About to re-surface. . .

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony Sperling, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Hello!

    I have been plagued by numerous problems with my otherwise so wonderfully
    stable x64 machine. It's been one thing after the other, and it all started
    with the dreadfull NEWDOTNET malware attack of almost six month's ago.

    Just now, I found out I'm a reasonably happy man!

    Here's why - following the removal of that destructive piece of (you know
    what) I took down the system completely. Backed up everything that was
    valuable, using Nero 7 Premium, from the 'other' partition of my dual-boot.
    I re-installed from scratch and attempted to restore the BU. The BU, I had
    done using the 'Verification' routine in Nero, mostly since Nero was
    completely new, it was the first serious job, and I wanted to be sure that I
    didn't do anything stupid. Verification completed and all was honkey dorey.
    To my utter dismay and horror, when restoring, Nero asks me to insert the
    labeled disk, it doesn't recognize it, there is nothing on it! Same with the
    other two disks - 13GB +.

    Over the days, I slowly adjusted to the thought of having to start all over.
    I very nearly even used those three disks for something else - why not? They
    were completely empty, which I verified myself again and again. Somehow, I
    did take the trouble and used new media. Then today, I wanted to use those
    disk, and checked them - different machine! And now the BU is there - all
    and everything in it's splendid entireity! So, you can understand - I am
    getting out a bottle of something this evening, and it won't be bubbling!

    But all is not well, the CD/DVD drives that I had sitting on IDE Channel two
    suddenly was reported as 'not compatible with ATAPI', by BIOS when I booted.
    I put them on to Channel one, and moved the IDE HD on to Channel two - and
    that was allright, but now I am having trouble installing something else
    (that 'other' OS).

    The shortness of the flatcable is making it difficult to accomodate for
    everything - right now I made it work by disconnecting the DVD Rom drive and
    having HD and Burner on Channel one together. This is fine too, but I am
    clueless about what, except chipset failure, that can keep having the drives
    on Channel two as they used to be. (Oh, yes - I did change the cable, I
    scrapped one of those nice round things that should help the airflow!)

    I have taken the decision to re-install the motherboard drivers - I have
    never had to do that before, I think - but who knows in this day and age?

    Anyone can think of other possible causes shall be welcome to 'air' them.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 14, 2006

  2. This definitely sounds like hardware, Tony. I'd do the obvious, first. Flash
    the BIOS with an updated one. Replace and reseat all the cables. Run a
    memory test, though I doubt it's that. But certainly I'd reseat the DIMMs.
    Remove any non-critical cards from the backplane.

    There are known issues with Kodak software and CD/DVD drives in x64, as you
    know, but it sounds to me like you're well before anything like that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Yes, good thinkin', Charlie!

    It suddenly struck me while reading this, do you think it could be the
    battery? I've had this machine for just under two years, that means the
    different parts probably is over 2½ years old. A bit early perhaps, but well
    worth considering, I assume.

    Re-seating of stuff has commenced. I flashed the BIOS not so long ago, and
    it was quite successful, still an option my instinct may have me do that
    later in the process.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Well, a flakey battery is a possibility, I suppose, but I'd expect a clear
    message if that were it. And your entire BIOS reset to default.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 14, 2006
  5. True, I'd suspect. These quicksilver jobs don't level off, they just die,
    don't they?

    Tony. . .

    > Well, a flakey battery is a possibility, I suppose, but I'd expect a clear
    > message if that were it. And your entire BIOS reset to default.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, good thinkin', Charlie!
    > >
    > > It suddenly struck me while reading this, do you think it could be the
    > > battery? I've had this machine for just under two years, that means the
    > > different parts probably is over 2½ years old. A bit early perhaps, but
    > > well
    > > worth considering, I assume.
    > >
    > > Re-seating of stuff has commenced. I flashed the BIOS not so long ago,

    and
    > > it was quite successful, still an option my instinct may have me do that
    > > later in the process.
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message