    there is no apparent damage done to them, then what?

    Thanks!
    David

    dh@., Oct 23, 2007

  2. dh@.

    Paul Heslop Guest

    dh@. wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I like to put videos I record with my camcorder on DVD.
    > That part is no problem. I use Sony DVD-R. Even though
    > I'm careful with them, they still manage to get scratched
    > up some, and then they freeze up and/or jump around
    > to different sections of the disc. I never have that problem
    > with commercially copied discs. Sometimes even when
    > there is no noticeable scratching or damage to the disc
    > it will still freeze up and act like there's some horrible
    > damage done to it. Does anyone have any advice about
    > this? If they do get scratched, is there a way to buff the
    > scratches out and get them working right again? When
    > there is no apparent damage done to them, then what?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > David

    could be the quality of the discs you're using, quality is better than
    quantity. of course if you're using the best you can ignore that :O)

    If you have a scratched disc there are a few ways to remove the
    scratches but I have used brasso on a very soft cloth, rub it on the
    scratched area for a little while and voila!. I have heard of a method
    involving hot water but I don't know exactly how to do that.

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Consumer burned DVDs and CDs are not very harty. Commerically pressed discs
    not only have the data stamped in to the recording layer, but also have a
    second layer of polycarbonate over it. Consumer burned discs record the data
    using a dye layer which is highly affected by light and air. The second
    layer of polycarbonate is also replaced by a layer of laquer which isn't as
    durable.

    In the end unless you handle consumer burned discs with kit gloves they
    aren't going to last anywhere close to how long a commerically pressed disc
    will. Even if you don't ever touch the consumer burned disc it will fail
    pretty quickly because of the light and air oxydizing the dye layer.

    CDs and DVDs (consumer burned ones) are very temporaroy storage. They will
    not last anywhere close to the 50 to 100 years or more manufactureres
    claimed early on in the adoption of the technology. Even commerically
    pressed ones won't make it that long.

    The Spider

    The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muf, Oct 23, 2007
  4. On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:35:57 -0400, dh@. wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I like to put videos I record with my camcorder on DVD.
    >That part is no problem. I use Sony DVD-R. Even though
    >I'm careful with them, they still manage to get scratched
    >up some, and then they freeze up and/or jump around
    >to different sections of the disc.

    While I was skeptical, I picked up one of those electric disc cleaners
    after trying everything to read some data off one of my classic CD's I
    was trying to convert to MP3. I must have played the disc hundreds of
    times over the years, so it was pretty beat up. While I used Roxio to
    try to grab the tracks it always hunk up and failed about 3/4 of the
    way through after multiple tries.

    So I was in Fry's just bumbing around and saw a Memorex Optifix Pro.
    It looks like a portable DVD player. It comes with a set of
    cleaning/polishing pads and some solution for each. You first put the
    cleaner pads in, it spins the disc for a couple minutes then repeat
    the process to polish.

    Did it work? Yep, so was worth the $20 to me. I've seen several brands
    of the electric disc cleaners, manual ones too in larger computer and
    electronics stores. I later tried to fix another disc that wasn't
    nearly as bad and that one it wouldn't help. So a crap shoot at best.
    Sometimes it works, other times not.

    For less severe damage you can CAREFULLY do it manually. Do NOT go in
    circles that can ruin the disc beyond repair. Just a few GENTLE wipes
    from the center rim out straight to edge, repeat going around the disc
    work a small area at a time. They sell various cleaning solutions by
    the bottle and cloths as well.

    Adam Albright, Oct 24, 2007