Abit BH6 motherboards ( donated to a charity ) - what is CPU limit if using a Socket 370 convertor ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by no-name, May 29, 2004.

  1. no-name

    no-name Guest

    thanks in advance for help and suggestions :)

    a local small charity has had some parts donated
    included in these are several Abit BH6 motherboards

    so, I've managed to work out that the BH6 can take
    AGP 2x graphics
    133MHz SD-RAM

    and the CPU is obviously Slot 1

    but, if using - is the word "slocket" ? -
    one of those convertor boards that allow a socket 370
    to plug into a Slot 1 motherboard -

    what would be the best CPU that could be fitted ??

    a quick look on ebay turned up a significant number of
    Socket 370 Pentium 3 at 800MHz - would they be compatible ???

    no-name, May 29, 2004

  2. no-name

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:54:41 +0100, "no-name" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >thanks in advance for help and suggestions :)
    >
    >a local small charity has had some parts donated
    >included in these are several Abit BH6 motherboards
    >
    >so, I've managed to work out that the BH6 can take
    >AGP 2x graphics
    >133MHz SD-RAM
    >
    >and the CPU is obviously Slot 1
    >
    >but, if using - is the word "slocket" ? -
    >one of those convertor boards that allow a socket 370
    >to plug into a Slot 1 motherboard -
    >
    >what would be the best CPU that could be fitted ??
    >
    >a quick look on ebay turned up a significant number of
    >Socket 370 Pentium 3 at 800MHz - would they be compatible ???

    If they are 800/100, yes, but you have to use a good converter that is OK for
    Coppermine CPUs. Asus' s370dl is one. 800/133 cpus will be underclocked.
    The board can use pc133, but bx chipsets are only rated at 100mhz.
    If newer ram is used, it may have to be "double sided", otherwise only half capacity
    will be detected. Micron chips work best.

    Shel-hed, May 29, 2004

  3. On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:54:41 +0100, "no-name"
    <> wrote:

    >thanks in advance for help and suggestions :)
    >
    >a local small charity has had some parts donated
    >included in these are several Abit BH6 motherboards

    (snip)

    Try posting this to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, or even googling
    that group a little (assuming google carries that group, I'm not
    sure). This question pops up every so often there; someone will
    probably send you a link to a supplier of Slot 1-->Socket 370
    adaptors.

    (I'm using a BH6 with a PIII/850, no adapter, and it wasn't easy
    finding that in Slot 1 configuration. I tried to order it, the
    supplier said "It doesn't exist", I said "Here's Intel's part number,
    order me one", and he said "Oh look, I guess it exists after all"...
    You can get Slot 1 PIII's right up to 1.1 GHz, but expect to pay
    through ye nose for them. Cheaper to buy a Celeron 1.4 GHz and an
    adapter, the combination of which will set you back US$84.50 brand
    new.)

    --
    Shalom

    Shalom Septimus, May 30, 2004