Abit AN7 V1.0 motherboard boot problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tony C, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Tony C

    Tony C Guest

    Hello all,

    I received as a christmas present, a brand new Abit AN7 V1.0 motherboard.
    With it I received a stick of 512 PC4000 Cosair DDR SDRAM,
    an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 333 CPU,
    Hitachi 160GB SATA hard drive,
    and a new PNY Nvidia 5200FX Ultra video card.

    My complaint is this: when I put everything together, the fans and the
    harddrive spun up. The AN7 has a POST code LED on the mobo itself to relay
    the POST process onto the user. This also lit up and began showing several
    numbers, most likely in HEX. After a few moments with no video feed from the
    video card, the computer shut itself down automatically. The POST sequence
    went something like this: 00, 8.3., 8.4. Then it sat for a couple of
    seconds (2-3) and then spit what looks like a 9.A. then a 4, then it reset
    to 00. When the POST code reset to 00, the fans and the harddrive stopped
    spinning. There was never any video to suggest and positive POST process.

    I've tried resetting the BIOS with the jumper and also with taking the
    battery out and with both methods.
    I tried without the harddrive connected.
    I tried without the video card.
    without the memory, any of the FPIO, FPUSB, FP1394 (front panel input, usb,
    or firewire).
    All with the same result.

    Then I thought that it might be my processor, so I checked it out in another
    computer which worked fine. As a matter of fact, everything else,
    withstanding the connectors and the hard drive, worked in another computer.

    So, I'm at a loss for what else I can do to check the motherboard out. I
    will ask the present giver for the place of purchase to see if I can't get
    an RMA but I was kinda hoping I could get this mobo working and fire my new
    rig up. Any help would be appreciated.

    Peace,
    Tony
    Tony C, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Tony C

    Patrick Guest

    Tony C wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I received as a christmas present, a brand new Abit AN7 V1.0
    > motherboard. With it I received a stick of 512 PC4000 Cosair DDR
    > SDRAM,
    > an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 333 CPU,
    > Hitachi 160GB SATA hard drive,
    > and a new PNY Nvidia 5200FX Ultra video card.
    >
    > My complaint is this: when I put everything together, the fans and the
    > harddrive spun up. The AN7 has a POST code LED on the mobo itself to
    > relay the POST process onto the user. This also lit up and began
    > showing several numbers, most likely in HEX. After a few moments with
    > no video feed from the video card, the computer shut itself down
    > automatically. The POST sequence went something like this: 00, 8.3.,
    > 8.4. Then it sat for a couple of seconds (2-3) and then spit what
    > looks like a 9.A. then a 4, then it reset to 00. When the POST code
    > reset to 00, the fans and the harddrive stopped spinning. There was
    > never any video to suggest and positive POST process.
    >
    > I've tried resetting the BIOS with the jumper and also with taking the
    > battery out and with both methods.
    > I tried without the harddrive connected.
    > I tried without the video card.
    > without the memory, any of the FPIO, FPUSB, FP1394 (front panel
    > input, usb, or firewire).
    > All with the same result.
    >
    > Then I thought that it might be my processor, so I checked it out in
    > another computer which worked fine. As a matter of fact, everything
    > else, withstanding the connectors and the hard drive, worked in
    > another computer.
    >
    > So, I'm at a loss for what else I can do to check the motherboard
    > out. I will ask the present giver for the place of purchase to see if
    > I can't get an RMA but I was kinda hoping I could get this mobo
    > working and fire my new rig up. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Peace,
    > Tony

    I don't know what I'm on about, but your ref. to memory says 'PC4000' where
    as at below link its says 'DDR400 support', as I say though I don't know
    what I'm on about (believe me).

    Anyway at link below thiere is a User-Manual (in case you don't have one)
    etc.;
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=158
    Patrick, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Tony C

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 06:42:19 GMT, Tony C wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    > I received as a christmas present, a brand new Abit AN7 V1.0 motherboard.
    >With it I received a stick of 512 PC4000 Cosair DDR SDRAM,
    >an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 333 CPU,
    >Hitachi 160GB SATA hard drive,
    >and a new PNY Nvidia 5200FX Ultra video card.
    >
    >My complaint is this: when I put everything together, the fans and the
    >harddrive spun up. The AN7 has a POST code LED on the mobo itself to relay
    >the POST process onto the user. This also lit up and began showing several
    >numbers, most likely in HEX. After a few moments with no video feed from the
    >video card, the computer shut itself down automatically. The POST sequence
    >went something like this: 00, 8.3., 8.4. Then it sat for a couple of

    See the codes in the manual or this file
    http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/note/AWARD_and_uGuru_POST_code_v100.pdf

    The manual also lists a recovery procedure in case overclocking settings
    are wrong / see the KB articles to clear CMOS before getting an RMA.
    http://www.abit-usa.com/faq/mb/2002073001.php

    Abit newsgroup
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

    >seconds (2-3) and then spit what looks like a 9.A. then a 4, then it reset
    >to 00. When the POST code reset to 00, the fans and the harddrive stopped

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Tony C

    Tony C Guest

    That may be but I tried my dad's system memory which is PC3500 or DDR333 and
    I received the same result. The discrepency is not, I believe, the system
    memory.

    BTW, PC-4000 system memory is DDR500.

    Tony C, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Tony C

    Patrick Guest

    Tony C wrote:
    > That may be but I tried my dad's system memory which is PC3500 or
    > DDR333 and I received the same result. The discrepency is not, I
    > believe, the system memory.
    >
    > BTW, PC-4000 system memory is DDR500.

    Have you seen the reply to to you by 'why?' ?
    Did you reset the BIOS (jumper setting) ?

    Patrick, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Tony C

    Tony C Guest

    I reset the CMOS using the jumper. Set it on pins to reset for 30 mins. and
    tried again, same result. I tried taking the lithium battery out for 30
    minutes and the same result. Tried both methods with the same result. I'm
    beginning to think the board is just faulty and that I need to send it back
    to them.

    Peace,
    Tony

    Tony C, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Tony C

    Tony C Guest

    Re: Abit AN7 V1.0 motherboard boot problem <UPDATE>

    Ok, I feel really stupid but I figured out what my previous problem was:

    When I originally seated the motherboard, I put the studs in what looked
    like all places I needed them. I included one that would support the memory
    area in the event that I should install more memory because this area has
    been notoriously undersupported. Well, there wasnt a hole for one there and
    today I figured out why. Between testing every piece of hardware in my
    machine, I noticed soft audible clicks which I attributed to the PC speaker.
    Today I unplugged the speaker as a last resort type of dilerious plea to the
    computer Gods to get my computer to run. It was then that I noticed the
    clicks still and remembered the sound from when you get static shock from a
    door handle or something metal when you've shuffled your feet on the carpet
    for awhile. I removed the mainboard from it's seat and removed the stud in
    questsion and placed it somewhere else and found that all the previous
    problems dissappeared when I turned my machine back on. Instead, I have a
    whole stack of new problems that I'm sorting out.

    As soon as I can identify my new problem, I will let you know.

    Peace,
    Tony

    PS. Goooooo TIGAHS!!!!!
    Tony C, Jan 5, 2004