ABIT AV8 Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by henrichs_1@hotmail.com, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I bought an Athlon 64 4000 OEM CPU from Newegg and the ABIT AV8
    motherboard from Ebay. The Ebay dealer claimed the board was a
    refurbed. That could have been bad news from the beginning. I tried
    installing the board with everything plugged in. That included:

    CD-RW drive
    DVD-RW drive
    3 ATA HDDs (160gb, 120gb, and 250gb)

    (I know that may seem like overkill. I could bring that down to 2
    HDD, if I do some house cleaning with my files.)

    Nvidia 7600
    Sound Blaster X-FI
    ATI TV PCI card
    PCI card with 2 ATA ports
    512meg DDR3200-PNY
    512meg DDR3200-Ultra
    1gb DDR2700
    512meg DDR2700-Kingston
    Ultra 500 W Power Supply

    I would get the 83-9C-9E-9F post codes. Then it would shut down. I've
    seen all the posts about beeps, but I don't think I heard any. I
    tried everything under the sun to overcome all those post codes. I
    tried different configurations of the memory sticks and got nothing.
    I tried an Ultra 400 W Power Supply that came with my new case, and
    that didn't work. I tried a Nvidia 6600 card and even a Radeon All in
    Wonder AGP card. Neither of them worked. I pulled the CMOS battery
    out, and put it back in. Nothing there. I tried taking the board out
    of the case and I tried powering it up out of the case with just a
    stick of ram and the Radeon card. Still nothing. I pulled the CPU,
    and reinserted it. That didn't work. The memory can't be bad,
    because I put all 4 sticks (3 at a time) in an MSI board, and used the
    400 W power supply. I could get that old board to boot with no
    problems. I even tested the 400 W power supply on an old Gigabyte
    board, and the power supply worked on that board.

    That leaves me with 3 conclusions. The CPU, motherboard, or both are
    shot. I'm contacting Newegg about the CPU. I may have to send it
    back for a refund or replacement. I doubt I can get a refund or
    replacement on the board. I don't have another 939 board to try the
    CPU on. I don't feel like buying a new 939 board only to find out
    that CPU won't work on that one. I've seen posts that maybe the Abit
    board only works with the lower end Athlon 64 cpus, and that you need
    to flash the bios to get it working with the 4000 CPUs or the X2
    CPUs. I hope that isn't the case here, because I have no way in heck
    in flashing the bios to work with 4000 CPUs. The only other thing I
    could do is go to those sites that have those menus for selecting the
    correct memory for motherboards, and seeing if those sticks will
    work. Crucial has a site where you can select AV8 from a menu, and it
    gives you list of sticks that should work on the board. I could do
    that, but getting memory that way can be kind of expensive, and I
    don't need another 1-4 sticks that won't work on my board. Is there
    anything else I can do, or am I at the mercy of Newegg in getting a
    refund or replacement for my CPU. I would appreciate any replies.
    Thanks.

    Craig Henrichs

    , Apr 16, 2007

  2. old man Guest

    Remove all hw from the mobo, excepting cd,single hd,single ram stick(PNY)
    and graphics - mouse/keybd/monitor obviously
    Clear cmos, set bios to defaults and retry

    PS Branded memory guaranteed to be compatible with your mobo is not much
    more expensive than oem, at least this side of the pond

    old man, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Apr 16, 2:12 pm, "old man" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > board only works with the lower end Athlon 64 cpus, and that you need
    > > to flash the bios to get it working with the 4000 CPUs or the X2
    > > CPUs. I hope that isn't the case here, because I have no way in heck
    > > in flashing the bios to work with 4000 CPUs. The only other thing I
    > > could do is go to those sites that have those menus for selecting the
    > > correct memory for motherboards, and seeing if those sticks will
    > > work. Crucial has a site where you can select AV8 from a menu, and it
    > > gives you list of sticks that should work on the board. I could do
    > > that, but getting memory that way can be kind of expensive, and I
    > > don't need another 1-4 sticks that won't work on my board. Is there
    > > anything else I can do, or am I at the mercy of Newegg in getting a
    > > refund or replacement for my CPU. I would appreciate any replies.

    I bought a marked down Gigabyte 939 board that had an AGP slot from a
    local store.
    If that board doesn't work, I should be able to return it unlike the
    Abit board. That board didn't work either. All I put on it was just
    the CPU, 512meg of ram, and a video card. The fans on the CPU and the
    video card would run, but nothing would show up on the screen. I had
    to turn it off, by turning off the power supply. I gave up trying to
    get either board to work. I took the boards to the local store where
    I got the Gigabyte board. I told them I bought the Gigabyte board
    from your store, because I couldn't get the CPU to work with my Abit.
    I also needed another board to see if maybe the CPU was bad, because
    it couldn't work on 2 different boards. If the CPU is good, maybe
    there is something in the board's bios that is keeping the boards from
    working. I tried pulling the batteries, but that didn't work.
    They're going to take a look at both boards, and see if they can
    either one to work. The sheet that they had me signed stated that
    they won't charge me to look at both boards, but that could change. I
    don't want to spend too much money trying to get either board to
    work. If I didn't have a Nvidia 7600 512 meg AGP card and I had a PCI
    express card, I would have gotten a brand new board that had a PCI
    Express slot. I also told them that Newegg would only exchange my CPU
    for another 64 4000 CPU. That wouldn't help if there is something in
    the board's bios that is hanging them up.

    Maybe I should have gotten a cheap Sempron 64 cpu for my Abit instead
    of getting a Gigabyte board. If I could get the Sempron to work on
    the Abit then maybe I could have gotten the AMD 64 4000 working
    through a bios flash.

    I didn't feel like getting an AM2 board, because that would have
    required more expensive DDR2 memory along with a PCI express card. I
    thought AM2 cpus still cost at least $100+. I only found one AM2
    board that had an AGP, but it was micro ATX board.

    , Apr 18, 2007