    for her, so something that would work over that would be required.

    thanks in anticipation . . .

    henry

    henry, Feb 17, 2008

  2. henry

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    henry wrote:
    > hi everyone,
    > where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
    > lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
    > to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
    > seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
    > keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
    > up on my daughter's laptop.

    Windows Live Messenger or whatever its called today. Add a webcam and
    you can wave to each other.

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 17, 2008

  3. henry

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:29:06 GMT, henry <>
    wrote:

    >hi everyone,
    >where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
    >lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
    >to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
    >seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
    >keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
    >up on my daughter's laptop.
    >I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3 mobile "broadband" modem
    >for her, so something that would work over that would be required.
    >
    >thanks in anticipation . . .
    >
    >henry

    A good web site for information is
    www.voip-info.org
    As regards connecting voip ATA to WiFi, I guess you would need an
    Ethernet bridge...but I'll let someone else, who knows more about that
    then me, comment on that. An alternative would be to have a SIP WiFi
    phone ( with the emphasis on SIP - NOT SKYPE!!!!!!!!). That would be
    an easy option and they are not so expensive nowadays.
    Certainly, if you have WiFi you are making a good choice by choosing
    to use voip.
    You can, of course, put a soft phone on you computer to faclitate
    making/receiveing calls but this is not a very elegant way of going
    about things.
    Others will doubtless follow with perls of wisdom...

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---

    Brian A, Feb 17, 2008
  4. henry

    Guest

    In article <>, Brian A
    <> writes

    >A good web site for information is
    >www.voip-info.org
    >As regards connecting voip ATA to WiFi, I guess you would need an
    >Ethernet bridge...but I'll let someone else, who knows more about that

    Is there no type of wireless ATA, I'm thinking of an ATA with antenna,
    an ethernet port and phone ports; ethernet port so you can directly
    connect a laptop for configuration purposes to ensure it has the
    information it needs to connect to the right wireless network.

    I guess it would need 2 IP addresses, one set by the DHCP on the wifi
    network (or configurable) and one fixed 192.168.x.x to enable the laptop
    to access it.

    Would be very useful now that many hotels only offer wifi.

    --
    Kevin

    , Feb 18, 2008
  5. henry

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:57:16 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:29:06 GMT, henry <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>hi everyone,
    >>where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
    >>lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
    >>to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
    >>seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
    >>keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
    >>up on my daughter's laptop.
    >>I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3 mobile "broadband" modem
    >>for her, so something that would work over that would be required.
    >>
    >>thanks in anticipation . . .
    >>
    >>henry

    >A good web site for information is
    >www.voip-info.org
    >As regards connecting voip ATA to WiFi, I guess you would need an
    >Ethernet bridge...but I'll let someone else, who knows more about that
    >then me, comment on that. An alternative would be to have a SIP WiFi
    >phone ( with the emphasis on SIP - NOT SKYPE!!!!!!!!). That would be
    >an easy option and they are not so expensive nowadays.
    >Certainly, if you have WiFi you are making a good choice by choosing
    >to use voip.
    >You can, of course, put a soft phone on you computer to faclitate
    >making/receiveing calls but this is not a very elegant way of going
    >about things.
    >Others will doubtless follow with perls of wisdom...
    >
    >---
    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >---

    I didn't read your posting too well. It looks as if you were looking
    for a softphone solution.
    If so there are two main softphones:
    x-lite (http://www.download.com/X-Lite/3000-2349_4-10547103.html)
    and
    SJphone (scroll down on this page http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html)
    Both appear to work well in windows.
    SJphone works best on Ubuntu Linux, it also works best, with a bit of
    tweaking of the jitter and buffer settings, on Windows Mobile.

    The free version of x-lite only has one line enabled. You can,
    however, use the services of voxalot to permit a virtually unlimited
    number of outgoing providers.
    If you only want to use this to communicate between 2 people and
    nothing else then you have the choice of various providers. You'll get
    voicemail included so you'll be able to pick up messages when the
    computer is not on.
    However, I think it is best to be able to make outgoing calls to
    landlines so that the caller from Gemany can call a standard phone.
    The cheapest provider is probably vyke.co.uk. They do outgoing calls
    only, but it is only 2p/call to anywhere in Europe. This why it is a
    good idea to use voxalot as your provider, on the softphone, so you
    can have an incoming number. By using voxalot you won't need to use a
    computer to call the Germany based computer because there are SIP
    access numbers in the UK. Call one of those and then the voxalot
    number, preceded by *010 (Sipbroker access number) and you can call
    for local call charge.
    See vyke,co.uk, voxalot.com and sipbroker.com for further details.
    ..If you need more help please ask.

    ---

    Brian A, Feb 18, 2008
  6. henry

    alexd Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:34:21 +0000, kkm wrote:

    > Is there no type of wireless ATA, I'm thinking of an ATA with antenna,
    > an ethernet port and phone ports; ethernet port so you can directly
    > connect a laptop for configuration purposes to ensure it has the
    > information it needs to connect to the right wireless network.

    There's no technical reason why it wouldn't work, but I haven't seen any
    for sale. A VoIP router with wireless could probably be persuaded to do
    it if it had sympathetic firmware.

    > I guess it would need 2 IP addresses, one set by the DHCP on the wifi
    > network (or configurable) and one fixed 192.168.x.x to enable the laptop
    > to access it.
    >
    > Would be very useful now that many hotels only offer wifi.

    You might find a handset with Wifi and a SIP client more convenient for
    this.

    One caveat [and it's a pretty big one] about both of the above is that if
    the wireless access point uses some kind of captive portal that requires
    you to log in to a web page before you can get on the internet, then
    you're going to need a web browser either on the phone, or on a laptop
    plugged into the wireless ATA. You would also need config access to the
    ATA to set encryption settings as appropriate.

    The other thing is, WiFi is half duplex and voice is full duplex, so be
    prepared to moderate any expectations you might have about call quality.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:18:37 up 9 days, 20:21, 2 users, load average: 1.06, 1.11, 1.09

    alexd, Feb 18, 2008
  7. henry

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:34:21 GMT, wrote:

    >In article <>, Brian A
    ><> writes
    >
    >>A good web site for information is
    >>www.voip-info.org
    >>As regards connecting voip ATA to WiFi, I guess you would need an
    >>Ethernet bridge...but I'll let someone else, who knows more about that

    >Is there no type of wireless ATA, I'm thinking of an ATA with antenna,
    >an ethernet port and phone ports; ethernet port so you can directly
    >connect a laptop for configuration purposes to ensure it has the
    >information it needs to connect to the right wireless network.
    >
    >I guess it would need 2 IP addresses, one set by the DHCP on the wifi
    >network (or configurable) and one fixed 192.168.x.x to enable the laptop
    >to access it.
    >
    >Would be very useful now that many hotels only offer wifi.

    I am not aware of a wireless ATA. I think it would need a wireless
    bridge, a comment I made earlier in this thread, though it is
    something I have never tried. Linking an ATA to a wifi link is
    something I am interested myself to try and is something I have
    thought about. There are wifi phones available as an alternative to an
    ATA.
    Someone did comment once about the possibility of a Fritzbox operating
    as a wireless ATA, but there is no documentation, that I can find,
    that describes this and I am not aware of anyone, who frequents this
    group, having actually having tried doing it. I would certainly be
    interested to know of any set ups that link an ATA to wifi.

    ---

    Brian A, Feb 18, 2008
  8. henry

    Paul Hayes Guest

    henry wrote:
    > hi everyone,
    > where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
    > lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
    > to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
    > seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
    > keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
    > up on my daughter's laptop.
    > I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3 mobile "broadband" modem
    > for her, so something that would work over that would be required.
    >
    > thanks in anticipation . . .
    >
    > henry

    Hi,

    one of these:

    http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=107

    would allow you to connect an ATA or IP phone to a wireless network.
    It'd be best used with a Linksys ATA or phone (as they are 5volts so you
    can share one power supply between the two devices) but in theory should
    work with any Ethernet device.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    P.S. that product also available from other websites and shops ;)

    Paul Hayes, Feb 19, 2008
  9. henry

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:55:19 +0000, Paul Hayes
    <> wrote:

    >henry wrote:
    >> hi everyone,
    >> where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
    >> lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
    >> to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
    >> seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
    >> keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
    >> up on my daughter's laptop.
    >> I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3 mobile "broadband" modem
    >> for her, so something that would work over that would be required.
    >>
    >> thanks in anticipation . . .
    >>
    >> henry

    >Hi,
    >
    >one of these:
    >
    >http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=107
    >
    >would allow you to connect an ATA or IP phone to a wireless network.
    >It'd be best used with a Linksys ATA or phone (as they are 5volts so you
    >can share one power supply between the two devices) but in theory should
    >work with any Ethernet device.
    >
    >cheers,
    >Paul.
    >
    >P.S. that product also available from other websites and shops ;)

    Thanks for that info. Paul, I'd not seen this device before - very
    interesting. Just Froogled it and it appears, as you say, to be
    available from many others.

    ---

    Brian A, Feb 19, 2008
  10. "Paul Hayes" <> wrote in message
    > henry wrote:
    >> hi everyone,
    >> where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
    >> lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
    >> to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
    >> seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
    >> keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
    >> up on my daughter's laptop. I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3
    >> mobile "broadband" modem
    >> for her, so something that would work over that would be required.
    >>
    >> thanks in anticipation . . .
    >>
    >> henry

    > Hi,
    >
    > one of these:
    >
    > http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=107
    >
    > would allow you to connect an ATA or IP phone to a wireless network. It'd
    > be best used with a Linksys ATA or phone (as they are 5volts so you can
    > share one power supply between the two devices) but in theory should work
    > with any Ethernet device.
    >
    > cheers,
    > Paul.
    >
    > P.S. that product also available from other websites and shops ;)

    Just to say I have two of the Linksys Wifi dongles and can confirm they are
    an excellent product, doing "just what it says on the tin".

    The only caveat I'd put in is that they are best suited to what I'd describe
    as "fixed wifi" use, as they can't memorise the settings for more than one
    network at a time. The software for changing settings is quite easy to use,
    but it's still a bit of a palaver if you have to keep doing it as you move
    from one location/wlan to another.

    However it sounds as though what you want is relatively static (at least on
    the scope of "a few days at a time on one wlan"), so they'd probably be
    ideal at least for your end of the link.

    --
    Thomas Sandford

    Thomas Sandford, Feb 19, 2008
  11. henry

    Guest

    >> http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=107
    >>
    >> would allow you to connect an ATA or IP phone to a wireless network. It'd
    >> be best used with a Linksys ATA or phone (as they are 5volts so you can
    >> share one power supply between the two devices) but in theory should work
    >> with any Ethernet device.
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> Paul.
    >>
    >> P.S. that product also available from other websites and shops ;)

    >Just to say I have two of the Linksys Wifi dongles and can confirm they are
    >an excellent product, doing "just what it says on the tin".
    >
    >The only caveat I'd put in is that they are best suited to what I'd describe
    >as "fixed wifi" use, as they can't memorise the settings for more than one
    >network at a time. The software for changing settings is quite easy to use,
    >but it's still a bit of a palaver if you have to keep doing it as you move
    >from one location/wlan to another.

    Thank you Paul and Thomas for your info/experience.

    Sounds ideal for me, when I'm in a hotel for 2 weeks, the kind of
    duration time that would make the hassle worth while.

    Someone commented on call quality as a result of wifi being "half
    duplex" is this an issue or in your experience is call quality fine.

    --
    Kevin

    , Feb 19, 2008