About Fuji S2 Pro and Nikon D100 digital cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by marc soler, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. marc soler

    marc soler Guest

    I want to have one of these models but I haven't yet chosen one. Of
    course it's for professional purposes!

    I'm interested to know the following:

    -Which model has the faster and more precise AF?

    -I have a Nikon Speedlight SB-28 Flash and I'd like to use it with a
    Fuji S2 Pro digital camera body. Is it possible to use it taking
    advantage of all TTL functions as I'm used to with my Nikon F90X body
    camera? Or will I have to buy a digital flash as I should do if I
    owned a Nikon D100?

    - Which is the best support storage: SmartMedia or CompactFlash?

    -Which has the best white balance?

    -Is a disadvantage for a digital professional camera not to have
    FireWire?

    Thank you.

    MSM

    marc soler, Dec 28, 2003

  2. marc soler

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (marc soler) writes:
    > I'm interested to know the following:
    >
    > -Which model has the faster and more precise AF?

    Exactly the same. They both use the Nikon F80 AF system.

    > -I have a Nikon Speedlight SB-28 Flash and I'd like to use it with a
    > Fuji S2 Pro digital camera body. Is it possible to use it taking
    > advantage of all TTL functions as I'm used to with my Nikon F90X body
    > camera? Or will I have to buy a digital flash as I should do if I
    > owned a Nikon D100?

    I seem to remember the S2 is better in this regard, but check the
    reviews.

    > - Which is the best support storage: SmartMedia or CompactFlash?

    Both of these cameras use CF. CF is better. SmartMedia is pretty
    much obsolete these days. It's been replaced with a physically
    smaller version called xD PictureCard. I don't know if any new
    SmartMedia cameras are currently being made.

    > -Which has the best white balance?

    Don't know.

    > -Is a disadvantage for a digital professional camera not to have
    > FireWire?

    Firewire has a big advantage when compared to the USB 1.1 used in the
    D100. When compared to USB 2.0 as used in the D2H, it's closer to a
    toss-up. USB 2.0 can in principle have a small raw speed advantage
    over Firewire, though that's usually not achieved in practice. For
    various reasons my preference stays with Firewire, but it wouldn't be
    a purchase decision significant factor if the alternative is USB 2.0.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2003

  3. "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > (marc soler) writes:
    > > I'm interested to know the following:
    > >
    > > -Which model has the faster and more precise AF?

    > Exactly the same. They both use the Nikon F80 AF system.
    >
    > > -I have a Nikon Speedlight SB-28 Flash and I'd like to use it with a
    > > Fuji S2 Pro digital camera body. Is it possible to use it taking
    > > advantage of all TTL functions as I'm used to with my Nikon F90X body
    > > camera? Or will I have to buy a digital flash as I should do if I
    > > owned a Nikon D100?

    > I seem to remember the S2 is better in this regard, but check the
    > reviews.
    >
    > > - Which is the best support storage: SmartMedia or CompactFlash?

    > Both of these cameras use CF. CF is better. SmartMedia is pretty
    > much obsolete these days. It's been replaced with a physically
    > smaller version called xD PictureCard. I don't know if any new
    > SmartMedia cameras are currently being made.
    >
    > > -Which has the best white balance?

    > Don't know.
    >
    > > -Is a disadvantage for a digital professional camera not to have
    > > FireWire?

    > Firewire has a big advantage when compared to the USB 1.1 used in the
    > D100. When compared to USB 2.0 as used in the D2H, it's closer to a
    > toss-up. USB 2.0 can in principle have a small raw speed advantage
    > over Firewire, though that's usually not achieved in practice. For
    > various reasons my preference stays with Firewire, but it wouldn't be
    > a purchase decision significant factor if the alternative is USB 2.0.

    An oft-repeated question. I agonized between the two also. I ended up
    getting the S2 Pro and several thousand pictures later I am completely
    satisfied.

    The S2 Pro has better resolution, better color, and better noise
    performance, especially at high ISO and that was what finally won me over. I
    also like that I could use any TTL flash like the SB28, and wasn't locked
    into a Nikon Speedlight SB50DX or SB800DX, the only two for the Nikon for
    TTL.

    I like the Firewire, and use it for tethered shooting. I used to use it for
    camera download, and it was very fast, but now I use a firewire card reader.
    It's nice away from home, though. You don't need to pack your card reader
    with your laptop.

    The AF System for both is the same. Fuji has 2 custom white balance
    settings. The S2 Pro's auto white balance is better than the D100's but the
    D100 has more flexibility in the custom settings.

    The Fuji will go down to ISO 100. Nice. I strongly prefer the Fuji
    ergonomics. The grip is a little deeper and more natural to hold, IMHO.

    On the down side, the Fuji will only flash synch at 1/125 from the hot shoe.
    If you use a PC cable (the D100 doesn't have a PC cable socket, BTW) then it
    synchs at 1/180. I have never found that to be a problem, but some pros
    complain about it. I'm not sure why. Really, I only use flash for low level
    studio stuff wherein I use an SB800 on an umbrella as a key light via PC
    cord, and a diffused SB50DX on wireless slave as a kicker, with a manual
    flash with slave for backlighting - nothing fancy, but works OK for me as a
    cheap studio. I do wish that the Fuji could use a vertical grip (Nikon
    MB10). I also use an SB29 ring flash for macro.

    A lot is made of the battery issue. It just hasn 't been a problem for me.
    Use only 2100+ mah NiMH batteries. They cost about $10 for 4, recharge in
    1/2 hour and last about 700-900 shots. You can buy 5 sets (4000+ shots) for
    the cost of one Nikon D100 battery. The CR123s I buy for $1.20 each in bulk.
    Some people don't use them at all, but I do because the meter goes blank
    between shots til you half-press if you don't. In the Minnesota cold, I take
    the CR123s out and use a 5 volt battery pack under my coat plugged into the
    ac adapter socket, though. A DPS-8100 is about $45. If you prefer L-ION aux,
    you can get a DPS-9000 for about $60. If you want to avoid the battery issue
    altogether, a lot of people slightly modify a Nikon MB 16 battery pack.

    They are both great cameras. There are pros and cons on both sides. For me,
    it was the out-of-the camera color and image sharpness that made me get the
    S2 Pro.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 28, 2003
  4. marc soler

    W6DKN Guest

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/s2.html

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/nikon_d100.html

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond100/

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis2pro/

    W6DKN, Dec 28, 2003
  5. "marc soler" <> wrote in message
    > I want to have one of these models but I haven't yet chosen one. Of
    > course it's for professional purposes!
    >
    > I'm interested to know the following:
    >
    > -Which model has the faster and more precise AF?
    >
    > -I have a Nikon Speedlight SB-28 Flash and I'd like to use it with a
    > Fuji S2 Pro digital camera body. Is it possible to use it taking
    > advantage of all TTL functions as I'm used to with my Nikon F90X body
    > camera? Or will I have to buy a digital flash as I should do if I
    > owned a Nikon D100?

    I work as a newspaper reporter and bought a S2 this past August. 6000+
    frames and counting.

    I have a SB-28. Beautiful combination and totally compatible.

    > - Which is the best support storage: SmartMedia or CompactFlash?
    >
    > -Which has the best white balance?

    The on-board choices aren't bad, but I use the custom setting whenever
    there's time.

    > -Is a disadvantage for a digital professional camera not to have
    > FireWire?

    The S2 can download USB 1.1 and firewire. When I download 100 shots at a
    time, the firewire is most definitely worth it.

    I wish is had a verticl grip though. I used an awful lot of 123 batteries,
    about a set per 550-600 shots. It's a good thing the paper pays for them.

    Hope this helps

    Zinchuk

    Brian Zinchuk, Dec 29, 2003
  6. marc soler

    Paul Rubin Guest

    You can get them from www.batterystation.com for $1.25 each.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 29, 2003
  7. One thought: it is said that the Fuji S2 Pro sensor provides
    better color in raw camera JPGs. If true, that may be an
    element in your decision-making.

    I don't have an S2, but I have spent a lot of time (hundreds
    of images worth) tuning up color for professional photographers
    who use the D100. My guess is that those folks are not
    camera-usage experts; many of the shots are underexposed
    and way off in color. But, given that, the D100 appears to need
    excellent shot-taking skills as regards exposure and color
    temperature. I've heard that the S2 is more forgiving in that regard.

    Also: regarding how the camera sends data to the computer: I never
    trust camera companies to get that stuff right. Bumped into too many
    unneeded idiocies over the years. So get a nice card reader, USB 2.0 or Firewire,
    and pop the camera's memory card into that.

    -- Stan

    Stanley Krute, Dec 29, 2003