    Can someone with the same camera share his experiences?
    Thanks.

    G.
    Gianandrea Gobbo, Dec 10, 2006

  2. Gianandrea Gobbo

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Gianandrea Gobbo" <> writes:
    > I'm playing with my new A710 but I'm really puzzled about the battery
    > life of my AA Ni-MH. The camera displays the out of barrery message
    > very soon. A test of which gives me still 2.6 V, that should be a good
    > voltage. Current is good also (>5 Ah short circuit). I'm wondering if I
    > have something wrong with this unit anso to return it under warranty.
    > Can someone with the same camera share his experiences?

    Somebody posted something similar recently, his camera shows a
    surprisingly high cutoff voltage. I think my A530 may be acting that
    way a little bit too. Does the camera actually shut down or just
    display the low battery icon? If it's just showing that warning, try
    seeing how long you can keep on shooting.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 10, 2006

  3. On 10 Dic, 15:47, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > Somebody posted something similar recently, his camera shows a
    > surprisingly high cutoff voltage. I think my A530 may be acting that
    > way a little bit too. Does the camera actually shut down or just
    > display the low battery icon? If it's just showing that warning, try
    > seeing how long you can keep on shooting.

    Well, for a little I can go on shooting but after a while the finale
    "change the batteries" appears.
    I think I'll have to contact the assistance. Just when I was enjoing
    playing woth the new toy... :(
    Gianandrea Gobbo, Dec 10, 2006
  4. Gianandrea Gobbo

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Gianandrea Gobbo" <> writes:
    > I think I'll have to contact the assistance. Just when I was enjoing
    > playing woth the new toy... :(

    Well, if you get some Energizer L91 lithium AA cells they should run
    the camera for a long time (hundreds of shots), but they are expensive
    and not that easy to find, and you can't recharge them. Buying some
    might be a reasonable plan if (say) you want to postpone sending your
    camera for repair until after the holiday, so you can use it for xmas
    pictures.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 10, 2006
  5. Gianandrea Gobbo

    Len Guest

    "Gianandrea Gobbo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm playing with my new A710 but I'm really puzzled about the battery
    > life of my AA Ni-MH. The camera displays the out of barrery message
    > very soon. A test of which gives me still 2.6 V, that should be a good
    > voltage. Current is good also (>5 Ah short circuit). I'm wondering if I
    > have something wrong with this unit anso to return it under warranty.
    > Can someone with the same camera share his experiences?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > G.

    I have seen a review for that camera which says that alkalines did not last
    very long about 130 shots, not sure about ni mh battery.
    Apart from that it seems a very good camera which i am considering getting
    myself.
    Len, Dec 10, 2006
  6. On 10 Dic, 18:56, "Len" <> wrote:
    > ".I have seen a review for that camera which says that alkalines did not last
    > very long about 130 shots, not sure about ni mh battery.
    > Apart from that it seems a very good camera which i am considering getting
    > myself.

    The camera IS very good and the zoom+stabiler do a very great job.
    If there's a problem I think it's just of my unit, not the model.
    Don't worry about buyin one.

    g.
    Gianandrea Gobbo, Dec 10, 2006
  7. Gianandrea Gobbo

    ASAAR Guest

    On 10 Dec 2006 05:30:14 -0800, Gianandrea Gobbo wrote:

    > I'm playing with my new A710 but I'm really puzzled about the battery
    > life of my AA Ni-MH. The camera displays the out of barrery message
    > very soon. A test of which gives me still 2.6 V, that should be a good
    > voltage. Current is good also (>5 Ah short circuit). I'm wondering if I
    > have something wrong with this unit anso to return it under warranty.

    That's hard to say because your battery tests haven't cleared the
    batteries. Did you test the batteries under load? It's difficult
    checking them while they're still in the camera, but if you did and
    measured 2.6v, that would be a high voltage that good, freshly
    charged batteries couldn't provide for very long. If you measured
    open circuit voltage, it doesn't tell you very much. Neither does
    the short circuit test. You'd need to test how long the high
    current could be provided to know if the battery capacity is still
    good or not. Energizer's 2,500 mAh cells can provide 5 amps for
    just under 30 minutes. Batteries in terrible shape, deserving to be
    thrown away could supply 5 amps for 5 to 10 minutes.

    What condition do you think your NiMH AA batteries are in? How
    long have you had them? If you can't accurately test their
    capacity, the best way to evaluate your A710 would be to test them
    using a pair of fresh AA alkaline cells. The manual should indicate
    how many shots the A710 is expected to get using both alkaline and
    NiMH batteries, using two types of tests. Try to duplicate the CIPA
    test as shown in the manual, which (I'll quote from the A700 manual
    since I don't have the A710 manual) specifies shooting:

    > alternating wide angle end and telephoto end shots at 30 second
    > intervals with the flash fired once every two shots and the camera
    > power turned off after every tenth shot. Power is left off for a
    > sufficient amount of time*, then the power is turned back on and
    > the testing procedure is repeated.
    >
    > * Until the battery temperature returns to normal temperature

    This test should be done with the LCD display turned on. The A700
    is rated for 100 shots using alkaline cells and 400 using 2,500 mAh
    NiMH cells. I'd say that if you get at least 75 to 80 shots using
    alkaline batteries, the camera is probably working well. You could
    try the test using your NiMH cells, but if they aren't good for at
    least 350 shots, and I suspect that they won't be, you still won't
    know if the problem is caused by the batteries, your charger, the
    camera, or some combination of these. If you aren't sure about when
    the battery temperature returns to normal temperature, just fudge it
    by waiting 5 or 10 minutes before turning the camera back on.
    ASAAR, Dec 10, 2006
  8. On 10 Dic, 21:28, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > That's hard to say because your battery tests haven't cleared the
    > batteries. Did you test the batteries under load? It's difficult
    > checking them while they're still in the camera, but if you did and
    > measured 2.6v, that would be a high voltage that good, freshly
    > charged batteries couldn't provide for very long. If you measured
    > open circuit voltage, it doesn't tell you very much. Neither does
    > the short circuit test. You'd need to test how long the high
    > current could be provided to know if the battery capacity is still
    > good or not. Energizer's 2,500 mAh cells can provide 5 amps for

    I'll buy a good pair of new Ni-MH, and test them. I'll do also the test
    with a pair of alkalines, as you suggested and then draw a conclusion.
    I'll let the group know the result, possibly to clear this camera
    reputation.
    Thanks a lot for the help.

    G.
    Gianandrea Gobbo, Dec 11, 2006
  9. On 11 Dic, 08:25, "Gianandrea Gobbo" <> wrote:
    > I'll let the group know the result, possibly to clear this camera
    > reputation.
    > Thanks a lot for the help.
    >
    > G.

    As suspected all of my previous AA packs were a little tired: I bought
    a fresh new 2500 units and the A710 now works great.
    I also have to point out that the flash recharge cycle is faster that
    what's reported on some reviews, something about 3-4 seconds. I'm
    completely satisfied by my camera now! ;)

    G.
    Gianandrea Gobbo, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Gianandrea Gobbo

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:56:39 -0000, Len wrote:

    > I have seen a review for that camera which says that alkalines did not last
    > very long about 130 shots, not sure about ni mh battery.
    > Apart from that it seems a very good camera which i am considering getting
    > myself.

    For a camera that uses only 2 AA cells, 130 shots might not be
    bad, but it really depends on what kind of testing was done.
    Canon's own tests indicate that the A710 will get 100 shots using
    the CIPA procedure, which requires among other things that the LCD
    is turned on and that the flash is used for 1/2 of the shots. For
    outdoor shots where the flash wouldn't be used, and with the optical
    viewfinder used instead of the LCD, it should be good for 500 shots.
    If NiMH AA cells are used instead of alkalines, the 100 and 500
    shots increase to 360 and 900 shots, respectively.

    Battery life using either type is very good, but if decide to get
    the A710 and you would need to take a lot of flash pictures, NiMH
    would be the better choice not just because of the much greater
    number of shots it provides, but also because the camera won't take
    more pictures until the flash is recharged, and NiMH probably
    recharges the flash capacitor quicker than alkalines will.
    ASAAR, Dec 13, 2006
  11. Gianandrea Gobbo

    ASAAR Guest

    On 12 Dec 2006 23:51:17 -0800, Gianandrea Gobbo wrote:

    > As suspected all of my previous AA packs were a little tired: I bought
    > a fresh new 2500 units and the A710 now works great.
    > I also have to point out that the flash recharge cycle is faster that
    > what's reported on some reviews, something about 3-4 seconds. I'm
    > completely satisfied by my camera now! ;)

    Great! If it's anything like my old Powershot S10, you might be
    fortunate enough so that your main complaint might be "after 4 years
    why won't it break down so I can upgrade to a newer camera?" :)
    ASAAR, Dec 13, 2006