About backing up hard drive data

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGludXM=?=, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. I need some advice on backing up data my two desktop computers. I was
    thinking to buy an external enclosure with a hard drive (Looks easy but costs
    $130.00).

    Or is there a simple way to just hook these computers together with a cable
    and backup data that way. I don’t know anything yet about “Home Networkingâ€
    or “Wireless,†I just want some advice on how best to spend my money here.

    An acquaintance has wireless laptop and says he backs it up to his desktop
    using a “wireless modem†attachment on his desktop (Cost under $100.00) and
    lets him access all the data on either computer from either computer.

    Old computer is a Pentium 4 about six years old running XP Pro. With all the
    updates. Two hard drives with plenty of memory and storage. Hardware Manager
    don’t give a clue if it’s USB l or USB 2, but I suspect probably just USB 1.
    It also has a 9 Pin Serial Port and a Firewire connection.

    New computer is custom built with XP Pro. Rev 2. Asus mother board has USB
    2, e-SATA, Firewire, and 9 Pin Serial Port connections. Also has built in
    wireless that is supposed to work as a “Modem†or “Hub†or something for
    connecting other computers.

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    Linusverl
    =?Utf-8?B?TGludXM=?=, Jul 10, 2007

  2. If you have plenty of room on each computers hard drive you can directly back
    up each computer to the other. Are your computers networked? If they are both
    accessing the computer they probably are. Create a folder on each computer
    named backup then share these folders. This link will help with sharing.
    Once they are shared you can configure the backups to store on the other
    computer's network share. This will only work if you have enought storage
    room. Remember, don't backup the other computer's backup. This link explains
    the backup process.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    Let me know if you need more help.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3BlbmNlYXRpb24=?=, Jul 13, 2007

  3. Thank you Spenceation for your reply, Backing up my data was my only original
    thought. I have read the material you suggested and realize that setting up
    two computers for networking involves a lot more than just hooking them
    together with a wire.

    It's possible a little beyond my capability, but It would be nice to be able
    to print from either computer as well as back up, so I will try to set up a
    network. I appreciate you help and will thank you in advance for next time, I
    have a feeling I will be needing more help before I get this working.

    Linusverl

    =?Utf-8?B?TGludXM=?=, Jul 19, 2007