about.config extension

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Scott Nelson, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. Scott Nelson

    Scott Nelson Guest

    Scott Nelson, Sep 16, 2005

  2. just about about
    http://www.google.com/search?q=about-config about:plugins about-cache %
    7C+about-build+about%3Akitchensink

    Scott Nelson <> in news:Ro-dnUkjAYhdgrfeRVn-
    :

    > Maybe i shouldn't be messing with this

    of course you should :)
    you're better off creating a fresh "test" profile, imo

    zip the profile foldre occasionally (or drag copy elswhere) occasionally for backups.

    if you suddenly *have to* reinstall, then after reinstall you can point the profile manager
    to the same profile

    [your program folders]/firefox.exe -p

    in a shortcut will open profile manager (google that!)

    > if I'm not sure what I'm doing
    > but what I've tried works great.

    aha

    > Is there a place that explains what
    > each command does?
    >
    > Scott

    the variables (or whatever they call those prefs things) mutate, so older info is more
    obsolete:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=about-config | prefs firefox

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=prefs firefox ~different ~browsers | ~builds
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=about-config firefox ~different ~browsers %
    7C+~builds

    Quasimido CSS, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Scott Nelson

    Doug G Guest

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    Doug G, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Scott Nelson

    Moz Champion Guest

    Scott Nelson wrote:
    > Maybe i shouldn't be messing with this if I'm not sure what I'm doing
    > but what I've tried works great. Is there a place that explains what
    > each command does?
    >
    > Scott

    No. There are several sites that mention some of the preferences you
    see, but I know of no comprehensive list of all of them. If you dont
    know what it does, then dont mess with it <g>

    Some of the preferences can be figured out by changing a setting in
    Preferences (within the program) and then observing what was changed.
    Others are specifically mentioned in discusssions about certain problems
    or bugs or fixes, some are described in discuassion about how the
    program works and so forth

    The best thing, dont change things using about:config unless you know
    what you are doing, either following instructions given by others or be
    reliable sources (websites).

    SOME of the settings are discussed here
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/etips6.html
    especially in the mail/news area about changing certain items. There are
    several throughout the site tho.

    Here are some from that site that deal with miscellaneous settings
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqgeneral.html#7

    note: the details about user.js are also available on the page,
    about:config gives you access to the prefs.js without the requirement
    for the user created user.js (which modifies the prefs.js for you)

    Moz Champion, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Scott Nelson

    John Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:56:03 GMT, Moz Champion <>
    wrote:

    >No. There are several sites that mention some of the preferences you
    >see, but I know of no comprehensive list of all of them. If you dont
    >know what it does, then dont mess with it <g>

    There is an entry which can be used to do the following:
    Like in Netscape, a home page can be set, but does not come up when Firefox
    opens.
    Clicking on the "hone" icon will bring it up.

    Can anyone tell me what that is?

    Thanks!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.

    John, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Scott Nelson

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Scott Nelson wrote:
    > Maybe i shouldn't be messing with this if I'm not sure what I'm doing
    > but what I've tried works great. Is there a place that explains what
    > each command does?
    >
    > Scott

    In addition to other replies here's another link to info on prefs:

    mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_prefs.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Scott Nelson

    Doug G Guest

    John <>< wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:56:03 GMT, Moz Champion <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>No. There are several sites that mention some of the preferences you
    >>see, but I know of no comprehensive list of all of them. If you dont
    >>know what it does, then dont mess with it <g>
    >>

    > There is an entry which can be used to do the following:
    > Like in Netscape, a home page can be set, but does not come up when Firefox
    > opens.
    > Clicking on the "hone" icon will bring it up.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what that is?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John <><

    browser.startup.page user set integer 0

    Doug G, Sep 16, 2005
  8. Scott Nelson

    John Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:27:15 -0500, Doug G <> wrote:

    >browser.startup.page user set integer 0

    Thanks, Doug!

    John, Sep 16, 2005
  9. Scott Nelson

    Zygon Curry Guest

    <> wrote:

    >If you dont know what it does, then dont mess with it <g>

    I have to agree with this :)

    I made the Pipelining Speedup changes in the about:config that loads
    of people raved about saying it greatly improved performance. I've
    since removed those changes. It turned out that many popular sites
    worked less well as a result! e.g. slow to load, some images not

    Zygon Curry, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Scott Nelson

    gwtc Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:56:03 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>If you dont know what it does, then dont mess with it <g>

    > I have to agree with this :)
    >
    > I made the Pipelining Speedup changes in the about:config that loads
    > of people raved about saying it greatly improved performance. I've
    > since removed those changes. It turned out that many popular sites
    > worked less well as a result! e.g. slow to load, some images not

    Thats correct. Not all sites can handle pipelining. Thats why most
    people who rave about it, have ended up changing it back.

    gwtc, Sep 21, 2005