    Jim from Hilton Head
    --
    Remove the obvious to reply.

    Jim, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Jim

    Sjo Guest

    "Jim" <> schreef in bericht
    news:BD2C0A52.E66D%...
    > Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
    > zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
    > kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.
    >
    > Friend of mine has a Tamron AF28-300 that will work on a digital camera

    and
    > at under $400 sounds good.
    >
    > Can anybody comment on the Tamron? Or some other lens in the 28-200/300
    > range?
    >
    > Please, no flames, it's tough enough moving from the 35mm world trying to
    > figure out all the lens descriptions.
    >
    > Jim from Hilton Head
    > --
    > Remove the obvious to reply.

    Hi Jim,

    You could concider the Simga 70-300 APO Makro Super II. From what I've
    heared is this lens good value for money (it's not a super lens, but it does
    the job). Or the some more expensive Nikon 70-300 D ED. Together with the
    kitlens you've got a nice area covered with one of those. If it need to be
    one lens you could concider the Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3 XR, but personally I
    would keep the kit lens for the "under 70mm" range (wide angle is nice).

    Good luck.

    Sjo

    Sjo, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Jim

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: About Zoom Lens for Nikon D70
    >From: "Sjo"
    >Date: 7/27/2004 11:02 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >"Jim" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
    >> zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
    >> kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.
    >>
    >> Friend of mine has a Tamron AF28-300 that will work on a digital camera

    >and
    >> at under $400 sounds good.
    >>
    >> Can anybody comment on the Tamron? Or some other lens in the 28-200/300
    >> range?
    >>
    >> Please, no flames, it's tough enough moving from the 35mm world trying to
    >> figure out all the lens descriptions.
    >>
    >> Jim from Hilton Head
    >> --
    >> Remove the obvious to reply.

    >Hi Jim,
    >
    >You could concider the Simga 70-300 APO Makro Super II. From what I've
    >heared is this lens good value for money (it's not a super lens, but it does
    >the job). Or the some more expensive Nikon 70-300 D ED. Together with the
    >kitlens you've got a nice area covered with one of those. If it need to be
    >one lens you could concider the Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3 XR, but personally I
    >would keep the kit lens for the "under 70mm" range (wide angle is nice).
    >
    >Good luck.
    >
    >Sjo

    Get an 80-200 zoom.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jul 27, 2004
  4. On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:34:10 -0400, Jim <>
    wrote:

    >Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
    >zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
    >kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.
    >
    >Friend of mine has a Tamron AF28-300 that will work on a digital camera and
    >at under $400 sounds good.
    >
    >Can anybody comment on the Tamron? Or some other lens in the 28-200/300
    >range?
    >
    >Please, no flames, it's tough enough moving from the 35mm world trying to
    >figure out all the lens descriptions.

    Not a flame, but if you are looking at less-than-top quality, i.e. not
    better than the kit lens, why not keep the kit lens for shorter than
    70 mm?

    You will get better for the money with a 70-200 than with a 28-200.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    "Nuke the gay whales for Jesus" -- anon T-shirt

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Jul 27, 2004
  5. "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
    > zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
    > kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

    How do you figure $1400 for a Nikon 28-200? $300 is a more realistic price
    estimate for that lens.

    Andrew Koenig, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Why not the 70~300 AF-Nikkor? or the 800~200 AF-Nikkor

    Darrell Larose, Jul 27, 2004
  7. Jim

    _gt Guest

    > > Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a

    longer
    > > zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the

    D70
    > > kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

    > How do you figure $1400 for a Nikon 28-200? $300 is a more realistic

    price
    > estimate for that lens.

    Yup...
    http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NK28200G

    _gt, Jul 27, 2004
  8. Jim

    SlipKid Guest

    I use the Nikon 70-300 D ED with good results............

    SlipKid, Jul 27, 2004
  9. On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:34:10 -0400, Jim <>
    wrote:

    >Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
    >zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
    >kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

    Are you sure you aren't looking at the wrong price list?

    Nikon does have a 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S which sells for around $1400.
    Nikon's 28-200G is a _very_ different beast, and should sell for
    around $300 new.

    --
    Michael Benveniste --

    Michael Benveniste, Jul 28, 2004
  10. Jim

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:34:10 -0400, Jim <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a

    longer
    > >zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the

    D70
    > >kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.

    > Are you sure you aren't looking at the wrong price list?
    >
    > Nikon does have a 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S which sells for around $1400.
    > Nikon's 28-200G is a _very_ different beast, and should sell for
    > around $300 new.

    And a very good lens for the value. I use mine quite often. My 18-70 gets
    more use, as it is wider, and my 12-24 gets use too, but the 28-200 is a
    great value.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 28, 2004
  11. Jim

    AK Guest

    I use the 70-200mm 4.5-5.6 Nikon zoom I "saved" when I traded in my regular
    SLR for the D70 - it works fine, and I use the 18-70 mmkit lens for the
    shorter lengths.

    The big advantage of the Tamron is that you pretty much cover the range with
    one lens, and don't have to mess around changing lenses.

    Alan

    AK, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Jim

    greg Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > Just got the Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70 lens. Been looking for a longer
    > zoom and really like Nikon's 28-200 but the price tag is more than the D70
    > kit. Not sure I can handle $1400 for a lens.
    >
    > Friend of mine has a Tamron AF28-300 that will work on a digital camera

    and
    > at under $400 sounds good.

    I'm assuming you're talking about the 80-200mm f/2.8. It's a great lens,
    very solid and professional, and you'll appreciate the 2.8 through the
    entire zoom range.

    But why don't you look into what I did... buying it used. I found several
    used at local shops in my town, all in very good condition, for $800 CDN
    (about $600 US).

    Or, you can consider the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6. It's not nearly the lens
    as the f/2.8, but it's hard to beat the price ($250 US new):

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=149607&is=USA

    greg, Aug 4, 2004