    Is the lens used in taking the picture (with a Canon 20D) identified
    in the EXIF? If so, how can I view it. PS CS doesn't include this
    info in the browser.

    Jack, Jan 11, 2005

  2. IrfanView viewer Image/Info (or just press "I"). At the bottom of the
    dialog, select the Exif Info button.

    Cliff W Estes, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Jack

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Jack wrote:

    > Is the lens used in taking the picture (with a Canon 20D) identified
    > in the EXIF? If so, how can I view it. PS CS doesn't include this
    > info in the browser.

    The lens isn't directly identified, but if it's a zoom lens, the maximum and
    minimum focal lengths of the lens are displayed in the EXIF data.

    As below:

    MaxFocalLength: 400 mm
    MinFocalLength: 100 mm

    Canon's file viewer utility (FVU) will display this.

    Jim Townsend, Jan 12, 2005
  4. "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Is the lens used in taking the picture (with a Canon 20D) identified
    > in the EXIF? If so, how can I view it. PS CS doesn't include this
    > info in the browser.

    In addition to focal length, aperture etc...
    With my 10D you sometimes get some very odd distances at which the lens is
    focused. If this same data is used in ETTL II flash calculation, I'd be
    surprised if the exposure is anywhere near "correct".
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Jan 12, 2005
  5. Jack

    C Wright Guest

    On 1/11/05 5:35 PM, in article ,
    "Jack" <> wrote:

    > Is the lens used in taking the picture (with a Canon 20D) identified
    > in the EXIF? If so, how can I view it. PS CS doesn't include this
    > info in the browser.

    The file Browser in my copy of PS CS has an entry in the EXIF for the 20D
    for both focal length and lens. The lens entry may not be quite as specific
    as you are looking for but, for example, if I am using my 24-70mm it says:
    24-70. It does not say 24-70 f2.8L USM - if you are looking for something
    that specific.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:04:27 GMT, C Wright
    <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

    >The file Browser in my copy of PS CS has an entry in the EXIF for the 20D
    >for both focal length and lens. The lens entry may not be quite as specific
    >as you are looking for but, for example, if I am using my 24-70mm it says:
    >24-70. It does not say 24-70 f2.8L USM - if you are looking for something
    >that specific.
    >Chuck

    I just checked my PS CS browser again to see if there's any reference
    to the lens as you indicated. I couldn't find any at all. Do you
    have to turn on some function in PS or the 20D?

    Jack, Jan 12, 2005
  7. Jack

    C Wright Guest

    On 1/11/05 11:20 PM, in article ,
    "Jack" <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:04:27 GMT, C Wright
    > <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
    >

    >> The file Browser in my copy of PS CS has an entry in the EXIF for the 20D
    >> for both focal length and lens. The lens entry may not be quite as specific
    >> as you are looking for but, for example, if I am using my 24-70mm it says:
    >> 24-70. It does not say 24-70 f2.8L USM - if you are looking for something
    >> that specific.
    >> Chuck

    > I just checked my PS CS browser again to see if there's any reference
    > to the lens as you indicated. I couldn't find any at all. Do you
    > have to turn on some function in PS or the 20D?

    Yes - in the data display in the lower left corner of the File Browser make
    sure that the Metadata tab is clicked; then click the small arrow to the
    right of that and you will be able to choose data display options. In mine
    the 'lens' entry was checked by default, perhaps that was not the default in
    yours.

    C Wright, Jan 12, 2005
  8. Jack

    Jack Guest

    >Yes - in the data display in the lower left corner of the File Browser make
    >sure that the Metadata tab is clicked; then click the small arrow to the
    >right of that and you will be able to choose data display options. In mine
    >the 'lens' entry was checked by default, perhaps that was not the default in
    >yours.

    Found it! I unchecked the "hide empty fields" and the lens field is
    visible now, but empty! Perhaps the 20D doesn't record this info?

    Jack, Jan 12, 2005
  9. Jack

    paul Guest

    Jack wrote:

    > Found it! I unchecked the "hide empty fields" and the lens field is
    > visible now, but empty! Perhaps the 20D doesn't record this info?

    Is it an older manual lens?

    paul, Jan 12, 2005
  10. Jack

    paul Guest

    A bit off topic from the OP...

    Does anyone know a utility that will easily create text files for the
    exif info simply by right-clicking selected files in explorer?

    BreezeBrowser does a nice job of this but it's still pretty tedious
    firing up the program, browing to that folder, mucking through menus
    etc. Other programs like Exifer are similarly complex at creating comma
    delimited files. It'd be nice to have an editable config file to choose
    the fields you want & maybe add formatting like html.

    JHead is a command line utility that could be used to write a script
    maybe to handle multiple files. I don't know what it'd take to run that
    from a right-click menu but it'd be a very simple fast thing. I could do
    that with PHP but it'd be a pain going to that screen. I tried jhead
    with a batch file but a script is needed to handle multiple files.

    myimage01.jpg > myimage01.txt
    myimage02.jpg > myimage02.txt
    myimage03.jpg > myimage03.txt

    paul, Jan 12, 2005
  11. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:17:42 -0800, paul <> wrote:

    >Jack wrote:
    >>
    >> Found it! I unchecked the "hide empty fields" and the lens field is
    >> visible now, but empty! Perhaps the 20D doesn't record this info?

    >Is it an older manual lens?

    No, they were the 17-85 IS USM & 70-200 L IS USM lens

    Jack, Jan 12, 2005
  12. Jack

    C Wright Guest

    On 1/12/05 1:38 PM, in article ,
    "Jack" <> wrote:

    >> Yes - in the data display in the lower left corner of the File Browser make
    >> sure that the Metadata tab is clicked; then click the small arrow to the
    >> right of that and you will be able to choose data display options. In mine
    >> the 'lens' entry was checked by default, perhaps that was not the default in
    >> yours.

    > Found it! I unchecked the "hide empty fields" and the lens field is
    > visible now, but empty! Perhaps the 20D doesn't record this info?

    It works for all of the lenses that I have for the 20D! I guess that it
    could be possible that it does not work for some lenses. What mode do use
    with your camera, the Automatic modes in the Basic Zone? I always use the
    Creative modes. While this is a long shot suggestion because I have not
    tested it, it may be possible that the Basic Zone modes do not record as
    much information.

    C Wright, Jan 13, 2005
  13. Jack

    Jack Guest

    >It works for all of the lenses that I have for the 20D! I guess that it
    >could be possible that it does not work for some lenses. What mode do use
    >with your camera, the Automatic modes in the Basic Zone? I always use the
    >Creative modes. While this is a long shot suggestion because I have not
    >tested it, it may be possible that the Basic Zone modes do not record as
    >much information.

    I shot in the aperture priority mmode.

    Jack, Jan 13, 2005