    positioned. Is the 4 MP up to the task if cropping is an issue?
    --

    Monroe
    Monroe, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Monroe

    Cathy Guest

    "Monroe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Wondering if anyone has hands on experience with both of these. The
    > only major difference appears to be the 4MP vs 5MP. Checked out the
    > substantial pro reviews. I'm wondering if the focusing and exposure
    > systems in these are similar or (perhaps) identical and if so, result
    > in identical output and/or concerns. I live in the stix . . . little
    > chance to check these out without a trip to the city. Online, the
    > price difference in my neck of the woods is about $100 Cdn. I
    > appreciate any and all responses.

    Don't know much personally about these two cameras,but my son has had a
    Canon A80 for a while , which is similar quality to the two you mention,
    and he says its a great camera. I just wondered where did you see them
    for $100.00 Can? Thats an amazing price. I live in Toronto and you
    appear to be in Western Canada where the prices are usually more than
    Toronto, and the cheapest I've seen them here is A75 was $269.00 Can. at
    Best Buy and the A95 is going for $329.00 Can.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Monroe

    Bud Light Guest

    "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > "Monroe" <> wrote in message
    > > Wondering if anyone has hands on experience with both of these. The
    > > only major difference appears to be the 4MP vs 5MP. Checked out the
    > > substantial pro reviews. I'm wondering if the focusing and exposure
    > > systems in these are similar or (perhaps) identical and if so, result
    > > in identical output and/or concerns. I live in the stix . . . little
    > > chance to check these out without a trip to the city. Online, the
    > > price difference in my neck of the woods is about $100 Cdn. I
    > > appreciate any and all responses.

    > Don't know much personally about these two cameras,but my son has had a
    > Canon A80 for a while , which is similar quality to the two you mention,
    > and he says its a great camera. I just wondered where did you see them
    > for $100.00 Can? Thats an amazing price. I live in Toronto and you
    > appear to be in Western Canada where the prices are usually more than
    > Toronto, and the cheapest I've seen them here is A75 was $269.00 Can. at
    > Best Buy and the A95 is going for $329.00 Can.
    >
    > Cathy

    I believe she mentioned that it was a price difference of $100 Cdn.
    However, if you can get the A95 for $329 Cdn. then go for it. That's a
    really good price cause here in Eastern Ontario that Camera is still selling
    over $400. Lowest I've seen so far for the A95 is $419.

    Bud Light, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Monroe

    Cathy Guest

    "Bud Light" <> wrote in message

    > "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > > "Monroe" <> wrote in message
    > > > Wondering if anyone has hands on experience with both of these.

    The
    > > > only major difference appears to be the 4MP vs 5MP. Checked out

    the
    > > > substantial pro reviews. I'm wondering if the focusing and

    exposure
    > > > systems in these are similar or (perhaps) identical and if so,

    result
    > > > in identical output and/or concerns. I live in the stix . . .

    little
    > > > chance to check these out without a trip to the city. Online, the
    > > > price difference in my neck of the woods is about $100 Cdn. I
    > > > appreciate any and all responses.

    > > Don't know much personally about these two cameras,but my son has

    had a
    > > Canon A80 for a while , which is similar quality to the two you

    mention,
    > > and he says its a great camera. I just wondered where did you see

    them
    > > for $100.00 Can? Thats an amazing price. I live in Toronto and you
    > > appear to be in Western Canada where the prices are usually more

    than
    > > Toronto, and the cheapest I've seen them here is A75 was $269.00

    Can. at
    > > Best Buy and the A95 is going for $329.00 Can.
    > >
    > > Cathy

    > I believe she mentioned that it was a price difference of $100 Cdn.

    You are right. I mis-read.

    > However, if you can get the A95 for $329 Cdn. then go for it. That's

    > really good price cause here in Eastern Ontario that Camera is still

    selling
    > over $400. Lowest I've seen so far for the A95 is $419.

    And I see I mis-typed also.Sorry about that. I meant to say that the A85
    sells here for around $329.99 though I've seen it for sale for $299.99
    recently. It looks like they want to sell off these models as the Canon
    A510 and A520 (which take two batteries) have replaced the A75 and A85,
    though many reviews say the A75 and A85 are better cameras. The
    A95 here is around $420.00 and is $440.00 in Futueshop last time I
    looked.
    It has a nice 1.8" swivel LCD which I like, but I don't want to pay that
    much.
    The A80 is around $349.99, but I've only seen it at STaples. The A75 has
    been
    on sale the most recently at $279.99 at one store and in another store
    was $269.99.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Mar 27, 2005
  5. Monroe

    Bud Light Guest

    "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Monroe" <> wrote in message

    > The

    > the

    > exposure

    > result

    > little
    > > >
    > > > Don't know much personally about these two cameras,but my son has

    > had a
    > > > Canon A80 for a while , which is similar quality to the two you

    > mention,
    > > > and he says its a great camera. I just wondered where did you see

    > them
    > > > for $100.00 Can? Thats an amazing price. I live in Toronto and you
    > > > appear to be in Western Canada where the prices are usually more

    > than
    > > > Toronto, and the cheapest I've seen them here is A75 was $269.00

    > Can. at
    > > > Best Buy and the A95 is going for $329.00 Can.
    > > >
    > > > Cathy

    > > I believe she mentioned that it was a price difference of $100 Cdn.

    > You are right. I mis-read.
    >
    > > However, if you can get the A95 for $329 Cdn. then go for it. That's

    > > really good price cause here in Eastern Ontario that Camera is still

    > selling
    > > over $400. Lowest I've seen so far for the A95 is $419.

    > And I see I mis-typed also.Sorry about that. I meant to say that the A85
    > sells here for around $329.99 though I've seen it for sale for $299.99
    > recently. It looks like they want to sell off these models as the Canon
    > A510 and A520 (which take two batteries) have replaced the A75 and A85,
    > though many reviews say the A75 and A85 are better cameras. The
    > A95 here is around $420.00 and is $440.00 in Futueshop last time I
    > looked.
    > It has a nice 1.8" swivel LCD which I like, but I don't want to pay that
    > much.
    > The A80 is around $349.99, but I've only seen it at STaples. The A75 has
    > been
    > on sale the most recently at $279.99 at one store and in another store
    > was $269.99.
    >
    > Cathy

    I just picked up the A75 today at a local photo shop. Future Shop is
    selling the A85 on sale this weekend for $299 but it has the black handle
    and trim. I know that when the A85 first came out it had a dark grey trim
    and handle. I'm not sure why the color change cause I think it's exclusive
    to FS. I'm not sure if they're refurbished units or not. You are correct
    that the A75 and A85 have gotten better reviews than the newer A510 and
    A520. I got the A75 because of its' excellent reviews and ergonomically it
    feels better with that nice handle. I'm surprised you are still able to
    locate an A80. The A95 has also gotten very good reviews.

    Bud Light, Mar 27, 2005
  6. Monroe

    Guest

    I am not an expert but I have the A95 and very pleased with the
    results.
    The four batteries help to make it a bit bigger than some.
    I will try to answer any questions you may have but i do not know your
    other camera.
    , Mar 27, 2005
  7. Monroe

    Dave Cohen Guest

    The A85 is an upgrade to the A75. The A95 is an upgrade to the A80. The A95
    has a large lcd and larger sensor plus pre-set shooting modes. I have the
    A95, it's an excellent camera. My upgrade was from an A40 from which I got
    some fine shots. The A95 has much more control and of course the higher
    resolution.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Mar 27, 2005
  8. Monroe

    Malevil Guest

    I have the A95, wife has the A85.

    Besides the flip-out screen and 5 vs 4 MP, there are a couple of major
    differnces that make the A95 a no brainer for anyone who might consider
    improving their skills.

    The A95 has a user progammable setting that can be completely customized.
    Mine is set for manual focus f2.8, no flash, vivid color, hi speed capture.
    The sports shots that it takes are incredible - no prefocusing, 15 frames
    (?) in about 3 seconds. Also, user settings on the other modes are saveable
    with the A95. With the A85, you have to reset everything everytime you turn
    the camera - great pics, tho.

    Will

    Malevil, Mar 27, 2005
  9. Monroe

    Cathy Guest

    "Bud Light" <> wrote in message

    > "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > > "Bud Light" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > I just picked up the A75 today at a local photo shop. Future Shop is
    > selling the A85 on sale this weekend for $299 but it has the black

    handle
    > and trim. I know that when the A85 first came out it had a dark grey

    trim
    > and handle. I'm not sure why the color change cause I think it's

    exclusive
    > to FS. I'm not sure if they're refurbished units or not.

    Yes, I noticed that Future shop have the A85 on sale this week for
    $299.99 and their A75 and A85 and I think their A95 seem to have the
    black handle. I've never seen any other stores where they have that
    black handle. they are all a little bit darker gray than the camera
    body, but not black. It seems to be excluse to FS. I don't think they
    are refurbished units. If they are refurbished, FS mentions this on
    their web site.
    How much did you pay for the A75? I saw it for $269.00 at a local stereo
    store ad. and $279.99 at Blacks cameras. If Staples have the same model,
    they will price match and give you 50% of the difference. FS and Best
    buy have price matches too, but only give you 10% of the difference.

    You are correct
    > that the A75 and A85 have gotten better reviews than the newer A510

    and
    > A520. I got the A75 because of its' excellent reviews and

    ergonomically it
    > feels better with that nice handle. I'm surprised you are still able

    > locate an A80. The A95 has also gotten very good reviews.

    I only saw the A80 on the Staples site, nowhere else. I can't remember
    seeing it at any of their stores though. The A80 has the swivel LCD but
    its only 1.5" - too small for me. I'm blind as a bat :). The A95 has a
    swivel LCD, but its 1.8" which is better. I have 4 Staples stores close
    to where I live. I have two FS , and a Best buy just built at Christmas
    which is also not far.
    I had been looking forwad to seeing the A510 and A520 because they were
    smaller than the A75 and A85 and had 2 batteries instead of 4 and
    changed to SD memory cards because of making the camera smaller, so
    expected the same quality of photos of the cameras they were replacing,
    namely the A75 and A85, but that doesn't seem to be the case or I would
    probably have bought the A510 when it came out in January. but its also
    a bit expensive at $299.99 for a 3 MP camera considering the A75 can be
    bought for $269.99. Same with the A520. its more than the A85.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Mar 27, 2005
  10. Monroe

    Bud Light Guest

    "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Bud Light" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > > I just picked up the A75 today at a local photo shop. Future Shop is
    > > selling the A85 on sale this weekend for $299 but it has the black

    > handle
    > > and trim. I know that when the A85 first came out it had a dark grey

    > trim
    > > and handle. I'm not sure why the color change cause I think it's

    > exclusive
    > > to FS. I'm not sure if they're refurbished units or not.

    > Yes, I noticed that Future shop have the A85 on sale this week for
    > $299.99 and their A75 and A85 and I think their A95 seem to have the
    > black handle. I've never seen any other stores where they have that
    > black handle. they are all a little bit darker gray than the camera
    > body, but not black. It seems to be excluse to FS. I don't think they
    > are refurbished units. If they are refurbished, FS mentions this on
    > their web site.
    > How much did you pay for the A75? I saw it for $269.00 at a local stereo
    > store ad. and $279.99 at Blacks cameras. If Staples have the same model,
    > they will price match and give you 50% of the difference. FS and Best
    > buy have price matches too, but only give you 10% of the difference.
    >
    > You are correct
    > > that the A75 and A85 have gotten better reviews than the newer A510

    > and
    > > A520. I got the A75 because of its' excellent reviews and

    > ergonomically it
    > > feels better with that nice handle. I'm surprised you are still able

    > > locate an A80. The A95 has also gotten very good reviews.

    > I only saw the A80 on the Staples site, nowhere else. I can't remember
    > seeing it at any of their stores though. The A80 has the swivel LCD but
    > its only 1.5" - too small for me. I'm blind as a bat :). The A95 has a
    > swivel LCD, but its 1.8" which is better. I have 4 Staples stores close
    > to where I live. I have two FS , and a Best buy just built at Christmas
    > which is also not far.
    > I had been looking forwad to seeing the A510 and A520 because they were
    > smaller than the A75 and A85 and had 2 batteries instead of 4 and
    > changed to SD memory cards because of making the camera smaller, so
    > expected the same quality of photos of the cameras they were replacing,
    > namely the A75 and A85, but that doesn't seem to be the case or I would
    > probably have bought the A510 when it came out in January. but its also
    > a bit expensive at $299.99 for a 3 MP camera considering the A75 can be
    > bought for $269.99. Same with the A520. its more than the A85.
    >
    > Cathy

    I got the A75 for $200. However, I got it on consignment. It was still new
    and never used though. The person got it as a gift but didnt' want it. Be
    wary of what you find on the Staples website. They will list everything
    however they will not stock everything. Most discontinued items like the
    A75 will be listed on their website but when I called to see if they had it
    they said NO cause it was discontinued.
    Bud Light, Mar 27, 2005
  11. Monroe

    Cathy Guest

    "Bud Light" <> wrote in message

    > "Cathy" <> wrote in message
    > > How much did you pay for the A75? I saw it for $269.00 at a local

    stereo
    > > store ad. and $279.99 at Blacks cameras. If Staples have the same

    model,
    > > they will price match and give you 50% of the difference. FS and

    Best
    > > buy have price matches too, but only give you 10% of the difference.

    > I got the A75 for $200. However, I got it on consignment. It was

    still new
    > and never used though. The person got it as a gift but didnt' want

    it. Be
    > wary of what you find on the Staples website. They will list

    everything
    > however they will not stock everything. Most discontinued items like

    the
    > A75 will be listed on their website but when I called to see if they

    had it
    > they said NO cause it was discontinued.

    Actually, I don't think Staples have the A75 on their site for a while
    now, and while looking around in two of their stores, I didn't see it
    there either. I've found more often that sometimes things are not listed
    on their web site, but they had in the store. I've noticed on Staples
    website that they don't have as many cameras listed as they did a few
    months ago. I don't know what that would be. Also,
    some Staples stores have certain cameras in stock and others don't. I
    haven't looked for the A75 in any of their stores recently.
    Your price of $200.00 Can. is an excellent price.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Mar 28, 2005