    to download, is it true what I read somewhere that I will need Vista
    installed on the machine?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, May 29, 2009

  2. No, you will not need Vista. However, if you want to do an _upgrade_, Vista
    is the only pre-cursor. You can't do an upgrade from XP or XP x64. So it's
    clean install time. But we are all used to that.<G>

    Use Windows Easy Transfer from the Win7 DVD you create before you wipe out
    your existing, and it should help with getting setup on Win7.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2009

  3. O.K. - Thanks Charlie. Much as I suspected, but then MS tends to dream up a
    new scheme when you least exspect it? (sometimes!)

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, May 29, 2009
  4. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, May 29, 2009
  5. Carlos,

    Are you confident these language pack downloads are safe? This is the
    first place I have seen one for English. Windows update didn't offer an
    English pack.

    Bobby Johnson, May 29, 2009
  6. Good of you to tell, Carlos. My self, I do everything strictly in
    'Computerese'. The only Scandinavian tongues on my machines are for
    spell-checks. But I am fairly alone, I believe - one fine day someone will
    thank me for telling them.

    The download is coming on nicely, though. A 16 Hour job, 14 to go. It's a
    long time since I've tried anything vaguely resembling this. XP x64 took
    about 12 min. incl. burning the disk!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 29, 2009
  7. Make SURE you run a CRC on the result. The single biggest source of failures
    I've seen have been corrupted downloads.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2009
  8. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    My personal experience is that this "method" is quite safe. I have been
    using it for obtaining the Spanish MUIs in advance as I am not subscribed to
    MSDN or Technet.
    Go for it, MUIs don't have viruses (at least to my knowledge).
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 29, 2009
  9. The thing that makes me curious is the English language pack. To the
    best of my knowledge I have never heard of such an animal. Since
    Windows native language is English why would you need a language pack?

    Bobby Johnson, May 29, 2009
  10. Good thinking.

    Yes, I was halfway regretting I couldn't use Linux 'cause that is on my
    laptop, but with this speed it wouldn't matter - a CRC check, I didn't use
    windows for that in a long time, is that a feature of the download manager
    perchance? Or, do you have a smart idea for that job?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 29, 2009
  11. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Would that be British English?
    In Spanish we have both Spanish-Spain and Spanish-LA (Latin America).
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 29, 2009
  12. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Hmmm... second thoughts.
    Windows is language agnostic, i.e., it has no native language.
    If you download the English version (via MSDN or whatever source you prefer)
    you get the Language Agnostic Windows with English MUI embedded.
    If you download the Spanish version you get the Language Agnostic Windows
    with Spanish MUI embedded.
    But what happens if I want to run my Spanish Windows also in English?
    There's no way I can switch to English because its MUI is simply not there,
    so I have to download the English package to achieve that.
    End of the language lesson.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 29, 2009
  13. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    CRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check) is an "attribute"
    of the file and is calculated based on its contents.
    You need to calculate (via a software) the CRC of the downloaded file and
    compare it to the reference CRC (the one supplied by MSFT for that file) to
    see if they match.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 29, 2009
  14. and there are lots of CRC file checkers out there. Grab any one. I think I'm
    still using one that MS used to include in beta downloads way back when.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2009
  15. Thanks both. I'll call on Bloodhound then.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 29, 2009
  16. And, if you need it, I can easily send you one. It's just a little command
    line utility that runs from CMD, but it gets the job done.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2009
  17. Oh - how appropriate! It would be comforting and much appreciated to get to
    use something out of your toolbox! As long as command switches are somewhat
    explained.

    Googling, I came upon a utility which claimed it would correct and rescue
    any corrupted files - personally, I find it hard to believe anything could
    match any errors to any specific 'byte'. Not least by the fact that nothing
    is an error until it has been compared + an almost hundred percent security
    that no two files will have the same CRC value (which implies a certain
    randomness?).

    I don't know - what you say? Certainly would make sense not having to spend
    another good 16 hours hoping. (7.5 h to go).

    -----------------
    New mailbox : tsperlingATliveDOTcom

    Tony. . . [:]0)
    Tony Sperling, May 30, 2009
  18. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    To a certain extent, error correction is possible.
    That's because files contain additional bits for that task.
    I recall having studied something called the Hamming error correction at
    college back in the 70's!
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 30, 2009
  19. Wow! That certainly is up for a testrun if the file is condemned. ( Freeware
    too, as I remember)

    Many, many thanks, Carlos.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, May 30, 2009
  20. Correct? I wouldn't count on it. I'll put something in your mailbox though.
    You'll need to rename it, since I can't send exe files in email.

    Switches? We don't need no switches. crc.exe is the filename, and the
    command line is simply:

    crc <filename>

    wait patiently, and then compare the result to the published CRC value for
    the file or ISO. It's binary - it either matches, or you get to start again.
    :(

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2009