AARGH: SBPCI128 (CT4750/ES1371)? and W2K

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Walter Mautner, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. Hi there.
    Spent a nightshift because I could not believe that a standard creative
    sb128 (ct4750 labelled) which works fine with XP on the same box, is unable
    to produce any sound in w2k. At some time the driver - tried with
    SBPCI(WDM) or 1371 - installed without any exclamation mark in device
    manager, but control panel/multimedia all the time shows "no device" and
    everything greyed out. No option to add volume control etc. - though in
    "hardware" tab the driver showed up as operating. Too f*cking STOOOOOOPID.
    Well, in event viewer I found some "informational" messages regarding a
    "program failure in '*' (isWDMDriver)" or something like that. But then, no
    red cross and no program or driver name.
    Must say I have tried 3 different pci slots, no difference, while XP always
    found the card with the ES1371 driver and gives the (again f*cking) startup
    sound.
    Anyone got the same experience and preferrably a solution, without urging me
    to subscribe for a paid forum helpline or/and asking my social ensurance
    number + my stepfathers birthday?
    Mmhm, went home to my linux box, where I often have to rmmod/modprobe bttv
    in order to get my $(insert_cheap_crap_tv_card) radio to work, but at least
    there is something I can do about it but curse :)
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Walter Mautner

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Did you go to Creative's web site and look for W2K drivers?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Did you go to Creative's web site and look for W2K drivers?

    Oh yes, but then it's obviously a OEM $cheapcrap version and you know
    Creative changed chipsets more often then their managers their bedwear.
    They appear to have some "universal" packages, but no luck.
    Driverguide caught me (late at night, forgive) downloading a package
    designed for win95/98 though I searched for 2K.
    What I think, the "WDM" stuff which it always wanted to install, appears
    obsolete for win2k. I even got into the inf directory and moved all *.inf
    files with "sbpci" inside, then tried to uncompress/install the package.
    Still no luck.
    Let me look at workplace, where we have a bunch of such (spare) cards and
    maybe even driver cds are wasting space :).

    Walter Mautner, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Walter Mautner

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > | Hi there.
    | > | Spent a nightshift because I could not believe that a standard
    creative
    | > | sb128 (ct4750 labelled) which works fine with XP on the same box, is
    | > unable
    | > | to produce any sound in w2k. At some time the driver - tried with
    | > | SBPCI(WDM) or 1371 - installed without any exclamation mark in device
    | >
    | > Did you go to Creative's web site and look for W2K drivers?
    | >
    | Oh yes, but then it's obviously a OEM $cheapcrap version and you know
    | Creative changed chipsets more often then their managers their bedwear.
    | They appear to have some "universal" packages, but no luck.
    | Driverguide caught me (late at night, forgive) downloading a package
    | designed for win95/98 though I searched for 2K.
    | What I think, the "WDM" stuff which it always wanted to install, appears
    | obsolete for win2k. I even got into the inf directory and moved all *.inf
    | files with "sbpci" inside, then tried to uncompress/install the package.
    | Still no luck.
    | Let me look at workplace, where we have a bunch of such (spare) cards and
    | maybe even driver cds are wasting space :).

    I hear ya...I'm having the same problem with an OEM modem produced by USR
    (3Com). If I could just remember what computer I stole...er...took it out of
    (grin) I could probably get the drivers that work correctly.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Hey, I happen to have a CD-Rom from Creative Labs for the PCI128SB Model
    CT4750 Card with drivers for the following OP's Win95A Win95B/C Win
    98/Win98SE/ME NT4.0 & Win2000 If this would help contact me at my add (
    not munged.).. Also I happen to have two other CD's for sound Blaster PCI128
    Sound Cards that do NOT have the Drivers for NT4.0 and Win 2000. Also have
    the sound cards, but am unable to tell which one is good for the Win 2000
    and which is not, maybe only drivers that are different and not the cards.
    I know these work with 95/98/98SE/& Win ME and XP Pro. I do not know about
    Win 2000 since it is one of the programs I have not used.. Get hold of me
    and maybe I can send (Mail) you a copy of the CD
    Charlie

    Charlie Evans, Nov 8, 2004