    When listing experience on my resume, is it acceptable to use PERSONAL (i.e.
    at your own computer at home) experience or does it have to be on-the-job
    experience?

    doobie, Jul 5, 2007

  2. doobie

    CBIC Guest

    "doobie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > So I'm reading through the posts here, and I keep hearing everyone say (or
    > seeing everyone type, rather) that experience should precede the
    > certification.
    >
    > Well, even the entry-level jobs for Desktop Support that I've come across
    > require 1-2+ years of experience in addition to the certifications. How
    > is
    > one supposed to go about getting experience when even the entry-level jobs
    > require previous experience?
    >
    > When listing experience on my resume, is it acceptable to use PERSONAL
    > (i.e.
    > at your own computer at home) experience or does it have to be on-the-job
    > experience?

    This has been talked about before on here. One should try to volunteer in
    order to gain experience. I would not list personal experience on my resume.

    CBIC, Jul 5, 2007

  3. doobie

    vabo Guest

    I think that computers should just become part of school system before

    vabo, Jul 6, 2007
  4. doobie

    vabo Guest

    I just think that computers should be part of the school system before high
    school or collage

    vabo, Jul 6, 2007
  5. doobie

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    You should list pertinant personal experiences for sure! When I
    started all I had was a few college courses and all my hard earned
    experiences at home. I expanded it and listed acheivments, but it was
    all in how you wrote them. Don't put down that you "build pcs for
    friends and family". Put down exact numbers like "Built 4 XP game
    machines for family", "Installed and Configured Wireless Router".

    If it is all you got, push it. Then over time slowly migrate those off
    of your resume. The resume is ONLY supposed to get you an interview.
    It is in the interview,(HOPEFULLY WITH AN IT STAFFER AND NOT A
    CLUELESS HR STAFF), that you can wow them with details. You can then
    tell them how you did such and such one night using a dial up account
    to blah blah blah[insert nerdy story here].

    Hands down, certifications are nice, but they want experience from
    what little searching I have done.

    If you are stuck trying to word it out on the resume, ask someone in
    the field, or politely ask for a copy of theior resume. Most people
    will gladly let someone starting out have a copy.

    Good luck man.

    djpimpdaddy, Jul 9, 2007
  6. doobie

    Guest

    On Jul 5, 5:24 pm, doobie <> wrote:
    > So I'm reading through the posts here, and I keep hearing everyone say (or
    > seeing everyone type, rather) that experience should precede the
    > certification.
    >
    > Well, even the entry-level jobs for Desktop Support that I've come across
    > require 1-2+ years of experience in addition to the certifications. How is
    > one supposed to go about getting experience when even the entry-level jobs
    > require previous experience?
    >
    > When listing experience on my resume, is it acceptable to use PERSONAL (i.e.
    > at your own computer at home) experience or does it have to be on-the-job
    > experience?

    I've always likened this type of question to the "Which came first,
    the chicken or the egg?" category. Back when I was trying to get
    started, I listed the course work I had completed toward MCSE (which,
    I might add, I STILL haven't actually gotten), the meager experience I
    had up to that point, my education (an Associate of Science degree in
    Information Systems Technology) and my certification (which was an MCP
    with a few NT 4.0 exams under my belt). It got me hired onto a help
    desk where I worked for a few years. I then migrated into being the
    manager of the help desk's knowledge base for a couple of years.
    There's a whole lot of backstory to this, but the short version is
    that I am now going back to college to finish up my Bachelors degree,
    I finished my MCDST, and am working toward other certs (MCSA, A+,
    Network+, CCNA, etc.).

    Historically, many IT organizations start newbies out on their help
    desk/telephone support center, but even then, they're looking for at
    least a smidgen of experience, so I'd concentrate on getting the MCDST
    as a hedge against your lack of experience. That would probably be the
    least difficult cert to get with minimal to no practical experience
    (other than what you get in lab work in a classroom environment).

    An important caveat here: don't try to take the exams without having
    at least a little practical experience, whether that is working on
    virtual machines on your home PC, or in a classroom lab, or whatever.
    You'll just be shooting yourself in the foot if you try to fake your
    way through the exams by simply reading books. As djpimpdaddy said, be
    sure to word your resume carefully when listing your experience.
    Doobie's suggestion to volunteer somewhere is a great idea as well, as
    long as you can find someone that will let you mess with their system.
    Better yet would be to check with one of the local PC repair
    businesses in your area and ask them if you can "intern" with them to
    get some experience. You may find one that will let you "watch but
    don't touch" for a while until they feel you're ready to actually do
    some real work, but this can still be helpful in your learning journey
    and can count as experience on your resume.

    Good luck!

    , Jul 10, 2007