About to buy a maha charger: advice please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by spodosaurus, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
    from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:

    MH-C401FS
    MH-C204F220
    MH-204 GT

    What are the differences?
    Which would YOU choose?
    I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
    batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for other
    household and computer equipment.

    TIA,

    Ari

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

    spodosaurus, Jun 12, 2004

  2. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
    > from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
    >
    > MH-C401FS
    > MH-C204F220
    > MH-204 GT
    >
    > What are the differences?

    http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare.htm

    I'm leaning towards the 401. However, looking down the list it says the
    401 doesn't have "battery conditioner" and "discharge capability". What
    is a "battery conditioner" feature? How useful are these two features?

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

    spodosaurus, Jun 12, 2004

  3. spodosaurus

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
    > from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
    >
    > MH-C401FS
    > MH-C204F220
    > MH-204 GT
    >
    > What are the differences?
    > Which would YOU choose?

    I've had the C204F for several years and still use it. I recently
    upgraded to the C401 which is the best current model. That's what I
    recommend.

    The Thomas Distributing site describes the two in detail and the
    differences as I recall (that's who I purchased from).

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 12, 2004
  4. spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> writes:

    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world
    >> kit") from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers
    >> available:
    >> MH-C401FS
    >> MH-C204F220
    >> MH-204 GT
    >> What are the differences?

    > http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare.htm
    >
    > I'm leaning towards the 401. However, looking down the list it says
    > the 401 doesn't have "battery conditioner" and "discharge
    > capability". What is a "battery conditioner" feature? How useful are
    > these two features?

    Probably not important with modern NiMH batteries. And less likely to
    be important with the 401, which has a better charging circuit. I
    upgraded my 204 to a 401 a while ago, and am very happy.

    In addition to better charging circuitry and 4 individual channels
    instead of two two-battery channels, it also has a fast-charge mode
    for those times when you really need to hurry.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 12, 2004
  5. spodosaurus

    Ron Hunter Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
    > from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
    >
    > MH-C401FS
    > MH-C204F220
    > MH-204 GT
    >
    > What are the differences?
    > Which would YOU choose?
    > I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
    > batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for other
    > household and computer equipment.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Ari

    I am not sure what models have what features, but ideally, chose one
    that charges each battery seperately, rather than in pairs. All the
    Maha chargers are 'smart' chargers, but being able to monitor each
    battery is a definite benefit.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 12, 2004
  6. spodosaurus

    PC Medic Guest

    "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
    > > from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers

    available:

    > > MH-C401FS
    > > MH-C204F220
    > > MH-204 GT
    > >
    > > What are the differences?

    > http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare.htm
    >
    > I'm leaning towards the 401. However, looking down the list it says the
    > 401 doesn't have "battery conditioner" and "discharge capability". What
    > is a "battery conditioner" feature? How useful are these two features?
    >
    > > Which would YOU choose?
    > > I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
    > > batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for other
    > > household and computer equipment.
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Ari

    I have been using the 204F for a couple years and it is great.
    It is with some batteries a good idea to 'fully' discharge them prior to
    charging. The battery conditioner' feature allows you to do this by pressing
    a small button on the charge. It then goes into a discharge mode fully
    draining the batteries and then automatically switches over to charge mode.
    I would not have a charger without this feature.

    PC Medic, Jun 12, 2004
  7. spodosaurus

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm about to order a Maha charger (with batteries and the "world kit")
    >> from www.thomasdistributing.com. They have three Maha chargers available:
    >>
    >> MH-C401FS
    >> MH-C204F220
    >> MH-204 GT
    >>
    >> What are the differences?
    >> Which would YOU choose?
    >> I'll be using the charger to recharge 1700, 1850, and 2200 NiMH AA
    >> batteries for use with a digital camera predominantly but also for
    >> other household and computer equipment.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Ari
    >>

    > I am not sure what models have what features, but ideally, chose one
    > that charges each battery seperately, rather than in pairs. All the
    > Maha chargers are 'smart' chargers, but being able to monitor each
    > battery is a definite benefit.

    The 401 does them singly; the 204 in pairs.

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 12, 2004