    Can one of you smart guys assist?

    Tanx!

    Frosty
    Frosty, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Frosty

    Budweiser Guest

    Read the specs in the manual that came with it

    http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=217&l1=3&l2=13&l3=56

    Budweiser, Jan 26, 2007

  3. Frosty

    PeeCee Guest

    "Frosty" < > wrote in message
    >I want to speed up my PC.
    > I've already put in SATA hard drives so I have 1000gigs, I've put in 3
    > gigs of PC3200 400MHz DDR 184-Pin DIMM RAM so I'm thinkin' maybe I can
    > put a faster processor in it.
    > Presently it has am AMD Sempron 2800+ OEM Pulls Socket A 333FSB 2.0GHz
    > L2 256.
    > I'm Googlin' like a madman but for the life of me can't find the
    > maximum processor that'll fit & work.
    > Can one of you smart guys assist?
    >
    > Tanx!
    >
    > Frosty

    Frosty

    3200+ according to AMD

    http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_182_869_4348^7923~63674,00.html

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 26, 2007
  4. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 04:39:04 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "Budweiser" <>, cocked his hammer and shot:
    > Read the specs in the manual that came with it
    >
    >http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=217&l1=3&l2=13&l3=56

    Yeah Bud, I found that. I also have the hardcopy.
    But while I can easily copy all the kewl techie sounding letters and
    numbers off my receipts, I don't know what any of that means in
    regards to 'what is the most tweekie processor I can stick in there'
    So I was hopin' that with all the info I gave about what I had,
    someone could toss me a more substantial clue than just your RTFM.

    But thanks fir takin' the time.

    Frosty, Jan 26, 2007
  5. Frosty

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:18:51 -0500, Frosty wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 04:39:04 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >"Budweiser" <>, cocked his hammer and shot:
    >> Read the specs in the manual that came with it
    >>
    >>http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=217&l1=3&l2=13&l3=56

    >Yeah Bud, I found that. I also have the hardcopy.
    >But while I can easily copy all the kewl techie sounding letters and
    >numbers off my receipts, I don't know what any of that means in
    >regards to 'what is the most tweekie processor I can stick in there'
    >So I was hopin' that with all the info I gave about what I had,
    >someone could toss me a more substantial clue than just your RTFM.

    Usually the match for RTFM is STFW.

    If you want to tweak things, then check out the many hardare forums /
    sites for overclocking / tweaking.

    Most if not all of these links will have been posted in 24HSHD several
    times, and searchable using

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
    http://www.overclockers.com/
    http://www.overclockersonline.com/
    http://www.tomshardware.com
    www.xbitlabs.com
    www.hardwareanalysis.com

    However something just as easy,
    www.google.com
    overclock a7n8x-e
    tweak a7n8x-e

    >But thanks fir takin' the time.
    >>

    >>"Frosty" < > wrote in message
    >>>I want to speed up my PC.
    >>> I've already put in SATA hard drives so I have 1000gigs, I've put in 3
    >>> gigs of PC3200 400MHz DDR 184-Pin DIMM RAM so I'm thinkin' maybe I can
    >>> put a faster processor in it.
    >>> Presently it has am AMD Sempron 2800+ OEM Pulls Socket A 333FSB 2.0GHz
    >>> L2 256.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jan 26, 2007
  6. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:10:41 +1300 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "PeeCee"
    <>, cocked his hammer and shot:

    >"Frosty" < > wrote in message
    >>I want to speed up my PC.
    >> I've already put in SATA hard drives so I have 1000gigs, I've put in 3
    >> gigs of PC3200 400MHz DDR 184-Pin DIMM RAM so I'm thinkin' maybe I can
    >> put a faster processor in it.
    >> Presently it has am AMD Sempron 2800+ OEM Pulls Socket A 333FSB 2.0GHz
    >> L2 256.
    >> I'm Googlin' like a madman but for the life of me can't find the
    >> maximum processor that'll fit & work.
    >> Can one of you smart guys assist?
    >>
    >> Tanx!
    >>
    >> Frosty

    >Frosty
    >
    >3200+ according to AMD
    >
    >http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_182_869_4348^7923~63674,00.html
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    So, forgive me my ignorance, but what should I buy then?
    Frosty, Jan 26, 2007
  7. Frosty

    old man Guest

    It really depends what you want to speed up ie games/graphics/data.
    Any bottleneck may not be solely down to the cpu.
    In any case socket A cpu's may be in short supply, it is after all about
    three/four revisions old
    A Barton cpu would probably be the fastest, as to whether you would notice
    any improvement.......?

    old man, Jan 27, 2007
  8. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:06:29 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "old man"
    <>, cocked his hammer and shot:
    >It really depends what you want to speed up ie games/graphics/data.
    >Any bottleneck may not be solely down to the cpu.
    >In any case socket A cpu's may be in short supply, it is after all about
    >three/four revisions old
    >A Barton cpu would probably be the fastest, as to whether you would notice
    >any improvement.......?

    Graphics & data. I play a game or two but just for fun. Don't need
    spped, have cheat codes. :)

    Frosty, Jan 28, 2007