    for another computer to get in the same network or is there a DHCP cache in
    the server that holds that address for a period of time?

    -Sami R

    Sami, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Sami

    Guest Guest

    nope, the address should be free inmediately (if your client is educated and
    released really the ip with an dhcp release).

    --

    2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

    ///////////////////
    --Anthrax--
    //////////////////

    Guest, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Sami

    Sami Guest

    Hi,

    the client is a PC with windows 2000. The IP release is done with
    ipconfig/release -command.

    -Sami

    Sami, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Sami

    Guest Guest

    Contrary to what all people believe windows client not always send the dhcp
    release packet to the server (or it could be malformed). it would be great
    if you have a chance to sniffer the media and look the real packet.
    Alternatevely what the DHCP debugs show? does the switch/router gets the
    release?

    Guest, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Sami

    Sami Guest

    <Anthrax> wrote in message news:...
    > Contrary to what all people believe windows client not always send the

    dhcp
    > release packet to the server (or it could be malformed). it would be great
    > if you have a chance to sniffer the media and look the real packet.
    > Alternatevely what the DHCP debugs show? does the switch/router gets the
    > release?

    Hi,

    Ethereal Sniffer log shows a DHCP release transaction when ipconfig/release
    command is executed.

    -Sami

    Sami, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Sami

    Anthrax Guest

    So then is released, and should be available immediately for use in the
    switch/router. Does the router act differently?

    --

    http://www.usenet.com

    Anthrax, Aug 17, 2005
  7. Sami

    Sami Guest

    Actually my workmate was asking me this because he released the IP from one
    computer and then he tried to get it with another but the other computer
    didn't get any address. So I thought that maybe the router holds the address

    Sami, Aug 17, 2005
  8. Sami

    Anthrax Guest

    nope, it is free immediately. any proof that the router is denying the ip?

    Anthrax, Aug 17, 2005