  1. Windbag1000

    Windbag1000 Guest

    Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?
    Windbag1000, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Windbag1000

    DyloniusFunk Guest

    "Windbag1000" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?

    My personal Theory is this* and this is just my theory* is that they have
    made so many different encyclopedia, and informational cd rom programs for
    the computer, for each of the series, and several of them contain the
    promos. So technically they are available for interested parties. As far as
    why they aren't on the disc, who knows. Though in all fairness, you can't
    really put paramount in the spotlight for this. Lots of other studios don't
    include promos for TV product. I know ADV has with andromeda, and some
    farscape. Warner has with Babylon 5. Fox, which I consider the leader in TV
    product, hasn't done any. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have three
    season of the Simpson's, then first two sets of M*A*S*H, and The Shield,
    none of which have any kind of promos. I guess it just depends on the show.
    I think the I Love Lucy sets have some, as do the recently released Dick Van
    Dyke Show sets. So they may only be an item of consideration as an archival
    look back for older shows. Don't know. Just my thought.
    DyloniusFunk, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Windbag1000

    GMAN Guest

    In article <QFtub.122422$>, "DyloniusFunk" <> wrote:

    >"Windbag1000" <> wrote in message
    >> Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?

    >My personal Theory is this* and this is just my theory* is that they have
    >made so many different encyclopedia, and informational cd rom programs for
    >the computer, for each of the series, and several of them contain the
    >promos. So technically they are available for interested parties. As far as
    >why they aren't on the disc, who knows. Though in all fairness, you can't
    >really put paramount in the spotlight for this. Lots of other studios don't
    >include promos for TV product. I know ADV has with andromeda, and some
    >farscape. Warner has with Babylon 5. Fox, which I consider the leader in TV
    >product, hasn't done any. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have three
    >season of the Simpson's, then first two sets of M*A*S*H, and The Shield,
    >none of which have any kind of promos. I guess it just depends on the show.
    >I think the I Love Lucy sets have some, as do the recently released Dick Van
    >Dyke Show sets. So they may only be an item of consideration as an archival
    >look back for older shows. Don't know. Just my thought.

    Could be the studios dont hang on to those promos. Its not as if they will use
    them again after the show is aired.
    GMAN, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Windbag1000

    Cernovog Guest

    In article <>,
    (Windbag1000) wrote:

    > Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?

    Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?

    They were releasing single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
    pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 175
    episodes of TNG. It'd cost about $3,500 to collect the entire series on
    VHS. What a joke!

    After the crappy way they released TOS, I thought for sure they were
    gonna release TNG 1 to 2 episodes per disk at $30 each.

    I was just so THRILLED that were releasing them in big season box sets
    for (relatively) reasonable prices. (Reasonable for Paramount, you can
    get good deals if you shop around.)

    I'll live with the lack of extras.

    My disappointments (small compared to the alternative -- NOTHING):

    No promos like you said
    ABSOLUTELY no commentary. ZERO Commentary. You could tell in the
    interviews there were episodes EVERYONE wanted to talk about -- LeVar
    Burton's directorial debut, Brent Spiner on "Brothers", Gates McFadden
    on ... what was her episode called? Genesis? Metamorphosis? I can't
    remember...

    It should have been no problem to get people together to do selective
    commentary on their favorite episodes.

    But, like I said, I expected to NEVER get to own these shows on DVD and
    now I have them all. They replace my misatched tape collection with a
    much better product. So, I'm grateful for what I have, even if I might
    sound a little grumpy. ^_^
    Cernovog, Nov 19, 2003
  5. It could also be a rights issue. Fior instance does Hanna Barbera (Warner
    Brothers?) own the rights to The Flintstones promos with The Flintstones
    smoking and advertisng Winston Cigarettes, or does Winston cigarettes own the
    rights to those Flintstones promos?

    Technically, the commercials were part of the shows a lot back then.

    The Jack Benny Show had commercials as part of the show itself, and The Burns &
    Allen Show made a joke in the actual show itself about a commercial seen during
    the show, but you don't get the joke at all if you don't see the commercial.
    Therefore, I would say that the commercial was an integral part of that show,.
    Waterpetrson7, Nov 19, 2003
  6. >Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?

    that's one of the best questions or best statements so ffar.>hey were releasing
    single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
    >pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 1

    okay. That part I don't understand. I have some of the original VHS episodes of
    "Star Trek" by Paramount on dvd. And the 2-part episode "The Menagerie" is all
    on the same one tape.

    And it is in full, with all of the opening and closing credits of both episodes
    in the appropriate places.

    And I believe that there's also 2 promos on that particular tape.
    Waterpetrson7, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Waterpetrson7 wrote:

    > >Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?
    > >

    > that's one of the best questions or best statements so ffar.>hey were releasing
    > single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
    > >pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 1

    > okay. That part I don't understand. I have some of the original VHS episodes of
    > "Star Trek" by Paramount on dvd. And the 2-part episode "The Menagerie" is all
    > on the same one tape.

    I think the poster was talking about releases of the later ST series.

    Mike
    Michael Rogers, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Windbag1000

    jayembee Guest

    (Waterpetrson7) wrote:

    >It could also be a rights issue. Fior instance does Hanna Barbera (Warner
    >Brothers?) own the rights to The Flintstones promos with The Flintstones
    >smoking and advertisng Winston Cigarettes, or does Winston cigarettes own the
    >rights to those Flintstones promos?

    Good question. The producers would own the trademarks on the
    characters, but whether they actually owned the commercials, I doubt
    it. Or it would be a joint ownership.

    >Technically, the commercials were part of the shows a lot back then.
    >
    >The Jack Benny Show had commercials as part of the show itself, and The Burns &
    >Allen Show made a joke in the actual show itself about a commercial seen during
    >the show, but you don't get the joke at all if you don't see the commercial.
    >Therefore, I would say that the commercial was an integral part of that show,.

    The DVD sets of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW include, as extras, promo spots
    done by the cast for the sponsors Cheer (laundry detergent), Joy
    (dishwashing liquid), and Kent (cigarettes). The Kent spots were
    included as unadvertised Easter Eggs, and I wonder if it was because
    the DVD producers didn't want it to appear as if they were condoning
    the practice of smoking.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Windbag1000

    SRT Guest

    "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > (Windbag1000) wrote:
    >
    >. . . Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?
    >
    > They were releasing single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
    > pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 175
    > episodes of TNG. It'd cost about $3,500 to collect the entire series on
    > VHS. What a joke!
    >
    > After the crappy way they released TOS, I thought for sure they were
    > gonna release TNG 1 to 2 episodes per disk at $30 each.
    > . . .

    .. . . you mean like the Farscape and Andromeda DVDs - talking about a major
    ripoff!

    srt

    p.s. when are they going to start releasing the Voyager and Enterprise
    series on DVD?
    SRT, Nov 22, 2003
  10. Windbag1000

    Joshua Zyber Guest