AAA login banner and Cisco VPN client problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by lombardi, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. lombardi

    lombardi Guest

    Hello group,

    We are having a problem getting the AAA authentication banner to
    appear when a Cisco VPN client remotely connects. The Radius server
    is a windows 2000 IAS server. The router is a 2621 with VPN bundle.
    The aaa authentication works fine. The problem is when a user uses the
    cisco vpn client to vpn into the cisco 2621 router the aaa
    authentication banner "example" does not appear. Can you do this
    with my setup and configuration or am I missing something. I can
    change the username-prompt and password-promt messages and that works
    fine. What we are looking for is a way for an "unathorized user"
    banner to appear when a vpn client connects and authenticates against
    the IAS server.

    Thanks,

    Joe

    lombardi, Dec 18, 2003

  2. lombardi

    Jason Kau Guest

    lombardi <> wrote:
    > We are having a problem getting the AAA authentication banner to
    > appear when a Cisco VPN client remotely connects. The Radius server
    > is a windows 2000 IAS server. The router is a 2621 with VPN bundle.
    > The aaa authentication works fine. The problem is when a user uses the
    > cisco vpn client to vpn into the cisco 2621 router the aaa
    > authentication banner "example" does not appear. Can you do this
    > with my setup and configuration or am I missing something. I can
    > change the username-prompt and password-promt messages and that works
    > fine. What we are looking for is a way for an "unathorized user"
    > banner to appear when a vpn client connects and authenticates against
    > the IAS server.

    Are you sure IOS can send a banner to the Cisco VPN client? I thought
    only the VPN Concentrators could...

    --
    Jason Kau
    http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

    Jason Kau, Dec 18, 2003

  3. lombardi

    Joe Sallmann Guest

    Jason Kau <> wrote in message news:<brt219$sia$>...
    > lombardi <> wrote:
    > > We are having a problem getting the AAA authentication banner to
    > > appear when a Cisco VPN client remotely connects. The Radius server
    > > is a windows 2000 IAS server. The router is a 2621 with VPN bundle.
    > > The aaa authentication works fine. The problem is when a user uses the
    > > cisco vpn client to vpn into the cisco 2621 router the aaa
    > > authentication banner "example" does not appear. Can you do this
    > > with my setup and configuration or am I missing something. I can
    > > change the username-prompt and password-promt messages and that works
    > > fine. What we are looking for is a way for an "unathorized user"
    > > banner to appear when a vpn client connects and authenticates against
    > > the IAS server.

    > Are you sure IOS can send a banner to the Cisco VPN client? I thought
    > only the VPN Concentrators could...

    I'm not entirely sure. I find it odd that you can change the username
    and password prompt for the client but not create a banner. How do
    you warn against unauthorized use if you can't create a banner. The
    only thing I found remotely close to what I want to do is the AAA
    authentication banner. Thanks for the response

    Joe Sallmann, Dec 19, 2003
  4. lombardi

    Jason Kau Guest

    Joe Sallmann <> wrote:
    >> Are you sure IOS can send a banner to the Cisco VPN client? I thought
    >> only the VPN Concentrators could...

    > I'm not entirely sure. I find it odd that you can change the username
    > and password prompt for the client but not create a banner. How do
    > you warn against unauthorized use if you can't create a banner. The
    > only thing I found remotely close to what I want to do is the AAA
    > authentication banner. Thanks for the response

    As far as I know, you can't send a banner to VPN clients with the PIX and
    so I assume you can't with IOS either...

    --
    Jason Kau
    http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

    Jason Kau, Dec 20, 2003