About to pull my hair out!!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jpwilliamson@gmail.com, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    I've been working at trying to setup a simple ad-hoc 802.11g network
    for the past three hours and I'm just about at my wits end and ready to
    give up. I just don't understand why it's not working and I'm hoping
    someone here can give me a bit of direction. Here's are the steps I've
    followed so far. Can anyone tell me if I've missed something or WHY the
    two computers just aren't communicating?

    HOST COMPUTER:

    1. Installed Linksys USB adapter and drivers
    2. Gave Linksys adapter an IP address of 192.168.0.1
    3. Gave Linksys adapter a mask of 255.255.255.0
    4. Did not specify a default gateway
    5. Set it to obtain dns servers automatically.
    6. Specified it is only to access ad-hoc networks
    7. Added my network name to the preferred networks box

    CLIENT COMPUTER (IBM ThinkPad Laptop):

    1. Installed XMedia PCMCIA 802.11g adapter and drivers
    2. Gave the XMedia card an IP address of 192.168.0.2
    3. Gave the XMedia card a mask of 255.255.255.0
    4. Did not specify a default gateway
    5. Set it to obtain dns servers automatically
    6. Specificed it is only to access ad-hoc networks
    7. Added my network name to the preferred networks box.

    Now, after all of this, the wireless cards see each other with no
    problem. I get the standard Windows popup telling me that I am
    connected and that my signal strength is excellent. Everything seems
    fine.

    However, when I try to ping either computer from the other, all of my
    pings time out and it doesn't even look like the other computer is even
    seeing them at all (the amount of received data stays the same).

    I've disabled all firewalls (including Windows Firewall) and have even
    turned off Antivirus. It still isn't working. Can anyone clue me in to
    what I might be doing wrong?

    Thanks!
    John
    , Sep 3, 2005

  2. RobDee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I've been working at trying to setup a simple ad-hoc 802.11g network
    > for the past three hours and I'm just about at my wits end and ready to
    > give up. I just don't understand why it's not working and I'm hoping
    > someone here can give me a bit of direction. Here's are the steps I've
    > followed so far. Can anyone tell me if I've missed something or WHY the
    > two computers just aren't communicating?
    >
    > HOST COMPUTER:
    >
    > 1. Installed Linksys USB adapter and drivers
    > 2. Gave Linksys adapter an IP address of 192.168.0.1
    > 3. Gave Linksys adapter a mask of 255.255.255.0
    > 4. Did not specify a default gateway
    > 5. Set it to obtain dns servers automatically.
    > 6. Specified it is only to access ad-hoc networks
    > 7. Added my network name to the preferred networks box
    >
    > CLIENT COMPUTER (IBM ThinkPad Laptop):
    >
    > 1. Installed XMedia PCMCIA 802.11g adapter and drivers
    > 2. Gave the XMedia card an IP address of 192.168.0.2
    > 3. Gave the XMedia card a mask of 255.255.255.0
    > 4. Did not specify a default gateway
    > 5. Set it to obtain dns servers automatically
    > 6. Specificed it is only to access ad-hoc networks
    > 7. Added my network name to the preferred networks box.
    >

    > Now, after all of this, the wireless cards see each other with no
    > problem. I get the standard Windows popup telling me that I am
    > connected and that my signal strength is excellent. Everything seems
    > fine.
    >
    > However, when I try to ping either computer from the other, all of my
    > pings time out and it doesn't even look like the other computer is even
    > seeing them at all (the amount of received data stays the same).
    >
    > I've disabled all firewalls (including Windows Firewall) and have even
    > turned off Antivirus. It still isn't working. Can anyone clue me in to
    > what I might be doing wrong?

    Hi John,
    see this with particular reference to your points 2 and 7.

    Rob

    RobDee, Sep 3, 2005