Abit IS7 or AI7 - what gives?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Geoff Kloaka, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Geoff Kloaka

    Geoff Kloaka Guest

    Having basically decided on the Abit IS7 for two mates who are each after a
    cost-effective, capable PC, I've recently stumbled across the newer AI7
    which for all intents and purposes seems virtually identical.

    As an IC7 owner myself, the IS7 seems excellent value as by all accounts it
    runs just as fast and stable as its big brother including full PAT
    implementation. The fact that it is cheaper and also includes a built-in
    10/100 NIC was the clincher. Of course, both contain the hideous Abit
    Northbridge fan, but this is easily replaced by a passive Zalman for under
    $10.

    In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive fan and
    a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious difference between
    the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit of a wank as most
    experienced users can manually overclock both to the highest stable level
    and then set and forget. Luckily it can be disabled.

    So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the other
    distinctly better?

    Geoff Kloaka, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Geoff Kloaka

    ICee Guest

    Geoff Kloaka wrote:
    > Having basically decided on the Abit IS7 for two mates who are each
    > after a cost-effective, capable PC, I've recently stumbled across the
    > newer AI7 which for all intents and purposes seems virtually
    > identical.
    >
    > As an IC7 owner myself, the IS7 seems excellent value as by all
    > accounts it runs just as fast and stable as its big brother including
    > full PAT implementation. The fact that it is cheaper and also
    > includes a built-in 10/100 NIC was the clincher. Of course, both
    > contain the hideous Abit Northbridge fan, but this is easily replaced
    > by a passive Zalman for under $10.
    >
    > In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive
    > fan and a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious
    > difference between the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit
    > of a wank as most experienced users can manually overclock both to
    > the highest stable level and then set and forget. Luckily it can be
    > disabled.
    >
    > So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the
    > other distinctly better?

    AFAICT, they are the same except for the "uGuru" overclocking chip.
    Abit did the same with the NF7 MB for AMD CPU's. They came out with the
    AN7 which is the same as the NF7, except for the addition of the uGuru
    chip.

    ICee, Jun 29, 2004

  3. "Geoff Kloaka" wrote
    > In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive fan

    and
    > a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious difference between
    > the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit of a wank as most
    > experienced users can manually overclock both to the highest stable level
    > and then set and forget. Luckily it can be disabled.
    >
    > So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the other
    > distinctly better?

    Hi,
    the AI7 doesn't have a *passive* fan? also it has up to 3.2vDimm adjustments
    and have become known as a *Canterwood Killer!*, I will buy more I think. .
    .. .
    --
    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Geoff Kloaka

    Geoff Kloaka Guest

    "Wayne Youngman" <> wrote in message

    > "Geoff Kloaka" wrote
    > > In the AI7's favour, is the fact that it comes with an Abit passive fan

    > and
    > > a 10/100 NIC. But other than that I can see no obvious difference

    between
    > > the two. The built-in overclocking tools are a bit of a wank as most
    > > experienced users can manually overclock both to the highest stable

    level
    > > and then set and forget. Luckily it can be disabled.
    > >
    > > So am I missing a major difference between the two, or is one or the

    other
    > > distinctly better?

    > Hi,
    > the AI7 doesn't have a *passive* fan? also it has up to 3.2vDimm

    adjustments
    > and have become known as a *Canterwood Killer!*, I will buy more I think.

    ..

    Oops - I don't know why I wrote that? Obviously the AI7 has the newer
    Northbridge fan and it certainly isn't passive! How do you find the
    performance and noise of it?

    Also, the only other difference I can find besides the layout is the inbuilt
    sound. Notice any real improvement over the IS7 or IC7 boards?

    Cheers.

    Geoff Kloaka, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Geoff Kloaka

    TomG Guest

    and be advised that the uGuru hardware can cause issues with other non-uGuru
    aware software like monitoring software...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jun 29, 2004
  6. "TomG" wrote
    > and be advised that the uGuru hardware can cause issues with other

    non-uGuru
    > aware software like monitoring software...

    Hi Tom,
    that doesn't seem to be an issue now that *MBM5 v370* is released, which now
    has full uGuru support (I'm still using the MBM5 v366 BETA which also has
    uGuru support).

    AI7 has a more complete sound solution (Realtek ACL 658, added Optical in).
    The AI7 is my first P4 motherboard so I'm not really sure how it compares to
    the IS7/IC7.
    --
    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jun 30, 2004