AAUI to Ethernet vs. AUI to Ethernet tranceiver?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JXM2119, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. JXM2119

    JXM2119 Guest

    Hi all, I have a question concerning trancievers
    with my cisco 25xx routers. In order for me to
    connect the ethernet ports to them I of course need
    tranceivers. My question is can I use some of the
    old style Mac cables vs. buying new little tranceivers.

    see examples below.....

    If you are unsure of what I am talking about look at links here:
    AAUI to Ethernet tranceiver:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73320&item=5759379574

    AUI to Ethernet tranceiver:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73320&item=5757088955

    Thanks in advance,
    - Jay
    JXM2119, Mar 11, 2005

  2. JXM2119

    sqrfolkdnc Guest

    According to this web page, the AAUI has a different pinout and
    probably a different connector, so it would not work.

    http://www.hardwarebook.net/cable/network/aaui2aui.html

    www . hardwarebook.net/cable/network/aaui2aui . html

    You should be able to find the little tranceivers cheaper than that.
    sqrfolkdnc, Mar 11, 2005

  3. JXM2119 <jxm2119_AT_rochester.rr.com@> writes:
    >Hi all, I have a question concerning trancievers
    >with my cisco 25xx routers. In order for me to
    >connect the ethernet ports to them I of course need
    >tranceivers. My question is can I use some of the
    >old style Mac cables vs. buying new little tranceivers.

    >see examples below.....

    No, Mac is AAUI, which are tiny little things compared to AUI. Same
    idea, same execution, just a different connector. You'll spend way
    more than $10 to get some sort of adaptor (if one even exists) from
    AAUI to AUI that the Cisco has.

    But, the 2nd link you posted to the AUI transceiver will work just
    fine. I've used those particular models way in the past.
    Doug McIntyre, Mar 11, 2005