    Can anyone suggest a likely cause (and cure) please?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 9, 2008

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:59:43 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >Several of my regular programs have started displaying the name of the
    >file opened in abbreviated (DOS 8.3) form, instead of the full name.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a likely cause (and cure) please?

    Haven't seen this in any of my 'regular programs', so my guess is a
    bug in whatever these 'regular programs' you use.

    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2008

  3. Terry Pinnell

    chuckcar Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote in

    > Several of my regular programs have started displaying the name of the
    > file opened in abbreviated (DOS 8.3) form, instead of the full name.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a likely cause (and cure) please?

    Put the following line in the batch file for them:

    set LFN=Y

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 9, 2008
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:09:40 +0100 (CET), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Put the following line in the batch file for them:
    >
    >set LFN=Y

    A batch file? For a Windows Program??

    Wow. What are you on?

    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2008
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote in
    >
    >> Several of my regular programs have started displaying the name of the
    >> file opened in abbreviated (DOS 8.3) form, instead of the full name.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a likely cause (and cure) please?

    >Put the following line in the batch file for them:
    >
    >set LFN=Y

    Chucktard can hurt your OS, you read, chuckle, then find some real
    advice.

    Not knowing what OS your using, there was that option in the control
    panel/folder Options/View up to Win2000.

    XP apparently requires a Registry edit, you need to figure out why it
    changed in the first place/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007
    --

    http://le-petit-ange.webobo.com/part/1/3/9/8/part_139839.jpg

    , Nov 9, 2008
  6. Terry Pinnell

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Pinnell <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Several of my regular programs have started displaying the name of the
    >>> file opened in abbreviated (DOS 8.3) form, instead of the full name.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone suggest a likely cause (and cure) please?

    >>Put the following line in the batch file for them:
    >>
    >>set LFN=Y

    > Chucktard can hurt your OS, you read, chuckle, then find some real
    > advice.

    No mention or *asking* even of OS, only that the "name is displayed in
    abbreviated form" the fact that it displays it at *all* dictates that
    we're talking about DOS in some form. Now unless *you* can prove you have
    a clue about this just **** off.

    > XP apparently requires a Registry edit, you need to figure out why it
    > changed in the first place/
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007

    Bullshit. It's a setting that's existed since 95. You don't mess around
    with regedit if you can avoid it at *all*. *First* you eliminate the
    commone causes *then* you worry about system "flaws". Technet only give
    fixes where there *are* no setting problems.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 9, 2008
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 22:45:53 +0100 (CET), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Bullshit. It's a setting that's existed since 95. You don't mess around
    >with regedit if you can avoid it at *all*. *First* you eliminate the
    >commone causes *then* you worry about system "flaws". Technet only give
    >fixes where there *are* no setting problems.

    How about since you have no clue what you're talking about either, you
    do the same?

    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2008
  8. wrote:

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Pinnell <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Several of my regular programs have started displaying the name of the
    >>> file opened in abbreviated (DOS 8.3) form, instead of the full name.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone suggest a likely cause (and cure) please?

    >>Put the following line in the batch file for them:
    >>
    >>set LFN=Y

    >Chucktard can hurt your OS, you read, chuckle, then find some real
    >advice.
    >
    >Not knowing what OS your using, there was that option in the control
    >panel/folder Options/View up to Win2000.
    >
    >XP apparently requires a Registry edit, you need to figure out why it
    >changed in the first place/
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007

    Thanks. I wasn't aware of that performance hit, or indeed that you
    could switch off 8.3 file creation. I may try that. I'm guessing that
    the equivalent command to RE-enable it is:
    fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1
    although that's not explicit in the KB article. I've tried neither
    command yet. I do occasionally use 8.3 filenames so I'm concerned that
    running that disable command might remove that facility.

    Anyway, as you may have seen from my reply to Pegasus, I'm (happily)
    unable to reproduce the problem right now. Mind you, I hate unsolved
    puzzles, and I expect this issue will return when I've forgotten about
    it!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 9, 2008
  9. Terry Pinnell

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > wrote in
    >
    >> Chucktard can hurt your OS, you read, chuckle, then find
    >> some real advice.
    >>

    > No mention or *asking* even of OS, only that the "name is
    > displayed in abbreviated form"

    Most newish posters do not mention the OS since they don't know
    they should, etc.

    > the fact that it displays it
    > at *all* dictates that we're talking about DOS in some
    > form.

    My CD-R file titles display in DOS format under Windows, at
    least some of the time. I don't know why, and thank fubar, I
    don't care.

    > Now unless *you* can prove you have a clue about this
    > just **** off.

    Jeesh, will you kids stop it? "Can't we all just get along?"

    <SNIP>

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 9, 2008
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >No mention or *asking* even of OS, only that the "name is displayed in
    >abbreviated form" the fact that it displays it at *all* dictates that
    >we're talking about DOS in some form.

    Don't need to know the OS, the feature was used until Windows 2000 you
    could enable 8.3 thru the folder options.

    If your capable of doing so, in a CMD window type in DIR /X
    both long and 8.3 convention are listed, it's a trick to delete files
    with higher ascii names (you delete the 8.3 file name)

    As I look now this was also posted to
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general so how you can come up with DOS..

    Second opinion
    http://v2.tlab404.com/articles/detail.asp?iFaq=377&iType=15
    regedit.
    This will disable using DIR /X as the 8.3 will no longer be listed

    --

    http://le-petit-ange.webobo.com/part/1/3/9/8/part_139839.jpg

    , Nov 10, 2008
  11. Terry Pinnell