About Irfanview 4.00

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mianileng@yahoo.com, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
    don't like about v4.00.

    1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
    not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
    practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
    then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
    is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
    so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
    window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
    adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
    window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
    opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
    the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
    enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
    convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
    on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.

    2. When I want to view basic picture information and then EXIF
    data, I use the shortcut keys 'i' and then 'e'. With pre-4.00
    versions, pressing 'Enter' twice closes the two information
    windows in sequence. Now the EXIF data window no longer exits by
    pressing Enter. I know this is a minor matter as the Escape key
    does the same job, but I wonder why Irfan thought it was better
    to change it ?

    The first point is the reason why I'm going back to v3.99. I
    just can't get used to it even after using 4.00 for the past
    several months. Does anyone know if there's a way to avoid it ?

    , Nov 29, 2007

  2. frederick Guest

    wrote:
    > I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
    > don't like about v4.00.
    >
    > 1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
    > not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
    > practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
    > then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
    > is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
    > so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
    > window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
    > adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
    > window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
    > opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
    > the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
    > enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
    > convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
    > on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.

    You might like Gimp for this.
    Slide the mouse cursor across the rulers to drag "guides" and position
    them precisely when zoomed in. (ie 2 vertical & 2 horizontal guides)
    Shortcut keys Ctrl|Shift|e re-zoom image to fit in window.
    Rectangle select then "snaps" to position of guides for accurate
    cropping (same as for photoshop - but free).

    frederick, Nov 29, 2007

  3. irwell Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:11:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
    >don't like about v4.00.

    My latest download was v4.10, it's a winner, especially the new
    included filters.

    irwell, Nov 29, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Nov 30, 2:27 am, irwell <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:11:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    > >I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
    > >don't like about v4.00.

    > My latest download was v4.10, it's a winner, especially the new
    > included filters.

    I didn't know 4.10 was out. I'll d/l it tomorrow. I'm on
    dial-up and it's 3:00 am here now. Thanks for the info.

    , Nov 29, 2007
  5. Keith nuttle Guest

    wrote:

    > I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
    > don't like about v4.00.
    >
    > 1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
    > not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
    > practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
    > then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
    > is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
    > so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
    > window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
    > adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
    > window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
    > opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
    > the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
    > enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
    > convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
    > on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.
    >
    > 2. When I want to view basic picture information and then EXIF
    > data, I use the shortcut keys 'i' and then 'e'. With pre-4.00
    > versions, pressing 'Enter' twice closes the two information
    > windows in sequence. Now the EXIF data window no longer exits by
    > pressing Enter. I know this is a minor matter as the Escape key
    > does the same job, but I wonder why Irfan thought it was better
    > to change it ?
    >
    > The first point is the reason why I'm going back to v3.99. I
    > just can't get used to it even after using 4.00 for the past
    > several months. Does anyone know if there's a way to avoid it ?

    Change the view options. Go to view --> display options ----> don't fit
    anything.

    I think this will solve your problem. Irfanview is to good a program to
    give up on.

    --
    Keith Nuttle
    3110 Marquette Court

    Keith nuttle, Nov 29, 2007
  6. Matt Ion Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I've always been a fan of Irfanview, but there are two things I
    >> don't like about v4.00.
    >>
    >> 1. When I do a precise crop of a large picture, I usually prefer
    >> not to zoom out because zooming out reduces precision. My usual
    >> practice is to draw the crop rectangle in the visible window and
    >> then resize the crop area as necessary. If the desired crop area
    >> is larger than the window (as it often is), I pull out one side
    >> so that the opposite crop border scrolls out of the visible
    >> window. But with v4.00, the opposite side often (but not always)
    >> adjusts itself automatically to remain at the edge of the view
    >> window. Then I have to slide the scroll bar, go back to the
    >> opposite side, and pull it out again. Sometimes I have to repeat
    >> the process more than once. I am aware that it is possible to
    >> enter a predetermined crop size, but this is not always
    >> convenient or applicable - the desired crop area often depends
    >> on picture content rather than its dimensions in pixels.
    > >

    > You might like Gimp for this.
    > Slide the mouse cursor across the rulers to drag "guides" and position
    > them precisely when zoomed in. (ie 2 vertical & 2 horizontal guides)
    > Shortcut keys Ctrl|Shift|e re-zoom image to fit in window.
    > Rectangle select then "snaps" to position of guides for accurate
    > cropping (same as for photoshop - but free).

    GIMP is sort of overkill for that... Irfanview's main advantage is that
    it's small and fast. It would be like using a dump truck instead of a
    pickup to haul a couple bags of trash.

    Matt Ion, Nov 30, 2007