Abit BP6 motherboard donated too :-) - what CPU(s) can this one take ???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by no-name, May 30, 2004.

  1. no-name

    no-name Guest

    a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
    among the donated motherboards,
    there was a single Abit BP6 :)
    ( BX chipset - dual CPU )

    socket 370, obviously
    but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

    for example -
    don't some Socket 370 chips have a different voltage,
    or am I getting confused ???

    meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
    have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
    but no additional divider for the AGP bus...

    so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 :) -
    would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP

    any comments ???
    thanks in advance :)
    no-name, May 30, 2004

  2. no-name

    Jeff Smith Guest

    "no-name" <> wrote in message
    > a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
    > among the donated motherboards,
    > there was a single Abit BP6 :)
    > ( BX chipset - dual CPU )
    >
    > socket 370, obviously
    > but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???
    >
    > for example -
    > don't some Socket 370 chips have a different voltage,
    > or am I getting confused ???
    >
    > meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
    > have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
    > but no additional divider for the AGP bus...
    >
    > so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 :) -
    > would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP
    >
    > any comments ???
    > thanks in advance :)

    the BP6 is a one-of a kind motherboard, it I believe Will only work with
    very early celeron's.. check abit's website, and look at there manual
    Jeff Smith, May 30, 2004

  3. no-name

    no-name Guest

    "no-name" <> wrote in message
    > a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
    > among the donated motherboards,
    > there was a single Abit BP6 :)
    > ( BX chipset - dual CPU )
    >
    > socket 370, obviously
    > but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

    oops -
    I meant to emphasise the use of *dual* CPU's

    I assume this is only possible with a limited range of CPU's

    I know Intel now deliberately breaks multiprocessing ability
    in all but its Xeon range - but when did they start doing that ???

    what were the fastest Celerons that could do dual ??

    and/or would twin P3 work in a BP6 ???

    and if so, what would be the best pair ???
    ( avoiding any comments about who has the best pair... )

    thanks in advance :)
    no-name, May 30, 2004
  4. no-name

    Jeff Smith Guest

    Only going to be able to a 100mhz/66mhz bus, check out www.bp6.com
    Jeff Smith, May 30, 2004
  5. no-name

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 04:37:33 +0100, "no-name" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >a quick follow-up to my earlier posting
    >among the donated motherboards,
    >there was a single Abit BP6 :)
    >( BX chipset - dual CPU )
    >
    >socket 370, obviously
    >but are there any socket 370 CPU's that it *can't* take ???

    Yes.

    >for example -
    >don't some Socket 370 chips have a different voltage,
    >or am I getting confused ???

    Yes, and yes.

    >meanwhile - apparently the FSB speeds of 124MHz and 133MHz
    >have an extra divider for setting the PCI bus at 1/4 FSB
    >but no additional divider for the AGP bus...
    >so, my first thought is that a 133MHz FSB CPU - or 2 :) -
    >would get along better with a PCI graphics card than an AGP

    Go to bp6.com and read up. Given the situation, it won't hurt to try... or will it?

    >any comments ???

    I suggest that you test it, then sell it. Outfitting a dual setup with software that
    is actually capable of using both cpu's would cost more than a new standard system.
    Shel-hed, May 30, 2004