    tried putting the card in my PocketPC and reading it and it shows up
    the same. Obviously the pictures are on the card if the camera can
    read them. The question is how do I get them onto my PC?
    MC, Dec 17, 2003

  2. MC

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi MC

    Just a thought... can't possibly hurt, and just might save
    your holiday pictures.

    Why don't you create a temporary directory on your
    c: drive; call it something foolish, like maybe
    test or something...

    You already know (hopefully) what the drive name of your
    usb removable drive is; let's pretend it's j: like mine is.

    So, open a dos window. Copy :\*.* c:\test

    Now you *might* have an extra copy of what's on the
    card on your hard drive to play around with.

    So, close the dos window, start windows explorer,
    go into the test directory, and try renaming the files
    from the gibberish you see now to reasonable names.
    You know whether you took .jpg's or .tif's or whatever.
    So if .jpg for instance, rename the first 1.jpg; the
    second 2.jpg and so on.

    Then see if you can open them and look at them.

    No guarantees, just a thought. Hope it helps.
    Good luck.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 17, 2003

  3. MC

    Marius Guest

    There isn't any risk when you try to recover the data with a recovery tool.

    1. Download PC Inspector Smart Recovery (freeware) at www.pcinspector.de
    2. Connect a cardreader to your PC
    3. Put the memorycard in the reader
    4. Install and start the program
    5. Look at the results

    When this procedure doesn't work, try PC Inspector File Recovery .
    I hope you're succesfull!

    Marius
    Marius, Dec 17, 2003
  4. MC

    Giorgis Guest

    If you can see them via the camera but you cannot see them with your card
    reader.
    How about you connect the camera to the PC, and no use the card reader. You
    may be able to get the pictures. Sometimes the cameras assume something
    about a file structure, and put the pictures in the device through a hack
    for speed.

    But the file structure is not complete for a generic card reader.

    Good luck

    Giorgis, Dec 17, 2003
  5. (MC) wrote in message news:<>...
    > This really has to do more with windows than digital cameras I
    > suppose.. I needed my digital cam for a vacation. I grabbed the SD
    > memory card out of my PDA since it had room on it (it is a Toshiba
    > Pocket PC). I wasn't sure if I would have to format it- I put it in
    > and it worked fine. I took a bunch of pics. The pictures are on the
    > camera and can be viewed with no problems. When I connected to my PC
    > (win xp) with thte USB cable, and explore the drive, it contains
    > gibirish file names consisting of all these directories and files with
    > name that contain mostly squares. I can't even copy the files to my
    > PC to play with them- I get a cannot read from source file error. I
    > tried putting the card in my PocketPC and reading it and it shows up
    > the same. Obviously the pictures are on the card if the camera can
    > read them. The question is how do I get them onto my PC?

    Have you looked into Photo Rescue? It recovered all of my pix. Here's a link.
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

    GG
    Glenn Gundlach, Dec 17, 2003