    Thanks,
    Harun
    , May 15, 2004

  2. Microsoft offers a number of certification programs. Here is the relative
    ranking. a brief description, and the number of exams required:

    * MCP -- One desktop or server exam
    * MCDST -- Desktop Support, two exams
    * MCSA -- Systems Administrator, 4 exams (or five if you use the MCDST as an
    elective)
    * MCSE -- Systems Engineer, 6 exams

    I would strive to start with the two MCDST exams. These two will earn you a
    MCP and MCDST. As you gain more experience, you may be able to move on to
    the MCSA or MCSE. Also, you may want to consider the CompTIA exams: A+ and
    N+.

    Ron Carswell A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE
    "" <> wrote in
    message news:d62701c43a7a$9e291490$...

    Ron Carswell A+ N+ CTT+ MCSA MCSE CCNA MCDST, May 15, 2004

  3. Brian Guest

    "" <> wrote
    > Can any of you help me about MCDST exams? Is
    > What is the difference between MCSE & MCDST? Which is the
    > best for the system support?

    MCDST is a good start, but most companies would require an MCSE before you
    could even get a job at their helpdesk.
    Brian, May 18, 2004
  4. I've heard this one before

    I was a DST for eight years (Before the DST moniker existed). Spent five
    months on a Help Desk. Got moved to Networking. Earned my MCP and MCSE for
    NT later. Picked up an A+ N+ later. Got my MCSA and MCSE 2000. Earned a
    CCNA. Since I'm a trainer, I picked up my CTT+ Recertified on the CCNA. My
    publisher (I also write lab manuals and text books for a large book
    company) required that I take the MCDST as I wrote a text on the 70-272
    exam. So that was next.

    Now why did I go through all of this. I got all of these jobs because I had
    the WORK EXPERIENCE. The certs were just topping on the cake!

    I've never understood the "got to have an MCSE for Help Desk" mentality.
    The MCSE's that I know that work on Help Desks are for the most part
    MISERABLE!

    Ron Carswell A+ N+ CTT+ MCSA MCSE CCNA MCDST, May 18, 2004
  5. Neil Guest

    "Ron Carswell A+ N+ CTT+ MCSA MCSE CCNA MCDST" <>
    wrote in news:u$:

    > Now why did I go through all of this. I got all of these jobs because
    > I had the WORK EXPERIENCE. The certs were just topping on the cake!
    >
    > I've never understood the "got to have an MCSE for Help Desk"
    > mentality. The MCSE's that I know that work on Help Desks are for the
    > most part MISERABLE!

    I agree fully (I wont list the 20+ certs I hold/have held) up to a point.
    this is the chicken/egg thing all over. how do I get a job without
    experience and how do I get experience without a job. this isn't new
    though. I had the same problem 20+ years ago when I started work and
    there were not a pile of computer certifications at that point.

    the HR bots want to see a cert to allow someone in the front door now.
    MCSE is the most recognisable. should it be this way? Not in my opinion,
    but I don't work in HR.

    so what should joe average do? get the bottom rung jobs. break fix in the
    mom and pop computer shop or the local circuit city store or some such.
    maybe helpdesk if you're lucky. get some experience adn start working
    towards certifications. show prospective employers that you are getting
    experience and working towards certifications (and be able to prove it)
    and someone is bound to take notice.

    my 2ยข

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 18, 2004
  6. Ed Guest

    Well, I have to admit that I kinda circumvented the question. It isn't the answer for everyone, but for younger people just starting out, it is a good option

    I went into the military and got some excellent hands-on experience. When it came time for me to decide about re-enlistment, I was approached by a contractor who had seen first-hand what I could do, and they offered me a position doing what I had done in the military for a fair increase in salary

    I haven't ever had to try and get a job based on my certifications. I got my certs after I got the job. It does help me get ahead in the company, though. My employer appreciates the fact that I am staying on top of trends and taking the trouble to back up my knowledge with some paperwork. Because of this, I have always considered certification more of a means to progress, rather than a means to enter the field.
    Ed, May 19, 2004
  7. Neil Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?RWQ=?=" <> wrote in

    > considered certification more of a means to progress, rather than a
    > means to enter the field.

    I'll go with that....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 19, 2004
  8. MS Newbie Guest

    Certifications are great to have, it is another piece of
    paper to add to your file cabinet =) No certifications
    do not get you the job, but it can be a good way to prove
    your knowledge. I do not have a MCSE nor a MCDST, or any
    Microsoft Certification and been working in this feilkd
    for 6+ years. I get paid a lot of money without the
    certification because experience is a whole lot more
    important in IT than someone that can test take! But if
    you have the means and the want, get the Certifications --
    It can't hurt!

    Will

    wrote in

    MS Newbie, May 21, 2004