    levels in this camera to give me the desired effects !!??
    Please help !!
    , Dec 10, 2004

  2. Jon Pike Guest

    Jon Pike, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am very new to d-cameras and my first buy is a canon powershot a95. I
    > would like to know whether this piece is a good camera - in the sense
    > that would i be able to use it as a profesional piece. What i know
    > about this camera is that the resolution i get is definitely good,
    > however is it flexible enough !!
    > can i manually adjust the focus, the shutter speed and the aperture
    > levels in this camera to give me the desired effects !!??
    > Please help !!

    Perhaps it's time to open the manual and find out.
    :)
    Mark², Dec 10, 2004
  4. Guest

    Ok let me reframe it. I know it can be done. But how good is it !!??
    , Dec 10, 2004
  5. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Ok let me reframe it. I know it can be done. But how good is it !!??

    Uuhhhhh...
    How "good" is it...for what?????

    >What i know
    >about this camera is that the resolution i get is definitely good,
    >however is it flexible enough !!

    Flexible enough...for what????

    >can i manually adjust the focus, the shutter speed and the aperture
    >levels in this camera to give me the desired effects !!??

    What "desired effects" are you looking for??????

    >Please help!!!!!

    You make that pretty tough, bub.
    Mark², Dec 10, 2004
  6. Arvin Guest

    ok pardon my previous not-so-specific post... let me clarify
    I have been reading stuff about apertures and focus and stuff.
    now i lower the aperture of my a95 to the minimum F2.8 - Aim
    to get a picture where i get only the object i focus on and the
    background
    all blurred out. in vain though.
    eg ->
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Photography_Techniques/Composition/Keep_It_simple_01.htm

    so the vague question posted earlier - whether i can change those
    settings
    (maybe me has erred somewhere) and get the desired effect me had in
    mind
    or is my cam not as powerful to get such an effect.
    Hope i make sense now.
    Arvin, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Mark² Guest

    "Arvin" <> wrote in message
    > ok pardon my previous not-so-specific post... let me clarify
    > I have been reading stuff about apertures and focus and stuff.
    > now i lower the aperture of my a95 to the minimum F2.8 - Aim
    > to get a picture where i get only the object i focus on and the
    > background
    > all blurred out. in vain though.
    > eg ->

    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Photography_Techniques/Composition/Keep_It_simple_01.htm

    > so the vague question posted earlier - whether i can change those
    > settings
    > (maybe me has erred somewhere) and get the desired effect me had in
    > mind
    > or is my cam not as powerful to get such an effect.
    > Hope i make sense now.

    Yes. You make sense this time.
    :)

    The A95 does have manual mode (according to the specifications), so you
    should be able to control aperture and shutter speed. This will allow you
    to set the aperture at anywhere from 2.8 to 4.9, depending upon where you
    are in the zoom range. Unfortunately, the longer end of the zoom
    (telephoto)--where you would likely use for portraits--will not be able to
    use the larger 2.8.
    Mark², Dec 10, 2004
  8. Arvin Guest

    Thanks a lot for the reply and patience ...
    Arvin, Dec 10, 2004
  9. "Arvin" <> writes:
    >ok pardon my previous not-so-specific post... let me clarify
    >I have been reading stuff about apertures and focus and stuff.
    >now i lower the aperture of my a95 to the minimum F2.8 - Aim
    >to get a picture where i get only the object i focus on and the
    >background
    >all blurred out. in vain though.

    If you want a very shallow depth of field, you will need to get a DSLR.

    The A95 and *all* other non-SLR digital cameras use sensors that are far
    smaller than a 35 mm film frame. In the case of the A95, it is about
    1/5 the size of a 35 frame. This means that for the same field of view
    the lens focal length is 1/5 as long as well (a normal lens is 10 mm).
    And that gives you 5 times as much depth of field at the same aperture.

    Only the DSLRs have sensors anywhere near the size of a 35 film frame.
    They also allow using fast f/1.4 or f/1.8 lenses for shallow DOF.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 12, 2004