    TIA,
    st

    , Oct 27, 2008

  2. writes:
    >For cisco switch, it has access and trunk port and other venders
    >have access,trunk and hybrid port. How does cisco support
    >hybrid port function?

    Cisco is half-hybrid by default. The "default" VLAN is a hybrid, but
    cisco doesn't support the mix-and-match hybrid that other switch
    vendors support. (ie. you only get the one VLAN that is hybrid, you
    can't choose every VLAN if its tagged or un-tagged per port).

    Personally, I've never needed to have that level of flexibility.
    I'd either want a trunk or an access port. I don't need to mix and
    match in a full hybrid setup like that ever.

    Doug McIntyre, Oct 27, 2008

  3. Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <49060a33$0$60066$>,
    Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    > writes:
    > >For cisco switch, it has access and trunk port and other venders
    > >have access,trunk and hybrid port. How does cisco support
    > >hybrid port function?

    > Cisco is half-hybrid by default. The "default" VLAN is a hybrid, but
    > cisco doesn't support the mix-and-match hybrid that other switch
    > vendors support. (ie. you only get the one VLAN that is hybrid, you
    > can't choose every VLAN if its tagged or un-tagged per port).
    >
    > Personally, I've never needed to have that level of flexibility.
    > I'd either want a trunk or an access port. I don't need to mix and
    > match in a full hybrid setup like that ever.

    I read that a different way. IIUC IEEE 802.1Q terminology (which Cisco
    don't publicise - it should be obvious why by the time you've read this)
    classes ports as access, trunk or hybrid. Ports have a port VLAN ID
    (PVID) which is the default or native VLAN. Access ports have one VLAN,
    untagged. 802.1Q trunk ports have NO VLANs untagged, though may/should
    accept untagged (or 0-tagged) frames into the port VLAN. 802.1Q hybrid
    ports transmit frames for the PVID untagged.

    Ports configured as trunk ports on Cisco kit are actually 802.1Q hybrid
    ports, not 802.1Q trunk ports. You can make a Cisco tag the native
    VLAN, making a port an 802.1Q port, but it's a little messy and it looks
    as though that stops untagged frames being accepted into the default
    VLAN.

    HTH, though whether it's anything to do with the OP's question I'm not
    sure. For info see [1] below (possibly somewhat out of date), starting
    at about slide 33.

    Sam

    [1]
    <http://www.avaya.com/master-usa/en-us/resource/assets/applicationnotes/v