    Thanks.
    --
    John B
    John B, Apr 28, 2004

  2. John B wrote:
    > Anyone know if I can use a 266Mhz Athlon 2200XP cpu with my Abit KT7 mb. KT7
    > manual says for cpu's 200MHz (100Mhz double data rate).

    According to the manual, it says that it only supports 100/200 but the
    KT7A supports 133/266 bus speed... in saying that, I don't know how high
    the multiplier goes, it uses a system called "Softmenu III" which means
    you set it in the bios(assuming it'll boot), it seems to suggest that it
    tops out at 1250MHz, so you'll probably be out of luck, although if you
    have the motherboard and CPU, you can but try.

    You may be able to use it set at 100/200MHz and "see how it goes"
    although it will be running slower than it should.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2004

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > John B wrote:
    > > Anyone know if I can use a 266Mhz Athlon 2200XP cpu with my Abit KT7 mb. KT7
    > > manual says for cpu's 200MHz (100Mhz double data rate).

    > According to the manual, it says that it only supports 100/200 but the
    > KT7A supports 133/266 bus speed... in saying that, I don't know how high
    > the multiplier goes, it uses a system called "Softmenu III" which means
    > you set it in the bios(assuming it'll boot), it seems to suggest that it
    > tops out at 1250MHz, so you'll probably be out of luck, although if you
    > have the motherboard and CPU, you can but try.

    Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Might spring for the cpu and try it.
    Then again, might wait until I can get the new KV7 mb and buy an even faster
    cpu.

    > You may be able to use it set at 100/200MHz and "see how it goes"
    > although it will be running slower than it should.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall
    > http://Dave.net.nz
    > We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

    John B
    John B, Apr 28, 2004
  4. John B

    EMB Guest

    In news:icHjc.65$,
    John B <> expelled:

    > Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Might spring for the cpu
    > and try it. Then again, might wait until I can get the new KV7 mb and
    > buy an even faster cpu.

    A faster disk and graphics card will probably give you a better return in
    performace/$ than just going for a faster CPU. The difference between my
    old 1.4GHz Athlon and XP2500+ is not great!

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Apr 28, 2004