    big city stores?
    Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Bob Williams

    cal Guest

    You might want to look at www.newegg.com and www.keh.com

    I have bought two cameras from newegg and recently a camera and three
    lenses from keh.

    I buy computer equipment from newegg all the time and have never had a
    less than perfect experience. Only bought from keh once, but also
    perfect.

    cal, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Bob Williams

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:38:41 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
    >He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
    >max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
    >Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
    >I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
    >their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.

    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Bob Williams

    Don B Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
    > He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
    > max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
    > Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
    > I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
    > their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
    > Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
    > time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
    > The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
    > Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
    > trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
    > type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
    > big city stores?
    > Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
    > Bob Williams

    I have been warned away from them. The only two NY stores I will deal
    with are B&H and Adorama.

    Don B, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Bob Williams

    nck Guest

    Second that on B&H. I have dealt with them most of my life, starting with
    their days as a small storefront in the 'teens streets around Union Square.
    I have ordered from them ever since I left NYC in '89 and have never had one
    problem.

    nck, Jan 25, 2005
  6. I am the owner of RadioActiveDeals.com - We are new to the online
    business, we have only been online for a little over 1 year however I
    have a retail store that has been open for almsot 24 years. I am
    currently campaigning with BizRate and our ratings are well. We are
    Customer Certified an have an average rating of 8.1 out of 10. My
    prices are great and the service is wonderful. I have experienced
    photographers on staff who are ready to answer any questions you may
    have. Give us a shot and I'm sure you will be happy. Check out our
    ratings @

    http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide/merchant_detail__mid--72367.html
    Call us at our toll free number 1-866-526-8080.

    Thanks!

    RadioActiveDeals, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Bob Williams

    Guest

    Archived from Don B <> on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:16:15
    -0600:

    >Bob Williams wrote:
    >> I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
    >> He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
    >> max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
    >> Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
    >> I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
    >> their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
    >> Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
    >> time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
    >> The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
    >> Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
    >> trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
    >> type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
    >> big city stores?
    >> Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
    >> Bob Williams
    >>

    >I have been warned away from them. The only two NY stores I will deal
    >with are B&H and Adorama.

    Ditto on Adorama. Their customer service is second to none.

    vm

    , Jan 25, 2005
  8. Bob Williams

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    "RadioActiveDeals" <> wrote:

    > however I
    > have a retail store that has been open for almsot 24 years.

    What is it's name?

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Bob Williams

    SamSez Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    > I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
    > He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
    > max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
    > Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
    > I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
    > their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
    > Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
    > time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
    > The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
    > Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
    > trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
    > type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
    > big city stores?
    > Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
    > Bob Williams

    www.resellerratings.com

    compare the rating against, say B&H.

    and then read the feedback to know what you might expect...

    SamSez, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Bob Williams

    chris Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
    > He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
    > max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
    > Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
    > I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
    > their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
    > Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
    > time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
    > The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
    > Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
    > trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
    > type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
    > big city stores?
    > Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
    > Bob Williams

    Try BuyDig if you want low price.

    chris, Jan 25, 2005
  11. "Bob Williams"
    > I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
    > He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
    > max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
    > Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
    > I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
    > their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
    > Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
    > time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
    > The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
    > Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
    > trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
    > type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
    > big city stores?
    > Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?
    > Bob Williams

    Before I knew better I ordered from them. They overcharged on a battery
    and shipping to make up the difference on the advertised low price, bringing
    the total to more than B&H or Adorama. They'll never have another shot at
    my wallet.

    Fletis Humplebacker, Jan 25, 2005
  12. Bob Williams

    Jeremy Guest

    "Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in message

    > Before I knew better I ordered from them. They overcharged on a battery
    > and shipping to make up the difference on the advertised low price,

    bringing
    > the total to more than B&H or Adorama. They'll never have another shot at
    > my wallet.

    Isn't is fascinating how otherwise reasonable, smart people can be duped
    over just a few dollars in lower price?

    Jeremy, Jan 25, 2005
  13. Bob Williams

    Tony Guest

    Do not trust people who give good ratings to places they make money from.
    Abe's has a greater than two decade reputation for shafting the public. They
    do NOT sell cheaper, they simply advertise cheaper then screw the customer
    who falls for their trap.
    Buy from someone reliable like Adorama. I've been buying form them for 15
    years or more now and never had a bad experience. Get recommendations from
    REAL people then sort through them and buy from honest stores.
    Adorama is at http://wwwadoramacamera.com

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jan 25, 2005
  14. Bob Williams

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jan 25, 2005
  15. Bob Williams

    DFS Guest

    Geeze, wonder why this guy doesn't point us toward his rating at
    www.resellerratings.com? Maybe it's because all of the reviews paint him as
    a typical Brooklyn sleezeball - even though he seems to have an address in
    Queens.

    Do your homework before ordering online kiddies!

    DS

    DFS, Jan 25, 2005
  16. Bob Williams

    Yip Yap Guest

    "Don B" <> wrote in message

    > I have been warned away from them. The only two NY stores I will deal with
    > are B&H and Adorama.

    I'll add J&R to that list. They are excellent, and their
    shipping costs are a bit lower than B&H.

    www.jandr.com

    -- Yip

    Yip Yap, Jan 25, 2005
  17. "Jeremy"

    > "Fletis Humplebacker"
    > >

    > > Before I knew better I ordered from them. They overcharged on a battery
    > > and shipping to make up the difference on the advertised low price,

    > bringing
    > > the total to more than B&H or Adorama. They'll never have another shot at
    > > my wallet.
    > >

    > Isn't is fascinating how otherwise reasonable, smart people can be duped
    > over just a few dollars in lower price?

    As is assuming too much. I hadn't bought photo gear via
    mail order before and was unaware of the schemes. I
    purchased many thousands of dollars of equipment for
    at least 15 yearsfor my business prior to that and never had
    such an experience. Try not to be so smug.

    Fletis Humplebacker, Jan 25, 2005
  18. Check out ephotocraft. I just bought a 20D/17-85mm kit from them, and
    I'm anxious to do business with them again. Their price was fair - $1998
    plus $10.44 for ground ship. The salesperson was kind, helpful,
    courteous and unhurried. They're located in VA near DC. They advertise
    that they handle no gray market items. 6 mos. rating was 10.0 for 18
    reviews. Lifetime was 9.94 for 44 reviews.

    http://www.ephotocraft.com/Amazing/index.asp?CartId=9315577JWKFF-ACCWARE-512

    Paul

    pjruiz(nospaam), Jan 25, 2005
  19. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Yip Yap wrote:
    > "Don B" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have been warned away from them. The only two NY stores I will deal with
    >>are B&H and Adorama.
    >>

    > I'll add J&R to that list. They are excellent, and their
    > shipping costs are a bit lower than B&H.
    >
    > www.jandr.com
    >
    > -- Yip

    Interesting!
    All of my really GOOD past experiences in camera eqipment purchases were
    with B&H, Adorama and J&R Music. The very same ones being advised here.
    Thanks all, for the confirmation
    Bob

    Bob Williams, Jan 25, 2005
  20. Bob Williams

    Crownfield Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > I am considering buying a Digicam from "Abe's of Maine."
    > He has the lowest price and is listed as a "Trusted Store" (4* out of 5*
    > max.) by DealTime which is a link provided by Steve's Digicams .
    > Several other vendor rating sites also give Abe's a very high rating.
    > I always worry about those Brooklyn camera stores after seeing some of
    > their store fronts posted by Don Wiss from time to time in this NG.
    > Seems as I recall Don cautioning us about Abe's, but the post was a long
    > time ago and I can't trust my poor old memory for that length of time.
    > The fact that their name is Abe's of Maine but they are located on Coney
    > Island Blvd. in Brooklyn makes me a little uneasy. Seems like they are
    > trying to give the false impression that they are a folksy, back-home
    > type store in the backwaters of Maine, out of the dog-eat-dog world of
    > big city stores?
    > Anyone have any experiences (Good or Bad) with this vendor?

    Abe's of Maine
    http://www.abesofmaine.com
    Customer Satisfaction
    Six-Month Rating: 4.64
    Six-Month Reviews: 35
    Lifetime Reviews: 80

    Lifetime Rating: 4.59 Average Reseller: 7.23
    High Average: 9.08
    Low Average: 3.55

    6.50 Pricing of Products and Services
    2.79 Likelihood of Future Purchases