About antivirus need help

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bW96YWxidA==?=, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. Which are the best security software to use with this OS? because the best
    ones that I know like Panda, Norton etc, can't work in the 64bit plattaform.

    =?Utf-8?B?bW96YWxidA==?=, Nov 19, 2005

  2. The best one is avast 4.6 that you can download there:
    I'ts great stuff.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGl2ZXJ0?=, Nov 19, 2005

  3. AVG, Avast!, Nod32, eTrust AV 7.1.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005
  4. Well in my post comparing 64 bit to a 32 bit someone suggest to install a 32
    bit O.S. and a 64 bit O.S.
    I'm just starting of with this 64 bit stuff so I don't know if this is true
    to the letter but if it is then you could install 32 bit software and it will
    work on a 64 bit mainboard.
    I really hope that it is true it would be bummer to mis out on the 32 bit
    software.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWx1Y2FyZA==?=, Nov 19, 2005
  5. Symantec AntiVirus 10 also works on Windows x64 but cannot be updated
    through a Parent Server.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 19, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?bW96YWxidA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The 32-bit software that won't install, or which installs, but doesn't
    function properly on x64, could then be installed on your XP 32-bit and used
    in dual boot. That means you have to choose which OS you are going to use
    when you boot your system.

    John Barnes, Nov 19, 2005
  7. This is quite true, but don't mix up the concepts - in this situation you
    must install the different OS's, each on a separate bootable partition. This
    means, you boot up the machine with the one system, or the other. Further,
    this also means that you can have virus protection for each system, but you
    cannot have cross-OS protection!

    When you boot XP Pro x64, you must have 64bit virus protection installed on
    that partition. When you boot 32bit XP Pro, you must have 32bit protection
    installed on that partition, although Avast will support both systems it
    will have to be installed on each partition separately, you get 60 days free
    use with the download, then you have to register. Registration, however, is
    valid for a year and is completely free.

    To be able to have both systems running at the same time , you'd need a
    Virtual Machine running it, even then - if I'm not mistaken, you'd need
    virusprotection installed separately.

    Hope I didn't miss anything important.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 19, 2005
  8. That is not entirely true. You can use AV to scan both partitions from one
    of them. However, you will only get live protection (like email scanning)
    when you are running the OS on which the AV program is installed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005
  9. Oh, yes - of course, if you scan the local HD's you also scan any 'other'
    installations, but it doesn't help you when you boot up in that 'other'OS -
    thanks for clarifying.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 19, 2005
  10. what about BitDefender 9? Is this one better than avast 4.6?

    =?Utf-8?B?bW96YWxidA==?=, Nov 19, 2005
  11. All you're going to get is the usual cheerleading for one product or
    another. Pick one and try it. If you don't get the result you want, try
    another. Personally, I use eTrust AV 7.1 (NOT EZTrust which a different
    product) because it is officially released (not a beta or "still in
    testing") and is supported by CA on x64. It is not a free AV, however.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005