Aaahhh, Dimdows ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2009.

  1. Reading this description of using the MSCONFIG utility to troubleshoot boot problems <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=22138>, I just had to
    chuckle. Somebody at Microsoft is pulling your leg, and you don't even realize it.

    I mean honestly, to take lines like

    [386enh]
    woafont=dosapp.FON
    EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON

    stick checkboxes next to them, and call the result a "GUI", is just farcical.

    Not to mention the funniest joke of all, which is that you have to have successfully booted in order to run MSCONFIG in the first place.
    So how do you use it to troubleshoot _real_ boot problems?

    For criticism to be constructive, it should offer a better way of doing things. So for comparison I will mention how the Linux
    bootloader, GRUB, handles this. If you're having trouble with your boot configuration, you can troubleshoot it directly at boot time,
    editing lines in the file on the fly. It even helps you by displaying a synopsis of what to do:

    Press 'b' to boot, 'e' to edit the selected command in the
    boot sequence, 'c' for a command-line, 'o' to open a new line
    after ('O' for before) the selected line, 'd' to remove the
    selected line, or escape to go back to the main menu.

    And as for the boot config file itself, it contains snippets like

    ## timeout sec
    # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
    # (normally the first entry defined).
    timeout 5

    # Pretty colours
    color cyan/blue white/blue

    #
    # examples
    #
    # title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
    # root (hd0,0)
    # makeactive
    # chainloader +1
    #
    # title Linux
    # root (hd0,1)
    # kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
    #

    That's right--you can have explanatory comments! These not only tell you what to do, you can add ones to explain to yourself, for future
    reference, why you set things up the way you did. For some reason, GUI tools don't seem to provide this capability. So if what you're
    doing with them isn't "intuitive" and "obvious", you're guaranteeing hours of bafflement for those who have to come after you, or even
    for you yourself in the future.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Reading this description of using the MSCONFIG utility to
    >> troubleshoot boot problems <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=22138>, I
    >> just had to chuckle. Somebody at Microsoft is pulling your leg, and
    >> you don't even realize it.
    >>
    >> I mean honestly, to take lines like
    >>
    >> [386enh]
    >> woafont=dosapp.FON
    >> EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
    >>
    >> stick checkboxes next to them, and call the result a "GUI", is just
    >> farcical.

    > Laz, you really need to get out more.
    >
    > Those sections are only for back-compatability with ancient Win versions.

    I havent seen those options there since XP, not there on my windows 7 or
    vista machines.
    Richard, Aug 5, 2009

  3. In message <h5bdpe$qup$>, Richard wrote:

    > I havent seen those options there since XP ...

    Which is still what most people mean by "Windows".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2009