A8n32-sli deluxe possibly the problem?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. The problem is, one, my xp proffessional copy won't install, because its
    pre-servicepack 1 or 2, pretty much the first cd outa the factory. I
    couldn't get windows to update, or install dx9 or my nvidia drivers or my
    asus drivers, i basically couldn't get my copy to install, so i got this
    trial, and probly am gonna purchase it(i was ignorant and didn't no that you
    could run both 64 and 32 bit, i thought it was solely 64 bit(none of my
    games!!!))

    the deal is, both my mouse and keyboard are usb driven, not ps2. After
    restarting, or shutting down, crashing, no matter how i restart my computer,
    when windows reloads, the: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. always
    comes up with an error, disabling my usb devices. so i had to kipe my
    roomates ps2 mouse and swap(major degrade from my razer diamondback le to a
    MI micro innovations mouse...) to get around in windows with some sort of
    input device. to get them to work, i uninstall the standard openhcd usb host
    controller, then on usb controllers i tell it to scan for new hardware, and
    it finds and gets everything up and running correctly. the usb ports work at
    the bootup screen from bios all the way up until about 2 seconds from leaving
    the "Windows xp x64 edition" blue scrolling bar screen. then the num-lock
    key turns off and no more keyboard. Going to a ps2 keyboard is not an
    option, as i have a logitech g15 keyboard(i spent way to much on my usb input
    devices to have to deal with this shizen) I have all updates from logitech,
    windows, and I just went to asus and there usa download site is down
    temporarily, but i no i have the latest bios and i'm sure that there arn't
    any updates there. so i am just clueless, is there someway to lock the
    device manager out from resetting?

    thanks in advance
    --
    You are only who you are when no one else is looking.

    =?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=, Mar 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=

    Martin S. Guest

    Does your motherboard have the latest bios?

    Martin S., Mar 7, 2006

  3. yes, I have updated it as well, the very latest bios

    =?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Tell me, what version is this? Is it one of the Beta's, then you may be out
    of luck unless you can borrow non-USB stuff. It is not the SP's - they are
    included. The Beta's will not update, your update is the next Beta! Count
    yourself lucky, you have saved yourself a whole lot of trouble that some of
    the rest of us have had to see through a year ago, scrap any Beta versions
    and go download the trial. ( I think it is still on-line? ) With the trial
    you can make updates, it is in every bit the same as the shipping version,
    except for the time-bomb. The USB issue is well known. I was not subjected
    to it myself. You may, however, need to get yourself an alternative strategy
    for that one.

    Tony. . .

    ( By the way - I am collecting good quotes, yours IS good, and it is one of
    nature's laws; Quantum Physics!)

    Tony Sperling, Mar 8, 2006
  5. First off, thx, i like my quote too, Secondly, I downloaded the
    trial(timebomb, which idk what i did, but the timer doesn't come up anymore,
    from 12 days left now its to like 4) but anyways, its the trial, i've gotten
    updates for it.
    in My Computer/Properties, it reads Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1. I checked asus download center, and i
    updated everything, went to nvidia, got the latest chipset drivers, and the
    video card(to make sure and rule out everything i could think of) I unplugged
    the 2 usb ports on my case, unplugged everything usb connecting to the rear,
    nothing, it still resets it. the real problem, other than i have to
    reinstall it(only takes about 30 seconds) is that windows takes about 2-5
    minutes to boot up everytime. if i dont uninstall and reinstall it takes
    about 25 seconds for a complete load, interactive and all. sorry for the
    long post, thx for reading it and another thx for any advice.

    =?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=, Mar 8, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=

    Martin S. Guest

    A couple of things, make sure you have the x64 version of the motherboard
    drivers, also make sure the keyboard and mouse is plugged directly into the
    motherboard USB ports NOT the case USB ports that connected via the headers
    on the motherboard.

    Martin S., Mar 8, 2006
  7. yeah, i got the x64 version of every piece of software that has that version
    that i use, ie vga driver chipset, audio. and i have unplugged the usb ports
    that are connected to my case, nothing but the 4 usb ports onthe motherboard,
    even with both unplugged. it still happens. It seems that my x64 trial has
    become an authentic install also, theres no button on the startmenu to:
    activate now. i just got a free copy of xp x64 from microsoft themselves.

    =?Utf-8?B?YiBkdWI=?=, Mar 8, 2006
  8. Yes, the trial is o.k. - I just returned home, so need to wrap my head
    around the issue, but I think you should check your BIOS settings for USB.
    One of these options in some BIOS's is concerning 'Legacy USB' or
    something - it should be disabled.

    I'll be back!

    "There is no Truth, no Reality, and no Consistency! And most likely I am
    totally wrong as well." (Anonymous)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 8, 2006
  9. I really do think you'll be saving yourself a lot of headache if you find a
    PS/2 Keyboard. What you are seing is an effect of the machine booting from
    your BIOS, so it sees the USB but the installation cannot see it that way.
    If you refuse, your best alternative would probably be an 'Unattended
    Install'. I've used nLite myself to burn a ISO from my installation disc,
    but the trouble is, you'll need an installed system to to do it.

    There are other methods, I think - google for the term and you'll hit on
    most of them.

    Regards, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 9, 2006