    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.

    John, May 31, 2005

  2. John

    Ed Mullen Guest

    John wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I'm trying to transfer settings from one computer yo another.
    > I know how to transfer the bookmarks and cookies.
    > Which file contains the "about:config" settings?
    >
    > Thanks!

    about:config settings are not in a single file. The listing derives
    from a variety of sources in the program as well as prefs.js and
    user.js. You /could/ try copying the prefs.js and user.js (if one
    exists) files but unless the path, usernames, and everything else is
    identical on the two machines that will probably cause you more grief
    than joy.

    Cookies, bookmarks, passwords, forms, junk filter data file, and other
    such things can simply be copied from one PC's profile to the other.
    Here are some links to read up on understanding and transfering profiles.

    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#transferring
    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 31, 2005

  3. John

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I'm trying to transfer settings from one computer yo another.
    >> I know how to transfer the bookmarks and cookies.
    >> Which file contains the "about:config" settings?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > about:config settings are not in a single file. The listing derives
    > from a variety of sources in the program as well as prefs.js and
    > user.js. You /could/ try copying the prefs.js and user.js (if one
    > exists) files but unless the path, usernames, and everything else is
    > identical on the two machines that will probably cause you more grief
    > than joy.
    >
    > Cookies, bookmarks, passwords, forms, junk filter data file, and other
    > such things can simply be copied from one PC's profile to the other.
    > Here are some links to read up on understanding and transfering profiles.
    >
    > http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    > http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/#transferring
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >

    >> John <><
    >>
    >> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey with an other monkey's
    >> monkey.

    Oh, and I meant to mention that your signature delimiter is non-standard
    and, hence, newsreader software can't strip out the sig, making for
    clutter in ongoing threads. http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_sigtag.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you
    please. - Mark Twain

    Ed Mullen, May 31, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:10:45 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >
    >> Hi:

    Thanks, Ed!

    John, May 31, 2005
  5. John

    Victor Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I'm trying to transfer settings from one computer yo another.
    > I know how to transfer the bookmarks and cookies.
    > Which file contains the "about:config" settings?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John <><

    If you are only concerned with your about:config settings, then just
    transfer over your prefs.js. If you are using Windows, you'll find prefs.js
    in your "windows\Application Data" directory.

    Eyeball the prefs.js file for any incorrect paths, and correct them, OR,
    start FireFox immediately after copying the prefs.js file and then go to
    Tools > Options and check all of your settings.

    Vic

    Victor, May 31, 2005