??? about problems playing DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by dh_ld@nomail.com, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    or 8mm.

    The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
    but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
    won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
    showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
    to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
    anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
    and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
    learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
    it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
    or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
    any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
    all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
    the discs must be okay or they would always screw
    up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
    will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
    screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
    okay again...

    The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
    has something to do with static electricity, but I never
    have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
    so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
    the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
    containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
    the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
    anything.

    Thanks for any help!
    David
    , Dec 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Biz Guest

    Dollars to donuts its probably crappy media, or improper burning speeds for
    the media being used.


    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > or 8mm.
    >
    > The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
    > but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
    > won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
    > showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
    > to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
    > anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
    > and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
    > learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
    > it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
    > or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
    > any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
    > all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
    > the discs must be okay or they would always screw
    > up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
    > will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
    > screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
    > okay again...
    >
    > The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
    > has something to do with static electricity, but I never
    > have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
    > so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
    > the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
    > containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
    > the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
    > anything.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David
    Biz, Dec 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Kyote Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:20:17 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    >put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    >thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    >the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    >keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    >trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    >or 8mm.
    >
    >The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
    >but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
    >won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
    >showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
    >to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
    >anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
    >and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
    >learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
    >it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
    >or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
    >any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
    >all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
    >the discs must be okay or they would always screw
    >up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
    >will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
    >screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
    >okay again...
    >
    >The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
    >has something to do with static electricity, but I never
    >have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
    >so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
    >the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
    >containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
    >the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
    >anything.
    >
    >Thanks for any help!
    >David


    I hope someone here has a better solution to your problem than I do.
    But what I would do is take one of your burned dvd's that seems to
    give you consistent trouble and goto best buy or circuit city and see
    if a manager or just an employee will let you try it one of their
    display models that they have hooked up to a screen. Make sure it's a
    high dollar dvd player. If you can play it fine pop it out and back in
    and try again. If it's still fine then you may either want to think
    about getting a better player for your home or a better burner.

    I'm new to burning dvd's as I just got mine not even a week ago. But
    my Aunt and Uncle have been making backups of their dvd's for quite a
    while and when I would borrow one to watch on my parents player it
    does exactly like your describing. I recently borrowed one of theirs
    that seems to ALWAYS give me trouble, to try using my better burner.
    Well, my burner had serious trouble even noticing a dvd was in. After
    my 3rd attempt it found it, right when I was ready to give up... Then
    I tried to use 'DVD Shrink 3.2' to extract the movie hoping to be able
    to fix it. 'DVD Shrink 3.2' would start to work then peter out and I'd
    get a crc error. I quit trying after about 15 retries. Then I thought
    why not try another program like 'DVD Decrypter' so I did. It allows
    for re-reading a section that it has trouble reading. And boy did it
    have trouble reading it. But to cut this story shorter than it could
    be, my copy runs flawlessly. So I trashed their copy and replaced it
    with mine and told them about it.


    Like I said, I hope someone here has better advice but at the least
    you could try running it on a family or friends player. Just make sure
    it's a really good player. Good luck and could you please reply to
    this if you find the solution? My Uncle would be happy if he didn't
    have to go out and buy another new dvd burner.





    -------------
    Scott D.
    Kyote, Dec 13, 2004
    #3
  4. George Guest

    Make sure that:

    1. You don't have labels on your DVDs. I had the exact same problem until I
    started using felt-tipped pen instead of labels They don't look nearly as
    neat but they play flawlessly.
    2. You are not using DVD RW disks. I find the read/write disks very
    unreliable. I use them only for testing if I am not sure if a burn will
    work.

    George

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > or 8mm.
    >
    > The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
    > but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
    > won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
    > showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
    > to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
    > anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
    > and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
    > learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
    > it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
    > or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
    > any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
    > all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
    > the discs must be okay or they would always screw
    > up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
    > will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
    > screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
    > okay again...
    >
    > The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
    > has something to do with static electricity, but I never
    > have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
    > so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
    > the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
    > containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
    > the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
    > anything.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David
    George, Dec 13, 2004
    #4
  5. Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:29:34 -0600, Kyote <> wrote:

    [...]
    >Like I said, I hope someone here has better advice but at the least
    >you could try running it on a family or friends player. Just make sure
    >it's a really good player. Good luck and could you please reply to
    >this if you find the solution? My Uncle would be happy if he didn't
    >have to go out and buy another new dvd burner.


    Sometimes they play fine in my player, so how could it be a
    problem with the recording? Maybe it could be, but so far I
    believe we're talking about different problems.
    DVD recorders seem to be getting a lot cheaper. I'd suggest
    that your Uncle check them out when he's in WalMart some
    time, just for his own info.
    , Dec 15, 2004
    #5
  6. Jay Santos Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > or 8mm.


    Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    *condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.
    Jay Santos, Dec 17, 2004
    #6
  7. Ray Guest

    "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    news:YIDwd.2296$...
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    >> put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    >> thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    >> the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    >> keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more trouble from the DVDs than
    >> I ever had with VHS
    >> or 8mm.

    >
    > Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the *condition* for any entity to
    > realize a benefit.


    We all shared the benefit of you absence from the group ~~Jonnie~~, you
    should do it more often. David dislikes DVDs, Rick is always nattering about
    CDs, if were left to you lot we would all be listening to 78s with a big
    horn:)

    Yes, I know - "**** Off" Dump.
    Ray, Dec 17, 2004
    #7
  8. Kyote Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:04:05 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:29:34 -0600, Kyote <> wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >>Like I said, I hope someone here has better advice but at the least
    >>you could try running it on a family or friends player. Just make sure
    >>it's a really good player.

    >
    > Sometimes they play fine in my player, so how could it be a
    >problem with the recording?


    I didn't say it was the recording. The reason I said to try it in
    another player is because it could be your player.



    -------------
    Scott D.
    Kyote, Dec 17, 2004
    #8
  9. "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    news:YIDwd.2296$...
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > > put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > > thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > > the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > > keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > > trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > > or 8mm.

    >
    > Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    > *condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.
    Sal M. Onella, Dec 17, 2004
    #9
  10. "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    news:YIDwd.2296$...
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > > put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > > thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > > the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > > keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > > trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > > or 8mm.

    >
    > Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    > *condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.


    FYI, "Jay Santos" is a vocal characterization of radio performer
    Phil Hendrie, a Howard Stern wannabe from a dusty suburb of
    Los Angeles.
    Sal M. Onella, Dec 17, 2004
    #10
  11. Sal M. Onella wrote:
    > "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    > news:YIDwd.2296$...
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    >>>put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    >>>thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    >>>the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    >>>keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    >>>trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    >>>or 8mm.

    >>
    >>Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    >>*condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.

    >
    > FYI, "Jay Santos" is a vocal characterization of radio performer
    > Phil Hendrie, a Howard Stern wannabe


    Phil Hendrie is NOT a Howard Stern wannabe. Their shows couldn't be more
    different. But wtf do *you* know -- you're the dolt who forgot to type
    something before hitting send the first time you tried to reply.
    usual suspect, Dec 17, 2004
    #11

  12. >
    > Phil Hendrie is NOT a Howard Stern wannabe. Their shows couldn't be more
    > different. But wtf do *you* know -- you're the dolt who forgot to type
    > something before hitting send the first time you tried to reply.


    I was talking about ambition, not the program content. (I think everyone
    else knew.)
    Sal M. Onella, Dec 18, 2004
    #12
  13. Jay Santos Guest

    Sal M. Onella wrote:
    > "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    > news:YIDwd.2296$...
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    >>>put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    >>>thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    >>>the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    >>>keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    >>>trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    >>>or 8mm.

    >>
    >>Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    >>*condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.

    >
    >
    > FYI, "Jay Santos" is a vocal characterization of radio performer
    > Phil Hendrie, a Howard Stern wannabe from a dusty suburb of
    > Los Angeles.


    You are an idiot. Hendrie is no more a Howard Stern
    wannabe than is Dick Cheney. Hendrie isn't the least
    bit like Howard Stern, and he would have more talent
    with pitching wedge lodged in his brain than Stern has
    on his very best days. Stern's audience tells you all
    you need to know about him.
    Jay Santos, Dec 18, 2004
    #13
  14. Jay Santos Guest

    Sal M. Onella wrote:

    >>Phil Hendrie is NOT a Howard Stern wannabe. Their shows couldn't be more
    >>different. But wtf do *you* know -- you're the dolt who forgot to type
    >>something before hitting send the first time you tried to reply.

    >
    >
    > I was talking about ambition, not the program content.


    No, you weren't. What a pathetically weak fucking
    dodge *that* was!
    Jay Santos, Dec 18, 2004
    #14
  15. In article <>,
    writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > or 8mm.


    I've found that different brands of DVD-Rs work well and others not
    so well. With my Sony DVD player, Sony and TDK worked well, Memorex
    about 75% were OK, but Imation would not play at all but were OK on
    other brands of players I tried them on.
    David E. Bath, Dec 18, 2004
    #15
  16. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:22:16 GMT, Jay Santos <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    >> put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    >> thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    >> the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    >> keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    >> trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    >> or 8mm.

    >
    >Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    >*condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.


    It's the benefit which makes all others possible.
    , Dec 18, 2004
    #16
  17. Jay Santos Guest

    wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:22:16 GMT, Jay Santos <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    >>>put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    >>>thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    >>>the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    >>>keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    >>>trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    >>>or 8mm.

    >>
    >>Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    >>*condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.

    >
    >
    > It's not a benefit at all.
    Jay Santos, Dec 18, 2004
    #17
  18. "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    news:Y2Qwd.3260$...
    > Sal M. Onella wrote:
    >
    > >>Phil Hendrie is NOT a Howard Stern wannabe. Their shows couldn't be more
    > >>different. But wtf do *you* know -- you're the dolt who forgot to type
    > >>something before hitting send the first time you tried to reply.

    > >
    > >
    > > I was talking about ambition, not the program content.

    >
    > No, you weren't. What a pathetically weak fucking
    > dodge *that* was!


    Sorry, you're wrong. I'm not qualified to comment on Stern's program, as I
    have never heard it. (I have seen fleeting glimpses of him on a cable
    channel (E! perhaps) and I am pretty sure he never does character voices.)
    I do know he has been syndicated for many years, as he makes the news with
    some regularity. Phil Hendrie, on the other hand, was a one-station show
    until about three years ago. I heard him local on WIOD in Miami when I was
    there, and I heard him local on KFI in LA when I was there.

    I listened to Hendrie regularly until he said something that was personally
    objectionable to me. ... and no, it was not a character voice talking. He
    was in a program segment where he was speaking as himself. He used an
    offensive slur to describe a group of which I am a member. Poof! Phil
    Hendrie all gone off my radio, no matter what city or mode -- AM, FM, XM,
    SSB, CW, PCM, SCPC, IP, X.27, smoke signals.
    Sal M. Onella, Dec 20, 2004
    #18
  19. "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    news:j2Qwd.3259$...
    > Sal M. Onella wrote:
    > > "Jay Santos" <> wrote in message
    > > news:YIDwd.2296$...
    > >
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>>Hi,
    > >>>
    > >>>A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > >>>put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > >>>thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > >>>the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > >>>keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > >>>trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > >>>or 8mm.
    > >>
    > >>Life is not a "benefit", Fuckwit. It is the
    > >>*condition* for any entity to realize a benefit.

    > >
    > >
    > > FYI, "Jay Santos" is a vocal characterization of radio performer
    > > Phil Hendrie, a Howard Stern wannabe from a dusty suburb of
    > > Los Angeles.

    >
    > You are an idiot. Hendrie is no more a Howard Stern
    > wannabe than is Dick Cheney. Hendrie isn't the least
    > bit like Howard Stern, and he would have more talent
    > with pitching wedge lodged in his brain than Stern has
    > on his very best days. Stern's audience tells you all
    > you need to know about him.


    You must really like him a lot. You came after me twice for just
    my one posting. That's all right; I used to be a fan, too.
    Sal M. Onella, Dec 20, 2004
    #19
  20. James News Guest

    I have also found that DVD-Rs last just about a year.
    Soon yours will become unplayable in any device, including the device you
    used to record them.

    I've used several brands, and finally got tired of it and just bought a hard
    drive and ripped them all to it.

    I would like to hear anyone's comments on how to (if there is a way) solve
    this problem.

    I'm use a Panasonic DMR-E50. The only DVD-Rs they recommend are their own
    at about $10 each with shipping.

    ===

    > wrote:


    > Hi,
    >
    > A year or so ago I bought a DVD recorder so I could
    > put the things I record with my camcorder on DVD,
    > thinking that would be better than just keeping it on
    > the 8mm tapes, or putting it on VHS. I'm sure glad I
    > keep the 8mm copies, because I have a lot more
    > trouble from the DVDs than I ever had with VHS
    > or 8mm.
    >
    > The first time I watch one of the DVDs it works fine,
    > but later as I watch it again and again it all too often
    > won't play any more. It starts with a few little squares
    > showing up in the picture, and then the picture starts
    > to get jumpy, and then freezes up, until it won't do
    > anything any more. Sometimes if I just open the tray
    > and close it again the disc does fine. Other times I've
    > learned that if I run water over it and dry it off good
    > it will work okay for a while. There are no scratches
    > or marks of any kind on the discs, I've never dropped
    > any of them, and there appears to be no reason at
    > all for them to be acting like they do. The material on
    > the discs must be okay or they would always screw
    > up in the same spots, but they don't. Sometimes they
    > will play a section just fine...the next time it will be
    > screwed up and not play at all...and later it will play
    > okay again...
    >
    > The only thing I can think of that it may be is that it
    > has something to do with static electricity, but I never
    > have these problems with discs I rent from Blockbuster,
    > so what to think about it? Also, I never seem to have
    > the problem with discs that I do not keep in the storage
    > containers, which are drums that hold 100 discs like
    > the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4xkrb if that means
    > anything.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David


    --
    Do not reply to this email address. Email sent to this address is deleted
    automatically without being downloaded or read.
    James News, Jan 8, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. barry crowley

    trouble playing dvds

    barry crowley, Feb 15, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,073
    michael turner
    Feb 17, 2004
  2. Silent Bob.

    Playing DVDs in Media player 9

    Silent Bob., Sep 27, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    581
  3. Kompu Kid
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    7,631
    Guest
    Dec 31, 2004
  4. Kompu Kid

    How do I get rid of choppy sound while playing DVDs?

    Kompu Kid, Jan 3, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,022
    Kompu Kid
    Jan 5, 2005
  5. problems playing dvds, please help!

    , Jan 10, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    477
Loading...

Share This Page