    in vista, wireless card must use wlan service?

    lee
    03-19
    securelee, Mar 19, 2007

  2. Hi
    Most Wireless cards come with their own utility and you have a choice you
    can use the manufacturer utility or Vista WZC, but Not both.
    If the card did not come with its own utility you must use the WZC.
    If you do use WZC make sure that it is set for auto start.
    This page was written for WinXP it is the same principle in Vista, find the
    similar menus in Vista and start the WZC service and out it to Auto Start.
    Few useful links for Wirlees issues.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 19, 2007

  3. "securelee" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed the vista home Premium version,
    > and I have a realtek rtl8185L wireless card,driver is microsoft version.
    > when I disable the wlan service and reboot,
    > I find the rtl8185L is disable, it is strange.
    > who know the reason?
    > If I want to use rtl8185L wireless card, I must start wlan service?
    >
    > in vista, wireless card must use wlan service?

    Yes, in Vista the wireless service is the only way to operate a WLAN device.
    You can develop your own plugins to this service, create profiles and so on.

    Regards,
    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Mar 19, 2007
  4. securelee

    securelee Guest

    Hi, Pavel A

    Thanks.
    If I develop a filter driver or im driver on vista, so I can query/set all
    OID_DOT11_XYZ.
    then can I manage the wlan device(wireless card) , for example associate to
    AP
    and do 802.1x authentication without ms wlan service ?

    lee
    03-20

    "Pavel A." <> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:...

    securelee, Mar 20, 2007
  5. securelee

    securelee Guest

    Hi, Jack

    Thanks.
    I know on xp MS permit other tools(like odyssey client, aegis client,
    wpa_supplicant) to manage wireless card. but on vista, MS permit other tools
    to manage wireless card?
    Pavel A told me that only wlan service can manage the wireless device on
    vista.
    I don't find the information on microsoft.com or msdn.com .
    can you told me the result?

    lee
    03-20

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:...

    securelee, Mar 20, 2007
  6. "securelee" wrote:
    > Hi, Pavel A
    >
    > Thanks.
    > If I develop a filter driver or im driver on vista, so I can query/set all
    > OID_DOT11_XYZ.
    > then can I manage the wlan device(wireless card) , for example associate to
    > AP
    > and do 802.1x authentication without ms wlan service ?

    Please read up here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa816369.aspx
    ( note: this is the new API - you won't need any OIDs )

    Regards,
    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Mar 20, 2007
  7. securelee

    securelee Guest

    Hi, Pavel A

    Thanks.
    do you mean that on vista MS doesn't permit other tools to manage wireless
    card?
    we know on xp MS permit other tools(like odyssey client, aegis client,
    wpa_supplicant) to manage wireless card.
    on vista "Native Wifi API " must be used for wireless card manage?

    lee
    03-20

    "Pavel A." <> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:...

    securelee, Mar 20, 2007
  8. securelee

    Pavel A. Guest

    "securelee" <> wrote in message news:%23%...
    > Hi, Pavel A
    >
    > Thanks.
    > do you mean that on vista MS doesn't permit other tools to manage wireless card?
    > we know on xp MS permit other tools(like odyssey client, aegis client,
    > wpa_supplicant) to manage wireless card.
    > on vista "Native Wifi API " must be used for wireless card manage?
    >
    > lee
    > 03-20

    Yes, the way how you write these tools has been radically changed.
    Older XP utilities replaced the WLAN service (either by disabling it on the specific
    adapter, or by clobbering it entirely ).
    The new Vista compatible utilities use the API to drive the WLAN service and
    make it do what they want. One example of this new crop of wireless
    clients is Lenovo Active Connections. However, the supplicant on XP is
    still not extensible, as it is on Vista.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Mar 20, 2007
  9. securelee

    securelee Guest