    Thanks for any help!
    David
    , Aug 16, 2004

  2. Weekend Guru Guest

    First of all...if you're transferring the tapes using composite video, then
    you're losing a "generation", because you're working in the analog domain.
    So...the DVD will not look as good as the original tape. If, on the other
    hand, you had digital out from your camcorder to a computer and could
    convert/edit in the digital domain and convert to and burn the DVD in the
    PC...your DVD should look as good as the original tape.

    Now...as regards scratches, these are generally on the surface of the
    plastic and can many times be removed with auto/jewelry polishing compound.
    There are even some commercially available scratch removers that simply spin
    the CD or DVD around to do the same thing you can do manually.

    Don't have an answer for what's wrong with that one DVD...who knows.

    Hope this helps...

    Weekend Guru, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Mark Spatny Guest

    "Weekend Guru" <HD >,"Weekend Guru" <HD >
    says...
    > First of all...if you're transferring the tapes using composite video, then
    > you're losing a "generation", because you're working in the analog domain.
    > So...the DVD will not look as good as the original tape. If, on the other
    > hand, you had digital out from your camcorder to a computer and could
    > convert/edit in the digital domain and convert to and burn the DVD in the
    > PC...your DVD should look as good as the original tape.

    Unless you compress them using MPEG2 to play in a DVD player, in which
    case you are using lossy compression and are still losing quality.
    Mark Spatny, Aug 17, 2004
  4. luminos Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > "Weekend Guru" <HD >,"Weekend Guru" <HD >
    > says...
    >> First of all...if you're transferring the tapes using composite video,
    >> then
    >> you're losing a "generation", because you're working in the analog
    >> domain.
    >> So...the DVD will not look as good as the original tape. If, on the
    >> other
    >> hand, you had digital out from your camcorder to a computer and could
    >> convert/edit in the digital domain and convert to and burn the DVD in the
    >> PC...your DVD should look as good as the original tape.

    > Unless you compress them using MPEG2 to play in a DVD player, in which
    > case you are using lossy compression and are still losing quality.

    For that matter, DV camcorder data is also compressed, just not as much as
    Mpeg2.
    luminos, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Brian Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a so called digital camcorder which uses 8MM
    >or Hi8 tapes. In an attempt to preserve what I record,
    >I bought a DVD recorder and put tapes that are
    >important to me on DVD. But sometimes the DVDs
    >end up being worse than the tapes. I am careful not
    >to scratch them, or get stuff on them, but there is
    >one example where one did get scratched somehow.
    >Now it gets hung up and won't play all the way through,
    >or gets hung up and then skips sections. And lately one
    >that I recently put on DVD has no visible scratches or
    >foreign material on it, but it acts the same way.
    >
    >Are there ways of overcoming that sort of thing? Can
    >they be cleaned, and scratches gotten out of them,
    >or something?
    >
    >Thanks for any help!
    >David

    Buy good quality disks.
    There are kits for removing scratches on disks. www.fellowes.com
    Increase the sampling rate of the recording.
    If you choose the 1 hour recording option you'll be recording at the
    best quality. If recording from 8mm tapes then the 2 hour recording
    option (standard play) should be OK.
    It's a good idea to put chapters on your recordings for you can skip a
    chapter if there is damage to the DVD.

    Regards Brian
    Brian, Aug 25, 2004
  6. dg Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > or gets hung up and then skips sections. And lately one
    > that I recently put on DVD has no visible scratches or
    > foreign material on it, but it acts the same way.
    >
    > Are there ways of overcoming that sort of thing? Can
    > they be cleaned, and scratches gotten out of them,
    > or something?

    One thing you may try is to copy the bad scratched DVDs to another blank.
    Sometimes scratched discs aren't SO bad, but a set top DVD player will
    hiccup while playing. A DVD drive in a PC on the other hand may spend 20
    seconds trying to re-read the "bad" part and actually correctly read
    eventually! I have done it myself with audio CDs. Next, the problem you
    have with 1 DVD not being scratched but not playing right, try copying it to
    a new blank of a different brand/color. Sometimes DVD players have media
    incompatibilities and will not properly playback certain types of DVDR. I
    have had this happen as well. A true test of the disc is to play it in a
    different player and see if that changes things, or play it on a PC where
    the drives are often more tolerant of media differences.

    --Dan
    dg, Aug 30, 2004