    Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec

    When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
    begun?

    David, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Hi there,

    David wrote:
    > iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
    > agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
    > entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
    >
    > A speed test agrees:
    > Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
    >
    > When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
    > begun?

    Looks to be the case.

    Out of curiosity do any Telecom ADSL accounts still have a cost
    for excess data over the account cap? Anyone with an account
    like that would need to be quite careful they didn't excitedly
    download too much stuff...Telecom would not be complaining
    if they did I would imagine, and that may be Telecoms desire
    all along... :-(

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 7, 2006

  3. "David" <> wrote in message news:eg7j7d$fph$...
    > iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
    > agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
    > entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
    >
    > A speed test agrees:
    > Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
    >
    > When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
    > begun?

    I presume you are on a 3.5M connection so the results you are
    getting are correct. Also a lot of apple's webpages are Akamaied so
    you are probably getting it nationally off an Akamai Cache.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 7, 2006
  4. David wrote:
    > iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
    > agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
    > entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
    >
    > A speed test agrees:
    > Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
    >
    > When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
    > begun?

    It appears that both Telecom and TelstraClear have provisioned more capacity
    (internationally and in at least TC's case nationally) in the face of legal
    trouble.

    Mark Robinson, Oct 7, 2006
  5. In article <eg7j7d$fph$>, says...
    > iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
    > agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
    > entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
    >
    > A speed test agrees:
    > Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
    >
    > When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
    > begun?

    Except in my case, I suddenly have been throttled from 2 Mbit to 256 kbits.
    Jeez, suddenly everything crawls. I am NOT a happy camper, been noticing for a
    few days, today I got around to tracking it down and it's actually the adsl
    speed that's so low (and here I was blaming servers). Yukk.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 7, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    ess says...

    > Except in my case, I suddenly have been throttled from 2 Mbit to 256 kbits.
    > Jeez, suddenly everything crawls. I am NOT a happy camper, been noticing for a
    > few days, today I got around to tracking it down and it's actually the adsl
    > speed that's so low (and here I was blaming servers). Yukk.
    >
    > -P.

    Heh, looks to have been a [faulty] splitter. I replaced the d-link with a
    dynalink and suddenly the adsl connect is reported at 2532 kbits. Much better
    :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 7, 2006
  7. David

    David Empson Guest

    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > David wrote:
    > > iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
    > > agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
    > > entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
    > >
    > > A speed test agrees:
    > > Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
    > >
    > > When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
    > > begun?

    > Looks to be the case.
    >
    > Out of curiosity do any Telecom ADSL accounts still have a cost
    > for excess data over the account cap?

    The cheapest and most expensive plans have excess data charges.

    Looking at the new plans (late October):

    The cheapest plans (Basic) has a 200 MB monthly cap (which could be
    reached in about four minutes at uncapped ADSL speeds).

    The three most expensive plans (Pro, Pro Advanced and Pro Ultra) have
    15, 30 and 50 GB caps.

    All four of these plans cost 2c per MB for data over the cap.

    Two of the plans (Go and Go Express) slow down when they reach their cap
    (1 GB and 2 GB respectively).

    The Go Large plan doesn't have a cap or slow down but has a fair use
    policy and traffic management. The fair use policy basically tries to
    enforce a 700 MB daily limit during peak hours (4 pm to midnight).
    Traffic management tries to constrain file sharing protocols.

    > Anyone with an account like that would need to be quite careful they
    > didn't excitedly download too much stuff...Telecom would not be
    > complaining if they did I would imagine, and that may be Telecoms desire
    > all along... :-(

    You don't say. That Basic plan is a rather major worry for naive users.

    Assuming a download of a mere 100 KB per second (something like a
    reasonable quality video feed) running 24 hours a day they could chew
    through 8.6 GB per day, or up to 267 GB per month. That's over $5000.
    The theoretical limit is almost 1 MB per second, which is a potential
    $50,000 monthly bill, and I haven't even allowed for upload traffic.

    I hope Telecom has some safety checks, like proactively warning anyone
    if they seem to be going significantly over the limit of their plan (and
    no, an e-mail is not sufficient).

    It isn't as bad at the moment, because the Basic plan is speed capped at
    256 kbps, which limits the amount of damage you can do.
    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 7, 2006