Process Guard.

    >>PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.

    >That is a warning, no? Hopefully not an invitation to newbies. Warez
    >distribution being one of the best places to download trojans, would you go
    >looking for a reliable security product there?

    It was a dead neutral statement neither encouraging nor
    discouraging privacy. I am not the custodian of others' virtue.

    Of course, it would be extremely imprudent and unwise to use
    warez for security software in a production environment.

    However, there may be those who wish to experiment with the full
    version's features rather than those of the free version before
    deciding to purchase. Such experimentation should, of course, be
    done in an environment where everything is expendable and of low
    privacy/security value. However, a warez version on such a test
    platform could be an acceptable arrangement for stress-testing
    before making a purchase decision.

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Jeff

    Chuck Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:31:17 GMT, nemo (nemo outis) wrote:

    >In article <>, Chuck
    ><> wrote:
    >>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:23:32 GMT, nemo (nemo outis) wrote:

    >..snip...
    >>DiamondCS is one of my favorite free/pay ware sources on the net. Autostart
    >>Viewer, Port Explorer, TDS-3. Very useful tools all.

    >Diamondcs's track record is one reason I have high confidence in
    >Process Guard.
    >

    >>>PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.

    >>That is a warning, no? Hopefully not an invitation to newbies. Warez
    >>distribution being one of the best places to download trojans, would you go
    >>looking for a reliable security product there?

    >It was a dead neutral statement neither encouraging nor
    >discouraging privacy. I am not the custodian of others' virtue.
    >
    >Of course, it would be extremely imprudent and unwise to use
    >warez for security software in a production environment.
    >
    >However, there may be those who wish to experiment with the full
    >version's features rather than those of the free version before
    >deciding to purchase. Such experimentation should, of course, be
    >done in an environment where everything is expendable and of low
    >privacy/security value. However, a warez version on such a test
    >platform could be an acceptable arrangement for stress-testing
    >before making a purchase decision.

    Getting warez versions of security software is a good idea if your computer is
    otherwise protected, and you wish to simply try out additional software. But
    you should do additional security scanning of the software, to ensure that it is
    not infected with a virus or other malware.

    Security software has to be absolutely reliable, or it's useless. You should
    download security software only from websites provided by the author, or by an
    authorised distributor.

    One of the best ways to get infections offered to your computer is to surf to,
    and download from, warez sites. I do not think that any true security
    professional would recommend to anybody that they acquire security software, for
    any purpose, from a warez site.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Jeff

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <>, Chuck <> wrote:

    >One of the best ways to get infections offered to your computer is to surf to,
    >and download from, warez sites. I do not think that any true security
    >professional would recommend to anybody that they acquire security software,
    > for any purpose, from a warez site.

    Then you'd be wrong, wouldn't you?

    Moreover you seem to have reading comprehension problems. At no
    point did I recommend - I informed. I am not a busybody to
    decide for others what they should or should not do.

    As for warez, mp3s and other bootleg software, it is perfectly
    safe to download and use them if rudimentary precautions are
    taken. Without precautions, NO software is safe to download, not
    even commercial programs.

    Regards,
    nemo outis, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    > >One of the best ways to get infections offered to your computer is to

    surf to,
    > >and download from, warez sites. I do not think that any true security
    > >professional would recommend to anybody that they acquire security

    software,
    > > for any purpose, from a warez site.

    > Then you'd be wrong, wouldn't you?
    >
    > Moreover you seem to have reading comprehension problems. At no
    > point did I recommend - I informed. I am not a busybody to
    > decide for others what they should or should not do.
    >
    > As for warez, mp3s and other bootleg software, it is perfectly
    > safe to download and use them if rudimentary precautions are
    > taken. Without precautions, NO software is safe to download, not
    > even commercial programs.
    >
    > Regards,

    I'd rather just stick with downloads www.Majorgeeks.com recommends as I've
    been doing. Although the independent alt.privacy.spyware website
    http://shplink.com/main.htm is useful as well.
    Jeff, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Jeff

    theoretical Guest