Abit IS7-E Shipment, is this the New Layout..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gregory Parker, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Gregory Parker, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Gregory  Parker

    Andrew Guest

    Checksun dont do Abit anymore, These boards are available in NZ though
    When you say "this version" what other versions are there? or did you just
    mean IS7-E

    New layout - What did they look like before?

    "Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message

    > I thought that Checksun was the Agent here but they don't even list Abit..
    >

    > I thought that Andrew might know, if they have this version..

    http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAM
    E=IS7-E&fMTYPE=Socket+478

    Andrew, Nov 10, 2003

  3. On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:50:25 +1300, "Andrew" <> wrote:

    >Checksun dont do Abit anymore, These boards are available in NZ though
    >When you say "this version" what other versions are there? or did you just
    >mean IS7-E
    >
    >New layout - What did they look like before?

    Here is a Pic..

    http://www.abit-korea.co.kr/?this_in=item&seq=100

    Same as the IS7 with the IDE connectors down at the bottom, but the Picture
    that Abit now shows has the Old plastic Fan, but with the IDE connectors up
    next to the ram sockets..

    THe OZZ agent called it a Rev 2 board when I asked..

    The Current imported boards are like the IS7 but with the New Metal Fan and
    its a rev 1.12

    But no one has seen this version of mobo that Abit lists on the Global/US web
    sites..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Gregory  Parker

    Andrew Guest

    I will see if i can get a photo of the ones in NZ

    Andrew, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Gregory  Parker

    Andrew Guest

    > Same as the IS7 with the IDE connectors down at the bottom, but the

    Picture
    > that Abit now shows has the Old plastic Fan, but with the IDE connectors

    up
    > next to the ram sockets..
    >
    > THe OZZ agent called it a Rev 2 board when I asked..
    >

    > The Current imported boards are like the IS7 but with the New Metal Fan

    and
    > its a rev 1.12
    >
    > But no one has seen this version of mobo that Abit lists on the Global/US

    web
    > sites..

    NZ definatly have Metal fan versions with the IDE connectors at the bottom
    rather then by the Memory slots

    Andrew, Nov 10, 2003
  6. On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:24:47 +1300, "Andrew" <> wrote:

    >> Same as the IS7 with the IDE connectors down at the bottom, but the

    >Picture
    >> that Abit now shows has the Old plastic Fan, but with the IDE connectors

    >up
    >> next to the ram sockets..
    >>
    >> THe OZZ agent called it a Rev 2 board when I asked..
    >>

    >> The Current imported boards are like the IS7 but with the New Metal Fan

    >and
    >> its a rev 1.12
    >>
    >> But no one has seen this version of mobo that Abit lists on the Global/US

    >web
    >> sites..

    >NZ definatly have Metal fan versions with the IDE connectors at the bottom
    >rather then by the Memory slots

    Yes from what I have found out and from previous Pictures on the Abit web
    sites, that is the Older version, the US web site use to show that version but
    has since changed it to what is on the Global web site.

    Even the Abit site does not have a PDF manual that matched the listed layout.

    I did contact and he stated that they would be getting
    the Rev 2 boards.

    I have a feeling that, that version of MoBo was never ever made, its a utter
    Con as you can't buy what is advertised..

    The main reason in licking it, it over clocks well, and is a Fast card, has
    PAT, plus has a descent chipset fan and a space for fitting Large 3D cards
    with out loosing a PCI slot and a 4 phase power supply and full support of
    all the USB connectors.

    I looked at the Asus equivalent, (P4P800) No chipset Fan, you loose a PCI
    slot, only a 3 Phase PSU and only sorts 4 USB, you have to buy a USB plate
    plus it cost a lot more for less.

    Other options are the AI7 here, seems to be every ware but here..?

    And the Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2

    What I would really like is a MoBo with a separate IDE controller, ie None
    Raid, MSI used to make one Gigabyte does but the MoBo it up in the $4xx
    price range..

    The Albatron list a board with a IDE raid controller, Albatron PX865PE Pro II

    but from what I can find out the Raid controller can only be use as a Raid
    controller, not like what the Gigabyte can do, this is funny because Albatron
    is a part clone of Gigabyte.

    That is why I was going for a Abit IS7-E and fitting a Promise controller
    card to it..

    Yes I have 5 and more IDE devises and I find that it better to have the Hard
    Drives on a separate controller.

    Mind you if I could get decent SATA to IDE adaptors that might even be a
    option..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Careful of the gigabyte ones.

    You cannot boot from a SATA drive on the ICH5 southbridge unless you map it
    over the top of the primary or seconday IDE channels. On the expensive
    boards that's ok, cause there is also the IDE RAID controller which can be
    used in non-RAID mode. But on the cheaper boards with no add on controllers,
    it means you can only have 4 drives if you want to boot from SATA.
    Apparently the next BIOS is gonna fix it up.

    The Gigabyte 8KNXP is a good board. Hasn't died on me like my three Abit
    IC7-Gs did :) There is another model like the 8KNXP, i forget the model
    number but the only differences are the extra 3 phase power thing which does
    nothing, and it doesn't say it meets VRM 10.0 voltage standards. However,
    if you can get your hands on it, it should only cost around $359. I went to
    get one for myself, but they were out of stock so i got the 8KNXP. It may be
    listed as having 100mb LAN, but the one i got in to sell to a customer had
    CSA bus 1GB LAN. It has 4 SATA channels (2 on ICH5R, 2 on Silicon image
    controller) and 4 IDE ports, 2 normals and 2 on a ITE RAID controller. It
    also works in normal IDE mode.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Gregory  Parker

    Andrew Guest

    > Other options are the AI7 here, seems to be every ware but here..?

    I have spoken to the Abit supplier about this board about a week ago, Abits
    shipment to NZ was already in the works before the AI7 was released, So they
    wont get here until the next shipment.

    Shipments generally arrive via boat so they do take a while, so the AI7 will
    be at least a month away

    Andrew

    Andrew, Nov 10, 2003
  9. On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:04:54 +1300, "Stephen Williams" <>
    wrote:

    >Careful of the gigabyte ones.
    >
    >You cannot boot from a SATA drive on the ICH5 southbridge unless you map it
    >over the top of the primary or seconday IDE channels. On the expensive
    >boards that's ok, cause there is also the IDE RAID controller which can be
    >used in non-RAID mode. But on the cheaper boards with no add on controllers,
    >it means you can only have 4 drives if you want to boot from SATA.
    >Apparently the next BIOS is gonna fix it up.
    >
    >The Gigabyte 8KNXP is a good board. Hasn't died on me like my three Abit
    >IC7-Gs did :) There is another model like the 8KNXP, i forget the model
    >number but the only differences are the extra 3 phase power thing which does
    >nothing, and it doesn't say it meets VRM 10.0 voltage standards. However,
    >if you can get your hands on it, it should only cost around $359. I went to
    >get one for myself, but they were out of stock so i got the 8KNXP. It may be
    >listed as having 100mb LAN, but the one i got in to sell to a customer had
    >CSA bus 1GB LAN. It has 4 SATA channels (2 on ICH5R, 2 on Silicon image
    >controller) and 4 IDE ports, 2 normals and 2 on a ITE RAID controller. It
    >also works in normal IDE mode.
    >
    >Steve

    Hi thanks

    Is this the one you are referring to GIGABYTE GA-8I875 Ultra

    Seems to do what I want, but have not seen it for $359inc or was that a none
    inc price..? the lowest I have seen is around $366inc.

    It seems to be the same as the GA-8KNXP but with out the Extra PSU, the manual
    that I just dnloaded covers both of these models..

    I was going for a cheaper board and put a Promise controller in it.

    Gregory Parker, Nov 10, 2003
  10. "Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message

    > Hi thanks
    >

    > Is this the one you are referring to GIGABYTE GA-8I875 Ultra
    >
    > Seems to do what I want, but have not seen it for $359inc or was that a

    none
    > inc price..? the lowest I have seen is around $366inc.
    >
    > It seems to be the same as the GA-8KNXP but with out the Extra PSU, the

    manual
    > that I just dnloaded covers both of these models..
    >
    > I was going for a cheaper board and put a Promise controller in it.

    Yeah that's the board. The 8KNXP box also states "Featuring new VRM10.0
    specifications with more precise voltage readings and ready for future
    coming processor." So it may or may not support prescott. The 8I875 Ultra
    makes no mention of any such specifications.

    I suppose $366 is about right, $359 was a guess as i can get them wholesale
    through the place i work, but have only ever sold one to a customer who was
    a friend so he got it a bit cheaper.

    FYI the 8KNXP overclocks ok. I have a 2.4c doing 3GHz with stock voltage and
    stock fan. Never had a problem once the board was finally set up.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Nov 10, 2003
  11. On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:44:11 +1300, "Stephen Williams" <>
    wrote:

    >"Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi thanks
    >>

    >> Is this the one you are referring to GIGABYTE GA-8I875 Ultra
    >>
    >> Seems to do what I want, but have not seen it for $359inc or was that a

    >none
    >> inc price..? the lowest I have seen is around $366inc.
    >>
    >> It seems to be the same as the GA-8KNXP but with out the Extra PSU, the

    >manual
    >> that I just dnloaded covers both of these models..
    >>
    >> I was going for a cheaper board and put a Promise controller in it.
    >>

    >Yeah that's the board. The 8KNXP box also states "Featuring new VRM10.0
    >specifications with more precise voltage readings and ready for future
    >coming processor." So it may or may not support prescott. The 8I875 Ultra
    >makes no mention of any such specifications.
    >
    >I suppose $366 is about right, $359 was a guess as i can get them wholesale
    >through the place i work, but have only ever sold one to a customer who was
    >a friend so he got it a bit cheaper.
    >
    >FYI the 8KNXP overclocks ok. I have a 2.4c doing 3GHz with stock voltage and
    >stock fan. Never had a problem once the board was finally set up.
    >
    >Steve

    As of Now Gigabyte has a load of new Bios's with Prescott & P4 EE support.

    I found this

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/computex2003_3.html

    But they were never black from what I can find..

    How is your Chipset Fan, my current Gigabyte MoBo has gone through 2 fans and
    one I re-lubed, I was give a Zalman heat sink to fix this constant problem,
    and its only a year old.

    What type of Ram are you using as that is what I am trying to do, is the CPU
    temo OK with the Sock fan..?

    Gregory Parker, Nov 10, 2003
  12. >
    > As of Now Gigabyte has a load of new Bios's with Prescott & P4 EE

    support.

    > I found this
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/computex2003_3.html
    >

    > But they were never black from what I can find..
    >

    > How is your Chipset Fan, my current Gigabyte MoBo has gone through 2 fans

    and
    > one I re-lubed, I was give a Zalman heat sink to fix this constant

    problem,
    > and its only a year old.
    >
    > What type of Ram are you using as that is what I am trying to do, is the

    CPU
    > temo OK with the Sock fan..?

    The chipset fan is fine, but i've only had the board 2 weeks. My albatron
    PE Pro ran fine at 250FSB with only a passive heatsink. The PC has 2 x 512
    DDR400 good generic ram called Adata, which the BIOS reports running at
    415MHz dual channel mode. CPU temp is low, the heatsink doesn't even get
    warm. It runs in an iCute case with 2 intake fans and 2 extra exhaust fans,
    keeps everything cool. Gonna add a Enermax 465watt PSU tonight after work, i
    don't trust the iCute one running 2 HDDs, 2 ROMs, FX5900 Ultra, big mobo/CPU
    etc etc and lots of fans.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Nov 11, 2003
  13. On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:06:16 +1300, "Stephen Williams" <>
    wrote:

    >> As of Now Gigabyte has a load of new Bios's with Prescott & P4 EE

    >support.
    >>

    >> I found this
    >>
    >> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/computex2003_3.html
    >>

    >> But they were never black from what I can find..
    >>

    >> How is your Chipset Fan, my current Gigabyte MoBo has gone through 2 fans

    >and
    >> one I re-lubed, I was give a Zalman heat sink to fix this constant

    >problem,
    >> and its only a year old.
    >>
    >> What type of Ram are you using as that is what I am trying to do, is the

    >CPU
    >> temo OK with the Sock fan..?
    >>

    >The chipset fan is fine, but i've only had the board 2 weeks. My albatron
    >PE Pro ran fine at 250FSB with only a passive heatsink. The PC has 2 x 512
    >DDR400 good generic ram called Adata, which the BIOS reports running at
    >415MHz dual channel mode. CPU temp is low, the heatsink doesn't even get
    >warm. It runs in an iCute case with 2 intake fans and 2 extra exhaust fans,
    >keeps everything cool. Gonna add a Enermax 465watt PSU tonight after work, i
    >don't trust the iCute one running 2 HDDs, 2 ROMs, FX5900 Ultra, big mobo/CPU
    >etc etc and lots of fans.
    >
    >Steve

    Thanks

    Yes I have a Icute and replace my PSU with the 420w Themaltake one..

    I only have the one with 120mm front fan that Icute supply..

    I have been told that Gigabyte have fixed the Fan problem.

    But what about the new cooler retention color...?

    All the ones that I have seen are Orange, that one is Yellow..

    Quote from the X-bit Labs web site

    "Well, the only design change mentioned by Gigabyte was the new cooler
    retention color, which has been turned from black to yellow (this way you will
    be able to distinguish between the Prescott-ready and Prescott-not ready
    boards :) "

    Gregory Parker, Nov 11, 2003
  14. > Thanks

    > Yes I have a Icute and replace my PSU with the 420w Themaltake one..
    >
    > I only have the one with 120mm front fan that Icute supply..
    >
    > I have been told that Gigabyte have fixed the Fan problem.
    >
    > But what about the new cooler retention color...?
    >
    > All the ones that I have seen are Orange, that one is Yellow..
    >

    > Quote from the X-bit Labs web site
    >
    > "Well, the only design change mentioned by Gigabyte was the new cooler
    > retention color, which has been turned from black to yellow (this way you

    will
    > be able to distinguish between the Prescott-ready and Prescott-not ready
    > boards :) "

    Mine's orange, so god knows what will happen when prescott comes out.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Nov 11, 2003