    raw files?
    Thank you for your comments.
    Fernando

    Septima, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Septima

    Eric Witte Guest

    "Septima" <> wrote in message news:<uFWBb.200846$>...
    > Does anyone if combustion 3 has the posibility of work with the Canon 300D´s
    > raw files?
    > Thank you for your comments.
    > Fernando

    I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
    and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
    lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Septima

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Witte <> wrote:
    >"Septima" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone if combustion 3 has the posibility of work with the Canon 300D´s
    >> raw files?
    >> Thank you for your comments.
    >> Fernando

    >I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
    >and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
    >lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

    How odd, because 16 bit export in File Viewer Utility doesn't actually work
    (unless they've fixed it with the 300D version, I hear that this is not the
    case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
    the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
    my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
    levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
    of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
    end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

    Chris Brown, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Septima

    Eric Witte Guest

    > >I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
    > >and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
    > >lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

    > How odd, because 16 bit export in File Viewer Utility doesn't actually work
    > (unless they've fixed it with the 300D version, I hear that this is not the
    > case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
    > the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
    > my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
    > levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
    > of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
    > end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

    Opening up in CS the color is really light and does not look as good.
    I can get it close about 10% of the time if I play around with the
    settings. I would like to print them both out at 36-bit but it gets
    costly doing so just for testing. The lightjet printouts are not
    cheap. I did find one cheaper ($9-$10 for the first, $6-7 each
    additional) but they had a $300 order minimum. I'll just play with
    Photoshop more and see what happens.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Septima

    Chris Cox Guest

    In article <>, Eric
    Witte <> wrote:

    > > >I've never used the software. If not you can use the Canon Fileviewer
    > > >and save it as a 16-bit tiff. The pictures created that way look a
    > > >lot better to me than opening directly in Photoshop CS.

    > > How odd, because 16 bit export in File Viewer Utility doesn't actually work
    > > (unless they've fixed it with the 300D version, I hear that this is not the
    > > case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
    > > the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
    > > my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
    > > levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
    > > of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
    > > end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

    > Opening up in CS the color is really light and does not look as good.

    That is probably because, by default, Photoshop's ACR plugin doesn't
    exaggerate the contrast and saturation like Canon does.

    Once you find settings you like - set them as the default for your
    camera.

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Septima

    Eric Witte Guest

    > > > case, however) - you can see this more clearly if you use linear mode, but
    > > > the non-linear ones suffer from it too - when I compare the shadow detail in
    > > > my 10D images from FVU to the Photoshop CS converted ones, after doing a
    > > > levels adjustment to bring it up, it's pretty clear that the bottom 8 bits
    > > > of the FVU produced TIFF don't actually contain any useful information - the
    > > > end result looks just like doing the same thing on an 8 bit image.

    > > Opening up in CS the color is really light and does not look as good.

    > That is probably because, by default, Photoshop's ACR plugin doesn't
    > exaggerate the contrast and saturation like Canon does.
    >
    > Once you find settings you like - set them as the default for your
    > camera.
    >
    > Chris

    Maybe not by much. The color on JPGs (or raw in CFV) are closer to
    what I get from RAW in photoshop CS. I bring the object into the room
    and compare. Interesting I downloaded Breezebrowser and it too looks
    better than the Photoshop image. Actually I can see more detail in
    the Breezebrowser image so there could be something wrong with CFV.
    I'm downloading the newest CFV utility. They never mention problems
    in 16-bit. They do state "Reproduction of the tone curve when
    converting RAW images to a 16bit TIFF file is improved" on the newest
    version.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Septima

    Lee Guest

    Hello Fernando
    I have just been reading about capture one software and they have version
    for the rebel, I can't tell you anymore as I'm a new at this stuff and have
    been strictly a film user until recently.
    Lee.

    Lee, Dec 21, 2003