absence of router advertisment messages in reponse to roiuter solicitation messages

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonia sainani, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. sonia sainani

    sonia sainani

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    hi,

    I need a basic thing to be clarified here. I am using a wireless laptop connected to an access point which acts as the gateway for me. If I am not wrong, when I get connected to the network, I should receive my default gateway using IRDP. When I capture the packets using ethereal on my PC, I see icmp router solicitation messages being sent by my system but don't see any incoming icmp router advertisement msges. However, my system displays the default gateway ip address even if no router advertisement msges are received. How does this work?

    When I connect to the network , this is the flow of messages i see:

    dhcp transaction between my system and the access point
    ping request sent by the access point
    gratuitous arp sent by my system
    icmp router solicitation msges sent by my system

    Regards,
    Sonia

    sonia sainani, Oct 20, 2006